Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default where are the moderators?!?!?!?

not trying to piss anyone off but, imo, i think this forum is somewhat over-moderated, with all of the thread closings because there was a similar thread, and the whole not being to ask a question on the classified threads.

and then you have:

"Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you."

but most every thread here is of people asking what gunsmith to take it to, to do it for them?!?!?!?!!?

there is already a forum for that.

cant we keep this "gunsmithing" thread to gunsmithing ??? and not shopping for one????

(York County)

Default Re: where are the moderators?!?!?!?

haven't been on here a lot in recent months but "all of the thread closings because there was a similar thread" is more just organization. I appreciate not having to look at 5 threads on the same topic to learn what I want to know. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't seen much thread deleting or any post editing. They do allow freedom of speech and only when it's abused have I seen people banned.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    not trying to piss anyone off but, imo, i think this forum is somewhat over-moderated, with all of the thread closings because there was a similar thread, and the whole not being to ask a question on the classified threads.

and then you have:

"Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you."

but most every thread here is of people asking what gunsmith to take it to, to do it for them?!?!?!?!!?

there is already a forum for that.

cant we keep this "gunsmithing" thread to gunsmithing ??? and not shopping for one????
    Odd how we all think differently, I would think if there where real "gunsmiths" on the board, one would speak up and say I am at (and give his address) so probably the closest use to this area of the forum would be to find info on a good Smith. Just my 2 cents of course.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Northumberland County)

this is my point.

i would rather see a forum on gunsmithing info to "do it yourself" where one can possibly learn something new.

the whole "if you give a man a fish......" thing.

(Lebanon County)

I've seen lots of questions asking specifically about mechanical problems, modifications, interchangeability and other things that would qualify as gunsmithing related questions. I've seen a lot of good answers to those questions, and I can't remember even one such thread that was locked. I have seen a lot of questions as well as other types of posts not just relating to gunsmithing, that were posted in an inappropriate area and subsequently moved.
    If it's something that you could/should do by yourself with no formal training, you'll probably get the advice you're looking for. If not, you'll probably be told that you would be better off going to a qualified gunsmith.
    Either way, you'd be getting the proper advice.
    If you really want to do things yourself, there are lots of good books and courses available. It's not worth buying special tools without knowing how to use them, and if you have several guns and are a level headed do-it-yourself kind of person who knows when to stop and look for professional help, then you should have the proper tools and take it upon yourself to learn how, when and why to use them. That being the case, you can ask more specific questions when you get to something you aren't familiar with. Many times the wording of the question indicates the level of experience, therefore has a big impact on the answers.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put anyone down here, I'm just making observations and giving my opinion.
    As far as being "over-moderated", I've left several forums that really were over-moderated. This group is pretty good about self discipline and doesn't seem to need a lot of moderation. As far as combining and closing duplicate threads, I think that's necessary. If things need to be reorganized for clarity or simplicity, I have no problem with it, I think our mods are doing a great job.
    As far as posting questions, nobody but the original poster has control of where it's originally posted and how it's worded, and those 2 things will make a big difference on the responses/outcome.

Just my 2¢

(Northumberland County)

i concur that some things should not be attempted, but what im refering to is the multitude of "where do i take my gun to to get this done?" if someone would ask how to do something theirselves, and someone recomends someone to take it to because it is a job that may be to involved for them, thats great, and then there's information there on it to the next person who may be wondering. but merely asking "who in my town can do this" i feel, is worthless info to MOST people here,as thiis is a fairly large state, and a smith near one can be 2-3 hrs from another member.

why cant we keep those kinds of posts in the appropriate forums like the "where to spend money" section.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I've seen lots of questions asking specifically about mechanical problems, modifications, interchangeability and other things that would qualify as gunsmithing related questions.

That being the case, you can ask more specific questions when you get to something you aren't familiar with.
    Just my 2¢

THATS what im talking about.

that should be what a "diy" forum is for, no???

(Berks County)

THATS what im talking about.

that should be what a "diy" forum is for, no???
    I've never seen anything that says that this is supposed to be a strictly DIY forum. Just my $.02 but I see the need for, and appropriateness of, both types of posts.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Northumberland County)

it at the top of every page in this subsection.

(Berks County)

It isn't a requirement though so I still believe that BOTH types of posts, "how do i..." or "who can..." are appropriate.

ETA: Someone could always answer, "I live about five miles from you, send me a PM and we can set something up and I'll show you how to..." just a thought and it would be an appropriate answer to both types of posts.
    Last edited by billamj; October 29th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast