Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default 7.62 suppressor for a 5.56?

Recently got my tax stamp for my SBR AR15 and looking at suppressors now. (Tax stamps are addictive).

I am currently considering AAC suppressors since I want a QD mount that has good flash suppression (Blackout muzzle device).

What kind of differences will I see in sound suppression from a dedicated 5.56 vs. using a 7.62 suppressor on an Ar15 assuming all other variables are the same?

It would be nice to run a 7.62 on both my Ar15 SBR and a future Ar10 without having to buy 2 seperate suppressors.

I have heard anomalies of endcap/baffle strikes from AAC's 762SD suppressors on Ar15's as well.

Will AAC 762SD fit on a AAC 5.56 Blackout mount?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 7.62 suppressor for a 5.56?

I cant provide an answer on the mount, however, there wont be much of a noticeable sound difference on the suppression by the 7.62 can..the weight and length will obviously be different.

address the mount concerns to the MFG of the can itself.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    there wont be much of a noticeable sound difference on the suppression by the 7.62 can.
    So sound reduction should be similar regardless of 5.56 suppressor or 7.62 suppressor? Or atleast negligable differences? Its currently between an AAC M4-1000 (Cheaper) vs 762SD (use for 5.56 and 7.62).

Thanks for the reply, you are always so helpful around the forum.
    Last edited by FJR86; August 26th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    I have heard anomalies of endcap/baffle strikes from AAC's 762SD suppressors on Ar15's as well.
    My first thought is that those strikes are possibly the result of poorly constructed AR15 barrels (non-concentric bore?) or more likely poor barrel threading. I'd expect the results to be worse with a .233/5.56 suppressor.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    My first thought is that those strikes are possibly the result of poorly constructed AR15 barrels (non-concentric bore?) or more likely poor barrel threading. I'd expect the results to be worse with a .233/5.56 suppressor.
    I talked to a rep from AAC about the issue and they said it could either be poor threading or poor ammo. Its just odd because there were several cases of the issue.

But AAC always fixed the issue from what I have heard, and AAC confirmed it.

I think I will end up going this route.

(Chester County)

You can easily do the mount. AAC will sell you the 18t mount that will fit the ar and mount the 762sd. I have not yet tried my 762sd on an ar as I have a 556 can for that. However I do understand that it does a good job with the 556. Also understand that the 762sd is significantly larger than most 556 cans.

That all said. AAC is an amazing company and you will probably never find such a great group to deal with. Talk to Mike Mers there.

(Lebanon County)

If you are going with the 762sd wait for the 51 tooth version. It is out now , but I dont know how the availability is. Much better lock up than the 18 tooth and, It has the MITER to go with it.

(Lancaster County)

Haven't heard of many people doing this with AAC, but plenty of people do it with the YHM Phantom in .308.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

To Jaybell and -JD-:

I notice you are both from Montgomery County. I was wondering if you heard of any stories of CLEO's/other not signing Form4's for a can? More specifically on the younger age range.

I am 24 y/o and spoke to someone about obtaining a suppressor. The guy said that I am a bit young to be messing with cans and will probably get denied the signature due to my age. Have either of you heard of instances such as this?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    To Jaybell and -JD-:

I notice you are both from Montgomery County. I was wondering if you heard of any stories of CLEO's/other not signing Form4's for a can? More specifically on the younger age range.

I am 24 y/o and spoke to someone about obtaining a suppressor. The guy said that I am a bit young to be messing with cans and will probably get denied the signature due to my age. Have either of you heard of instances such as this?
    Discrimination based on age? I know the CLEO can deny you on basically anything he feels appropriate, but age is grouped into the ethical classes of race and gender. If he simply denies someone based on age, I'd make a stink... But IANAL and I'm not sure if they can get away with it... but it isn't right..
    III%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast