Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Clayton's Hunting and Fishing

I started going here in 2004 right after I was old enough to purchase long rifles. At the time, there was a guy John that worked there and he seemed cool and was always helpful. My understanding is that he eventually got caught for making fireworks and couldn't work with firearms anymore. I honestly am not sure about the full story, but my point is that over the years I have purchased no less than a dozen weapons from them, but only recently have I started feeling unwelcome there. They used to be my go to guys for cheap ammo before range trips, but these days I don't really want to give them my business.

Allow me to elaborate - The last couple times I was up there, the owner Tom has thrown out other customers for no apparent reason at all. One man was inquiring as to what would be the best 22 for his son, and was told to leave. Another time a young man (maybe about 20 or so) asked to see a knife, and Tom asked him to leave as well. I asked to see some AR uppers and they were literally thrown onto the table, which seems careless.

cmr076 and I went up for an ammo run, and we each dropped about $300-400 on various calibers, and all we got before we left was a snide remark about how we "better not have messed up the ammo shelves."

So I have decided not to give them my business anymore. I wonder if anyone else has had a negative experience with them? I used to feel welcome there...
    Security without liberty is called prison.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Clayton's Hunting and Fishing

i went in there several weeks ago, and got nothing but attitude.

(Bucks County)

years ago when they were located on horsham rd i didn't mind going there and their prices were reasonable and competitive with other shops. it seems to me when they moved to their current shop on 611 they became assholes and their prices sky rocketed. i was looking for a SIG 556 rifle and claytons wanted 2300 bucks but i paid 1275 at another shop. another time i was looking for a FN FS2000 and claytons wanted 2400 but i bought it for 1999 at tanners. i was in there one day a few years ago when they tried to tell me they had premium 5.7x28 ammo for 30 bucks a box and i knew they were talking s... because i had just purchased the exact same ammo at tanners for 20 a box. i do have to add that they have never been rude or mistreated me in any way but i'd much rather go to surplus city or tanners.
    Last edited by wellcraft; August 24th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

(Montgomery County)

if im dropping a G on ammo and maybe impulse buying a handgun (which has been the case at claytons on more than one occasion) i need to at least get a "thanks for your business", when the huge guy isnt there the guys seem cool enough, but that asshole literally made me decide to go to CPI and pay more for ammo because i like the CPI staff so much more.

While i am not rich, i do not mind paying a premium for service, and if that premium is in the form of 5-10 dollars per box i am 100% ok with that.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

Every Clayton's thread goes the same way. A couple of good reports, and an overwhelming flood of complaints that all share the same themes of poor attitude, high prices, and a sense that one has walked into a shop where the phrase "you ain't a cop, is ya?" lurks nearby. You can almost hear "Dueling Banjos".

They screwed me on a deal years ago, crawfished on a firm deal we agreed on 24 hours before, I've never been back. Sounds like they haven't changed, according to nearly everyone.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=JB19Kilo;1314686]So I have decided not to give them my business anymore. I wonder if anyone else has had a negative experience with them? QUOTE]
    The better question, to save bandwidth, would be, "Has anybody had a positive experience there"? Not many have!

(Bucks County)

At first there was a little attitude. After a few visits I have not had any issues. I have bought a few items there that were ok deals. Tom likes to break balls and I broke them back and.never had an issue.

I will continue to go there and make purchases for some items.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: Clayton's Hunting and Fishing

I've been going in there for 20 years--Tom does like to bust them--but its in fun--everytime I had an issue with anything that I bought there, it was always taken care of--no problems--either taken back or replaced with the correct item--I had a problem with a Remington rifle 2 years ago and it was sent back by Clayton's with no charge to me--I don't know if that would be the same for other shops. The store always seems to be busy--They are opening a range soon--Thumbs Up to Clayton's

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNER View Post
    I've been going in there for 20 years--Tom does like to bust them--but its in fun--everytime I had an issue with anything that I bought there, it was always taken care of--no problems--either taken back or replaced with the correct item--I had a problem with a Remington rifle 2 years ago and it was sent back by Clayton's with no charge to me--I don't know if that would be the same for other shops. The store always seems to be busy--They are opening a range soon--Thumbs Up to Clayton's
    i thought the range was supposed to open in june
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNER View Post
    Never had a problem at Clayton's And when I had a problem with a gun It was taken care of . The range is getting done .
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." Thomas Jefferson - Commonplace Book 1774-1776

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast