Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Remington model 770 varmint / target rifle Anyone have any experience with one?

Has anyone taken a look at the Remington model 770 with the heavy barrel and the "varmint stock" in green or black? I was actually looking into getting one for ground hogs out to about 500 or 600 yards if they are accurate enough.

Have any of you tried them?
    Anyone own one?

Any input would be appreciated.

I also know that they make them in .308.... How are they for accuracy compared to a savage or the Rem. 700?

Remember, I'm talking *only* about the heavy barrel model of the 770.

Thanks in advance!
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Default Re: Remington model 770 varmint / target rifle Anyone have any experience with one?

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    Has anyone taken a look at the Remington model 770 with the heavy barrel and the "varmint stock" in green or black? I was actually looking into getting one for ground hogs out to about 500 or 600 yards if they are accurate enough.

Have any of you tried them?
    Anyone own one?

Any input would be appreciated.

I also know that they make them in .308.... How are they for accuracy compared to a savage or the Rem. 700?

Remember, I'm talking *only* about the heavy barrel model of the 770.

Thanks in advance!
    I've never seen or even heard about a "Remington 770 Varmint" or anything that quite resembles the rifle you describe in a 770. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, but I've just never herad of something like it until now. Remington doesn't list it on their website, although that doesn't mean that they don't make it. There's lots of stuff that they "make", but they don't list. If you have pictures or a link where you saw this rifle, that might help a bit.

Since you don't want to hear about the "other" 770's, then I won't go into it. I've already commented about 770's in other threads, and I don't see how even if one has a heavy barrel that it's probably gonna be all that different. Link or at least a price would be appreciated.

(York County)

Default Re: Remington model 770 varmint / target rifle Anyone have any experience with one?

I actually am not sure... I looked at one in dicks sporting goods but now I'm not sure if that's the model number... It was a heavy barrel version of one of their cheaper "7" series rifles... I can't remember but I know it was one of their like 400 dollar rifles with a scope.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    I actually am not sure... I looked at one in dicks sporting goods but now I'm not sure if that's the model number... It was a heavy barrel version of one of their cheaper "7" series rifles... I can't remember but I know it was one of their like 400 dollar rifles with a scope.
    I'm not sure either, but if you saw it at Dick's Sporting Goods, then it's possible that you saw exactly what you're telling me. We figured out a while back that Remington makes Remington ADL's for Dick's, even though they supposedly discontinued the line a long time ago. There's a thread around here where someone said they bought a new ADL, and it had a synthetic stock. I said that was impossible because they discontinued the line before they ever started putting synthetic stocks on them. Both myself and the OP were adament about what I "knew" they made, and what he "actually had". He posts up pictures, and sure enough, it's a Remington 700 with a synthetic stock, and no drop plate (making it an ADL). Supposedly Remington doesn't make it, and they don't list it anywhere, but they make runs for Dick's apparently.

So as odd as it sounds, that might be what you saw. The 770 is the only "cheaper model" that they supposedly make anymore now, lol. Before they came out with the 770, it was the model 710. Apparently the 770 was an "upgrade", so they no longer offer the 710 (from what I hear and have seen so far). I live out in the middle of nowhere, so we don't have Dick's Sporting Goods out here; the drive to Dallas is a ways to find out what they do have.

Honestly, I'd consider the Savage and the Remington before even a heavy barreled 770. I've heard some people say they "shoot really good", although it's usually a very broad term. When you're looking to shoot small targets at 500-600 yards, you're talking about some pretty good accuracy. There's lots of stock Remington 700's and Savages, that if you don't have the perfect reload at that distance, it's not gonna happen. It can be done with stock rifles, but you need to have a good reload, or something that your rifle likes.

Remington 770's are notorious for being "cheap", and I don't just mean in price. The bolt stop is PLASTIC, I think that says a LOT about the quality of the rifle. The bolt handles don't "cam" (proper term) the way a Remington 700 does, and so they're pretty rough to open, and don't assist you in extracting and ejecting. Not camming doesn't help with the ejection, and the smaller port doesn't help with ejection, especially of the ejector is sloppy. Lots of people have trouble with the bolt binding in the raceways. Sometimes people have extra issues with the rifle. I think the stocks on them are VERY light, if you squeeze them in the area of the "DBM", it flexes so much, you'd think it was gonna break. Everything just had pretty sorry fit and finish. Most people complain about the triggers being really heavy and gritty. Apparently the bolt handles aren't attached all that well either because I've heard about more broke off on those rifles that ANY rifle I know of.

You can do whatever you like, but personally I'd consider something else. Are you really that concerned about saving the money when like 50,000-60,000 PSI (max for .308 is 62,000) is going off RIGHT in front of your face and by your hands? I definitely wouldn't want to use the cheapest rifle I can find to be in front of my face. Especially when the bolt handles don't hold, and who knows how good the machining is on the bolt body and recoil lugs is. I think you'd be better served looking at a different rifle, particularly for the distances that you want to shoot at.