Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: XDM vs. XD

(Philadelphia County)

Default XDM vs. XD

I will start off by saying that I do not own either gun. I hate the XD, I love the XDM. I cannot explain why, I mean they aren't THAT different in appearance, having not shot the XDM I can only assume it shoots better. Can anyone explain to me why I feel this way?

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: XDM vs. XD

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    I will start off by saying that I do not own either gun. I hate the XD, I love the XDM. I cannot explain why, I mean they aren't THAT different in appearance, having not shot the XDM I can only assume it shoots better. Can anyone explain to me why I feel this way?
    I am assuming when you say "better", you mean more accurate and/or reliable. I believe the XD shoots well for a service-type gun. That is not to say other guns are not more accurate. After reading your post, I got my XD-9 out which I don't shoot very often and got out a high-end 9mm, a 952 S&W. IMHO, the XD-9 shot very respectable for a service gun placing 10 out of 10 rounds in the black of a 25 yard target at 25 yards. The 952 did better but it costs 3-4 times as much. I use the term "service gun" because the XD has to have a reasonable trigger weight, sights that won't snag on a holster, etc. The 952 isn't made for carry and it doesn't have much limitation on its trigger or sights, etc. I also think from a rest, the groups would have been even closer. I don't know what you want in your XD or XDm, but I think my XD does the job it was designed for very well. I hope this helps answer your question.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I am assuming when you say "better", you mean more accurate and/or reliable. I believe the XD shoots well for a service-type gun. That is not to say other guns are not more accurate. After reading your post, I got my XD-9 out which I don't shoot very often and got out a high-end 9mm, a 952 S&W. IMHO, the XD-9 shot very respectable for a service gun placing 10 out of 10 rounds in the black of a 25 yard target at 25 yards. The 952 did better but it costs 3-4 times as much. I use the term "service gun" because the XD has to have a reasonable trigger weight, sights that won't snag on a holster, etc. The 952 isn't made for carry and it doesn't have much limitation on its trigger or sights, etc. I also think from a rest, the groups would have been even closer. I don't know what you want in your XD or XDm, but I think my XD does the job it was designed for very well. I hope this helps answer your question.
    Agreed. I love my XD, and feel it is exceptionally accurate, especially at self defense ranges.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Butler County)

Although I liked my XD-9 I sold it after shooting the XDM-9 3.8. The XDM fits my hand (small) better especially with the interchangeable grip straps. I clearly shoot it better. Another thing I found interesting, from the top of the gun over grip same lenght but the XDM 19 rds vs XD 16 rds.

(Chester County)

I both the xd 40 and the xd 9 in 4inch size and love them both I tryed the xdm but the price was not worth it to me.

(Berks County)

I have both in 9. I really like the M better in that it seems to shoot a little better and the field strip does not require a trigger pull.

(Chester County)

i love my xd sub compact in 40s&w. that being said if i knew they had a 3.8" barrel xdm when i bought it i'd have probably dropped the extra loot on one instead.

the xd does shoot very respectably especially in the larger .40. i have no problem keeping all my shots in center mass on a b-27 type silhouette target at pretty much any range out to 25 yards with out having to really aim. my only gripe is that it doesn't have the manual thumb type safety and its a little thick for cc'ing. but over all i'm more than happy with it. it feels very nice in my hand and is easy to field strip.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE