Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default one supressor for many things?

Hey all,

maybe a dumb question, but I'm wondering if there's one supressor that would work well with more than one caliber, I imagine it won't be the best, but good for everything would make me happy. mostly pistol stuff (9, 45, 22lr) but maybe also used for 223. let me know if this is reasonable or it's a dream product that doesn't exist. not really looking to have a pile of stamps, but might be good for one or 2....

Steviesterno

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: one supressor for many things?

There really aren't any multiple caliber suppressors that work.

You can use a can made for .223/5.56 for 22rf because of the diameter of the "bore" and it being constructed for the pressures of the .223/5.56. The .22rf being of nearly the same caliber(diameter), and having lessor pressures, will work fine. However, a can made specifically for .22rf may blow out if used on a .223/5.56 because of the much high pressures.

If you use a .45cal can on a 9mm, you'll have blow-by because of the larger bore causing noise to no get suppressed.

A 9mm can will work with .380acp due to same diameter bore and the 380 having lessor working pressures.

Cliff-notes:

Get a can for each caliber(diameter of bullet), and from each caliber get one made for the most powerful cartridge of that given caliber.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

You can use the silencerco Osprey .45 on a 9mm gun with only minimal degradation in performance from what is being reviewed on the internet.

silencerco.com

I don't own one, but it does make me curious. I'm probably going to pick one up for my USP Tactical and get the piston for the USP9SD and see how it works. If you google it, you'll find some posts about it.

As far as rifles go, 308 to 223 can be used, but rifle suppressors generally do not have pistons, they are threaded for exactly their caliber.

i use my gemtech .223 can on my marlin .22 bolt, its heavy but very quiet.
    FJB

(Northampton County)

You can use cans designed for one caliber on a smaller caliber in many cases. In most cases where you can (pressure and all else is OK), they will work but not as well as a can designed for that caliber.

Further, heavy rifle cans (especially FA rated) may not allow pistols to cycle due to the weight.

You need to pick a specific case and then investigate if it can be done and what you can expect out of the various cans. With reasonable expectations.

(Elk County)

Many people are buying 30cal cans and using them on on 22 centerfire also. It works fairly decent on the 22cal. 30 cans are HEAVY and can be a burden on a weapon like an AR if you are shooting offhand. If you are planning on a lot of 22 rimfire shooting, buy a rimfire can that you can disassemble. If you shoot rimfire through your sealed can, it will eventually fill with lead and gunk and the sound suppression will be diminished. Keep in mind when shooting rimfire, you need standard velocity or subsonic ammo. If you shoot bulk pack high velocity you will hear the crack and it isn't very silent.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You can use cans designed for one caliber on a smaller caliber in many cases. In most cases where you can (pressure and all else is OK), they will work but not as well as a can designed for that caliber.

Further, heavy rifle cans (especially FA rated) may not allow pistols to cycle due to the weight.

You need to pick a specific case and then investigate if it can be done and what you can expect out of the various cans. With reasonable expectations.
    Good info. Also, if you use a 5.56/223 can on a 22lr you will probably fill the can with lead and crud from the rimfire ammo.

You should buy a 22lr can just for the 22lr, you will enjoy the sound reduction with subsonic ammo.

308 can on a 223...will probably need a thread adapter, not quite as efficient but it will work. Too heavy on a pistol.

45 can on a 9mm...will probably need a thread adapter, not quite as efficient but it will work.

Many buy a 22lr, 9mm (with replaceable end mounts) 5.56 and/or 7.62

(Montgomery County)

the key is generally a can can be used for a lesser diameter and weaker caliber than the can was designed for.

as mentioned, some suppression performance is lacking in smaller diameter rounds

I have a SoundTech m6-223 suppressor, I've used it fine on 5.56, 22 hornet, 5.7, and 22lr

my Bowers ATAS* 45 that I have for my HK MK23 i've used fine on a Beretta 92F(with subsonics) and a 9mm SBR, also with subsonics... the suppression was VERY good.
    it also worked well with 22LR, but a little louder than a correct 22 suppressor.

* Yes, ATAS stands for "All Tactical And Shit"
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by hooknladder View Post
    Keep in mind when shooting rimfire, you need standard velocity or subsonic ammo. If you shoot bulk pack high velocity you will hear the crack and it isn't very silent.
    For the most part, yes, but if you are shooting out of a barrel that is less than 6", a lot of the high velocity stuff will still stay subsonic.