Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I do this?

(Luzerne County)

Default Can I do this?

My partner at my shop used to be a gunshop owner,he says he thinks I can do this,but he wasn't positive.I want to build a magazine fed .22 bolt action target pistol.Obviously,the easiest way to do this would be to start with a bolt action rifle action.Now..Can I register a rifle as a pistol,then do the conversion? I'll know the configuration up front,barrel length,caliber,ETC. to register it...OR..What if I started with a rifle action,and put my own serial # on it,and treated it as a gun I built? I know about not being able to sell or transfer it already if I roll my own..I'm looking at building something like an XP-100 style pistol in .22 LR with a 10" barrel.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can I do this?

I don't think you can buy the whole rifle and register it as a pistol, but IANAL... but if you just buy the receiver, then it should just be registered as a pistol, kinda like when you buy a stripped AR lower.
    Security without liberty is called prison.

(Chester County)

Μολὼν λάβε

(Luzerne County)

1) There is no registration in Pa,
    2) You can not make a pistol from a receiver that has been configured as a rifle without filing a ATF Form-1 and paying a $200 making tax
    3) You can build from a receiver that has never been assembled into a rifle. No paperwork required provided the pistol is a title-1 firearm (non NFA)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

I'm not trying to start a fight but I'd still argue that pistols are de facto registered into the non-database database.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JB19Kilo View Post
    I don't think you can buy the whole rifle and register it as a pistol, but IANAL... but if you just buy the receiver, then it should just be registered as a pistol, kinda like when you buy a stripped AR lower.
    There is no registration in Pa.

Receiver are transferred from the FFL as receivers. Even if the FFL incorrectly transfers it as a rifle or pistol, it still make no difference as to what you build it into as a stripped, virgin rcvr can be built into a rilfe or pistol regardless of what how the FFL logged it.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JB19Kilo View Post
    I'm not trying to start a fight but I'd still argue that pistols are de facto registered into the non-database database.
    Call it what you want. But it's not accurate.

Registration is unlawful (18Pa.C.S.6111.4) and the database of form SP4-113 that the PSP is illegally retaining is NOT a registration per the SCOPA.

More info on the topic of registration can be found here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/414...nsfers-pa.html
    ...and the registration discussion should probably be continued in that thread.

Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

Alright I'll agree by that standard.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    What's the fun of buying it? I built this for 35 bucks,shoots a half inch at 25 yards.I built it from junk I had sitting around..

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    1) There is no registration in Pa,
    2) You can not make a pistol from a receiver that has been configured as a rifle without filing a ATF Form-1 and paying a $200 making tax
    3) You can build from a receiver that has never been assembled into a rifle. No paperwork required provided the pistol is a title-1 firearm (non NFA)
    How about if I make my own receiver,and use an existing bolt?It's gonna be a 5 shot .22LR. Even if I hafta pay the 200 bucks,it's still cheaper than buying something like an Anschutz,LOL!!!
    Last edited by ROBOWOP; August 25th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast