Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Remington 870 for $300?

Some guy selling a rem 870 express super mag +ammo for $300 cash: is it worth it?
    he got it, took it out once, and didn't like it. only cycled a few rounds.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Remington 870 for $300?

I just picked up a new 870 Express variant for $332 today. The Remmy 870 and Mossberg 500 seem to be two very popular models. You might want to see exactly what variant it is to see if you think the price is worth it.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    Some guy selling a rem 870 express super mag +ammo for $300 cash: is it worth it?
    he got it, took it out once, and didn't like it. only cycled a few rounds.
    That's a pretty good deal. I bought a new 870 Express a few months ago for $329 not including tax and the rip off fees for the background check at a gun show a few months back.

(Berks County)

Just throwing this out there, at the Split Rock gun show this past weekend, a table there had a bunch of Century Arms Remington 870s, looked to be police trade-ins, probably, for $199 each. Keep an eye on the shows and dealers who carry a lot of Century stuff.

(Delaware County)

$300 is a fair price. Although for a little more cash, one could pick up a new example. I'd try to talk him down a bit to see how proud he is of that shotgun. Buy a box of ammo and break up some clays with it to see how the shotgun handles for you before making the decision to buy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Just throwing this out there, at the Split Rock gun show this past weekend, a table there had a bunch of Century Arms Remington 870s, looked to be police trade-ins, probably, for $199 each. Keep an eye on the shows and dealers who carry a lot of Century stuff.
    I've looked over these police trade in 870's. I thought it might be fun to pick up a bang around piece. IMO, the barrels are the problem. These police trade in's have an 18" cylinder choke on them for what I presume is to shoot slugs or close quarter buckshot ... something along those lines. Anyways if a smooth bore slug gun is desired ... by all means pick one up. Really can't go wrong with a deal like that.

If bird hunting is desired, the police trade in would need some work to fit an aftermarket choke or a new barrel altogether. Price wise, for me, these shotguns weren't worth the investment. For that same amount of money, I could pick up a new - albiet low end - 870 and get the tool I want.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the express models. Nothing functionally wrong with them, but they were built to compete with the cheapo Mossbergs, that is..plastic, less QC during manufacture etc. Get a used Wingmaster for that or under with nice wood, finish, QC. On my Wingmaster Police, they have extra QC during manufacture, it is all metal, no "looseness" as it were, and the police models were rarely shot.
    I have had an 870 express 12 ga for about 20 years now, its got a parkerized finish, and the thing is a tank, never misfed, always cycles any type of ammo. Take it out hunting, wipe her down and then throw it in the closet.These are awesome shotguns for the price, unless you put higher priority on pretty, not functional.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky66 View Post
    Didn't realize my assessment of express models would put owners of said models noses out of joint. IF YOU READ my comments thoroughly before getting pissy, it said "nothing functionally wrong with them". I agree they are a good buy for the price, and for those that feel only a NEW shotgun will do for them, then by all means buy one. I am of the mindset that used shotguns are rarely shot "loose", so I have no problem buying used. As for the putting priority on "pretty, not functional", my Wingmaster Police is far from "pretty", but the functional part is covered, WAY covered.
    LOL whoah, Leash them dogs. Not getting pissy here chief, just putting in my 2 cents, If you like a good looking shotgun over the utilitarian parkerized then by all means go for the wingmaster, BUT if you want low maintenance and dont care about blueing or the stock fit at the wrist or crappy checkering then go with the express.This is the point I am making. The QC issue is a non issue, its the finish of the wood, type of forearm, and the depth of the bluing, polish, fit and finish. These are what sets the Wingmasters above the Express. I'm not too sure about plastic parts, My gun is 20 years old, I think the only plastic thing was the plug and maybe the trigger guard. And if you can get a NEW shotgun less than a USED shotgun, I would rather go cheaper and get an extra box of ammo. And who gives a crap what gun your shooting as long as you can hit what your shooting at.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.