Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Parking lot at work...??

Whenever the weather is nice I ride my motorcycle to work. Since my workplace has a "no weapons" policy when I get there and park my bike I have to disarm and store my weapon. This necessitates me unholstering and then placing my gun into a lockable compartment on the bike. I have to unholster because my Crossbreed holster is very difficult to get back on without opening my pants... something I don't really want to do in the middle of the parking lot... so I just wear the holster without the weapon while in the building.

What concerns me is that where our bike parking is is VERY visible. People driving by on the road have a great view as well as people entering the front of the building. I am extremely concerned that someone will see me drawing my weapon (even if they don't fully see the weapon that particular motion is pretty obvious) and have a fit.

If someone calls in a MWAG after seeing me pull my weapon and then stow it on the bike what am I in for? Is there a PA law about stowing a weapon in a parking lot on private property? I know Florida has that. Could my company legally claim I violated the no weapons policy even though I do not carry into the building at any time?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Parking lot at work...??

PA doesn't have a law that allows you to have a firearm in the parking lot of your employer over their objections. you may already be in violation of your company's rules. if the rules say you can't have a firearm in the buildings your ok but if it says on the property and the the parking lot is company property you could be in trouble.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    something I don't really want to do in the middle of the parking lot...
    Trust your instinct. There is a reason you are not comfortable with this. One is safety, the other is exposing you have a gun vulnerably stored on your bike.

What concerns me is that where our bike parking is is VERY visible. People driving by on the road have a great view as well as people entering the front of the building. I am extremely concerned that someone will see me drawing my weapon (even if they don't fully see the weapon that particular motion is pretty obvious) and have a fit.
    I would be more concerned that they will steal my gun. Having a fit is their problem, having your gun stolen, because it was seen being placed in a vulnerable location is your problem

If someone calls in a MWAG after seeing me pull my weapon and then stow it on the bike what am I in for?
    Couple possibilities are:
    Theft
    Employer firing you for violating their weapon policy (if parking lot is their property)

Is there a PA law about stowing a weapon in a parking lot on private property?
    No.

Could my company legally claim I violated the no weapons policy even though I do not carry into the building at any time?
    If the PL is their property, yes, absolutely.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Couple possibilities are:
    Theft
    Employer firing you for violating their weapon policy (if parking lot is their property)
    Of these two, the first is a huge hassle, but the second is a near disaster. In this economy it's hard enough to get any job. Imagine what it would like if you're out of work because you were fired for cause, for a firearm-related infraction.

(Butler County)

I was afraid this was what I would hear. I know our Physical Security Director pretty well. I will have a chat with him... but not today. Monday...

If I can get an update to the policy accomplished or written dispensation then okay. Until then... well. Guess I'm out of luck.

(Allegheny County)

Rather than just complain about the problem

How about taking direct action instead?

Rep Pyle introduced HB 2049 (2009-2010 session) a Bill modeled after FL parking lot bill

On this thread about HB 2049, lists who everyone should be contacting with ALL the Reps listed..

....Realistically......At this late point in the session HB 2049 probably won't move now, except by procedures or amendment. Anyway you should familiarize with proposed legislation so in next session you could help pass this bill or just take everyones else advice on just dealing with the problem.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/654...ml#post1211287

(Got response from Mr. Eachus)

If I can get an update to the policy accomplished or written dispensation then okay.
    If that happens -- hop on your bike immediately, go to the nearest convenience store, and buy a lottery ticket.

(Tioga County)

Mondays are usually a bad day to do this sort of thing. Do it Tuesday.

I was afraid this was what I would hear. I know our Physical Security Director pretty well. I will have a chat with him... but not today. Monday...

If I can get an update to the policy accomplished or written dispensation then okay. Until then... well. Guess I'm out of luck.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Rather than just complain about the problem

How about taking direct action instead?

Rep Pyle introduced HB 2049 (2009-2010 session) a Bill modeled after FL parking lot bill

On this thread about HB 2049, lists who everyone should be contacting with ALL the Reps listed..

....Realistically......At this late point in the session HB 2049 probably won't move now, except by procedures or amendment. Anyway you should familiarize with proposed legislation so in next session you could help pass this bill or just take everyones else advice on just dealing with the problem.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/654...ml#post1211287

(Got response from Mr. Eachus)

I will be taking direct action... by contacting my reps to urge them to OPPOSE this bill.

Gun "rights" at the expense of someone else's rights (private property) is not something I will support.

Our energies and resources would be much better served pursuing the removal of unconstitutional laws already on the books (like most of the UFA), Not passing new laws that subjugate one persons rights for another.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; August 27th, 2010 at 11:16 AM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Jefferson County)

I agree with PA Patriot above. Property rights come first.

The proper thing to do is petition the company in question into making exemption for vehicle storage, or providing some sort of other storage(lockers?). ...that way both parties can be happy.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast