Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What gun is best to CC for a woman?

I am trying to figure out what gun would be best for me to CC. I need it to be on the smaller side but not to small. Something safe and something that won't fail on me if I ever need to use it. I have shot a G19 and am comfortable with it but I feel that its too big for me to conceal. i would like to see what everyone's opinion is.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What gun is best to CC for a woman?

I would say to look at the G27 or the G26.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Luzerne County)

Well, you will get many answers however for failsafe operation it is hard to beat a quality double action wheel gun.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye54 View Post
    Well, you will get many answers however for failsafe operation it is hard to beat a quality double action wheel gun.

What is a double action wheel gun? Sorry I really don't know much about guns.

(Allegheny County)

It might be best to go to a gun shop and handle a bunch of different models first. If they have a range and you can rent a few to try them, even better. IMO the best CC gun is one you're comfortable with and can use without difficulty in a stressful situation.

A revolver like a S&W 642 isn't a bad choice... lightweight, no hammer to snag during a draw, no safety to mess with. Take time to get used to stacking the trigger and you're in good shape.

A small .380 auto like a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT is another popular option because of the very small size. Both have long trigger pulls since they don't have safeties so that could take some getting used to. Then you have to decide if you're okay with the .380 round. Otherwise, maybe a small 9mm like a Kahr PM9 would fit the bill.

If you'd feel more comfortable with an extra "safety" of some sort there's the Springfield XDm or even the Stoegar Cougar which has a decokcer as well and fits really well in small hands.

Bottom line is, you'll get tons of recommendations but the best option is the one you'll actually carry everywhere and can shoot the best.

(Wyoming County)

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/model60-15.htm

I am in the same boat as you, working through the selection process in deciding what to carry. My first thoughts were to start with a .22 caliber something or other, but it didn't take long for me to reconsider that position and want something that will do the job the first time. So, working through the myriad of options, I have my sights on a S&W 60-15 .357 Mag Revolver w/3" barrel.

Like I said, if I'm going to need to pull it, then it needs to do its job the first time. I found a site yesterday that gave the ratings for various weapons and calibers, don't ask me where though, because I was EVERYWHERE, and I remember liking the opinion of the aforementioned weapon.

Also, I like that it's small enough to effectively conceal. I'm not fixed just yet as to how I'm going to be carrying my weapon, but am leaning a bit toward having a CC purse.

Another bonus for me, is that it's simple, which is me through and through, at least in the learning stages of whatever venture I'm getting myself into. As I advance in understanding the various things about weapons, I most likely will advance in what I carry. For now though, I need something that I can depend on, and have it depend on me to handle and activate properly.

Good luck on finding what you need!
    Last edited by Mama Bear 1962; August 25th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo
    ~~Mama Bear - defender of her own

(Philadelphia County)

The G26 is shorter but not thinner. It is somewhat easier to conceal IF your problem with the G19 is weight, length of the grip, or length of the barrel. For me the barrel length is not an issue since I carry IWB. The shorter grip helps but it's as much comfort as concealment. I find that it's the back of the slide that prints the most, and that profile is the same on both guns.

Weight is a minor issue for me because I have a solid gun belt. I strongly recommend investing in a good belt and holster - it will help retention and concealment without requiring you to go to a smaller gun. Look for one that is stylish enough that you'll actually wear it, but still strong. Well worth the investment.

If I would change anything about my carry gun it would be width. A Glock 19 / 26 is 1.18" across, and pretty flat (more or less exactly 1.18" over the entire gun). A small revolver is going to be a shade thicker but the barrel and grip will likely be thinner. Some say that the contours of a revolver make it conceal easier than the square profile of a Glock. I've not tried it myself but it's worth considering.

I've pretty much stuck with the G26 because I find it gives me the right balance between reliability, capacity, ease of use, and size.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    It might be best to go to a gun shop and handle a bunch of different models first. If they have a range and you can rent a few to try them, even better. IMO the best CC gun is one you're comfortable with and can use without difficulty in a stressful situation.
    Yup! Try lots and lots until you find the one you're comfortable with. What's best for you may not be best for someone else.

That being said, the .38 Special revolver is probably the most commonly liked firearm among women. Relatively small and easy to conceal. Easy to operate. Has acceptable stopping power.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Montgomery County)

Owning a piano does not make one a musician.

You have quite a bit to learn and I advise you to get professional training. Classic Pistol is in Southampton, just north of Philadelphia county. You should take the NRA basic pistol course and or the Women only FIRST steps pistol training class. You can call up Bob (he owns the place, and is a great guy) to ask questions about the classes and sign up. Here is the web link for the classes page:

http://www.classicpistol.com/training_classes.asp?id=18

Lots of people will advise you to go with what is popular. Ignore them. You do not have much experience yet and you have not seen very much of what is available and how well you can shoot it. All that matters in a carry weapon is effectiveness, is it powerful enough and can you hit what you aim at. The small light weapons like the LCP and the 642 are guns for experts, as they are very very difficult to shoot well.

A great website for the female perspective and self defense is:
    http://corneredcat.com/

Do not worry about the size of a handgun for defense. With purse/holster like this:
    http://www.usgalco.com/ViewMorePic.a...ductSKU=PAGBLK

As well as others, it is not too hard to hide a larger handgun. Good luck.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Some good advice here....as they said, try, try, try everything you can. Then pick the one YOU like.

Remember: You're unique, just like everyone else!!!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast