Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Exclamation I REALLY NEED HELP ON ThIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone please help to touch on the subject of turning a pistol into an SBR and back? Are you able to take for instance, my glock. I put the stock on it and register it as an SBR. Am I then legally allowed to return the (now SBR) back into a pistol and use it as such whenever I feel the need or urge without registering that it is changed back to a pistol? Also, ... well, you get the main focus of my question.... thank you.. I hope someone can help me with this question.

I would really like to get a "pistol caliber carbine" but I don't want to deal with the prices for it all and would rather switch my glock into the SBR, registered and all of course with a form 1. The problem occurs when I want my glock to also still serve as my OC pistol which happens to be most of the time..... I thank anyone that can help me learn the laws on this.

Enjoy your day,
    G23neverjams
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: I REALLY NEED HELP ON ThIS!!!!!!!!!!!

It is my understanding that once you take a pistol and change it to a rifle, it stays as such. Now, as stated, as long as it is on the form 1 or 4 you can use it as a pistol and convert it back to rifle, but if you ever want to convert back to a pistol for good it wont happen

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    It is my understanding that once you take a pistol and change it to a rifle, it stays as such. Now, as stated, as long as it is on the form 1 or 4 you can use it as a pistol and convert it back to rifle, but if you ever want to convert back to a pistol for good it wont happen
    I think that's probably correct, but ATF could take a different position (and change it again the following week).

Once you Form 1 a pistol into a rifle, even a short-barreled rifle, you can't make it a pistol again without it being a "weapon made from a rifle" that now has an overall length under 26" and a barrel under 16". Now that it's an NFA firearm, that's fine, you can legally put the short barrel, a buttstock, even a forward grip on the thing and be legal under PA and Federal law. That tax stamp makes it into the Inspector Gadget of pistols/rifles.

But if you want to "de-register" it some day, I'm not sure that you can restore it to Title I pistol. There may be a letter or letters floating around on this, but then again they may contradict each other.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    Can someone please help to touch on the subject of turning a pistol into an SBR and back? Are you able to take for instance, my glock. I put the stock on it and register it as an SBR. Am I then legally allowed to return the (now SBR) back into a pistol and use it as such whenever I feel the need or urge without registering that it is changed back to a pistol? Also, ... well, you get the main focus of my question.... thank you.. I hope someone can help me with this question.

I would really like to get a "pistol caliber carbine" but I don't want to deal with the prices for it all and would rather switch my glock into the SBR, registered and all of course with a form 1. The problem occurs when I want my glock to also still serve as my OC pistol which happens to be most of the time..... I thank anyone that can help me learn the laws on this.

Enjoy your day,
    G23neverjams
    you can take your glock, register it on a F1 as a SBR, and turn it into a SBR. it will never be classified as a PISTOL again, even if you take the buttstock off, its still a SBR. so you can STILL carry it in a "pistol configuration" however, its still a SB Rifle, merely with the buttstock removed.

similar example: take a semi uzi. pistol, reg as SBR with a 10" barrel. Put a quick detach stock on it.
    if you remove the stock, its STILL a "short barreled rifle", not a pistol.

pretty much how it works.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    you can take your glock, register it on a F1 as a SBR, and turn it into a SBR. it will never be classified as a PISTOL again, even if you take the buttstock off, its still a SBR. so you can STILL carry it in a "pistol configuration" however, its still a SB Rifle, merely with the buttstock removed.

similar example: take a semi uzi. pistol, reg as SBR with a 10" barrel. Put a quick detach stock on it.
    if you remove the stock, its STILL a "short barreled rifle", not a pistol.

pretty much how it works.
    So then anyone who may buy it in the future would have to also pay a nice little tax stamp correct? It wouldn't be able to simply be sold as a pistol.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    So then anyone who may buy it in the future would have to also pay a nice little tax stamp correct? It wouldn't be able to simply be sold as a pistol.
    You're going to engrave it as an SBR manufactured by you, with your name and town, and register it under the NFA. Would you expect it to be different than an AR you did the same thing with?

I've read some people say they can be un-registered but I don't know anything about that.