Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New 1911?

(Perry County)

Default New 1911?

I currently have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and while it's ok, it's very basic compared to what's available.

I've been looking at 1911s in magazines and online lately and thinking I want a nicer one with more features.

What's currently the best "bang for the buck" 1911? I was thinking of maybe spending up to $1000 on one.

Also, what features do you feel are necessary on a 1911? I'm thinking I want one with night sights, possibly a rail (I like the look of the rail on some of the 1911s), and an extended grip safety/beavertail.

Default Re: New 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I currently have a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and while it's ok, it's very basic compared to what's available.

I've been looking at 1911s in magazines and online lately and thinking I want a nicer one with more features.

What's currently the best "bang for the buck" 1911? I was thinking of maybe spending up to $1000 on one.

Also, what features do you feel are necessary on a 1911? I'm thinking I want one with night sights, possibly a rail (I like the look of the rail on some of the 1911s), and an extended grip safety/beavertail.
    I was at Cabela's yesterday & while I was browsing the pistol case, I saw a new Kimber Custom II in the case with all those features, minus the rail for $799. They had some Tarus, S&W & other model 1911's for less. I don't know if that's a decent price or not, but I will say that the new Sig 229's & 220's in the case were almost a couple hundred more than I paid for mine.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lawrence County)

At the $1000 price mark, I think we run into diminishing returns with 1911's. Yeah, the benefits of the expensive guns are there.....but not linear with the amount of money you spend.

For instance, the Taurus guns offer a LOT for the price point.....and while a $1000 gun is usually better in terms of fit.....it's not twice as good (the Taurus' I've seen have actually had great trigger groups).

I thikn a base Kimber is a pretty good deal with their benefits being tight fitting and accuracy.....with the cons being tight fitting and some extensive break-in on some models. The Springfield Loaded is an all around good buy, but the triggers could use some work compared to other guns (usually a spring change and tweak is all it takes).

Lycanwhatdoyouwantittodothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

+1 Springfield Loaded very good 1911 at any price. But get one that has NM before the serial #. NM mean's made in America NOT Brazil. The American made one's seem to have more hand fitting & better quality. I got mine for $750 OTD & is as accurate as my $3000-4000 dollar 1911's, which in one way make's me happy & in another make's me sick.

But you WILL NOT find a better 1911 for that price or almost any price & get the stainless. They get a little more attention & hand fitting because you can't hide little inperfection's like you can with a coating.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; August 26th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Butler County)

I'm a bit biased, but I LOVE my Kimber Custom. I've had it for 5 years now and it has never even hickupped on me. Kimber customer service is fantastic.

+1 Kimber

Oh I LOVE my Kimber's but at $750 OTD you can't get a Kimber as good as a Loaded for that price. IMO...Loaded is a good name for it cause usually you will pay another grand to get a 1911 Loaded with that many great feature's as the Loaded come's stock with.

http://www.techwearusa.com/techwell_system.asp

Here's a pic of mine. The fit, finish & accuracy are unbelievable for $750 OTD...All I added was Techwell grips & magwel which is 100% drop in, nothing is easier!!!
    Last edited by Ronnies111; August 26th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    +1 Springfield Loaded very good 1911 at any price. But get one that has NM before the serial #. NM mean's made in America NOT Brazil. The American made one's seem to have more hand fitting & better quality. I got mine for $750 OTD & is as accurate as my $3000-4000 dollar 1911's, which in one way make's me happy & in another make's me sick.

But you WILL NOT find a better 1911 for that price or almost any price & get the stainless. They get a little more attention & hand fitting because you can't hide little inperfection's like you can with a coating.
    Was $750 new or used? I'm not really a big fan of stainless though.

(Delaware County)

The Springfield warranty can't be beat........ forever!
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Was $750 new or used? I'm not really a big fan of stainless though.
    IT WAS BRAND NEW

When you handle it & shoot it...you will not care. I can not rave more about the Loaded it is a FANASTIC 1911 at any price...I shit you not!!! I've got Kimber's, Wilson, Colt's, Nighthawk's etc.. The loaded is as accurate& dependable as all of them for $750 NEW OTD what more could anyone want.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; August 26th, 2010 at 02:58 PM.

(Northumberland County)

i wanted a Springfield 1911 couldnt find one within my price range,(old lady nagging) so i ended up with a RIA M1911A1 FS all basic, it shoots FMJ great no jams but wont feed the JHP only the last 3 rounds in the mag it feeds JHP without a hiccup. I keep first 5 rounds in the mag 230 gr FMJ and the last 3 rounds Speer 200 gr +p GDHP it works like a charm!

when i first got it it was jamming so called Armscor and they shipped me a free recoil spring i compared the recoil springs the old one was 1/4 inch shorter then the new one then after i installed the new recoil spring no more jams.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast