Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default A chance for a Norinco AK Is it worth it?

A gun shop down the road has a Norinco AK for sale just like the one in the picture. It's post ban with the tangs cut off and no bayonet lug. I forgot to notice if the supressor was welded or not. Anyway, it's around $500. Is it worth the money? Can the tangs be put back on legally and would this be cost efective? (I hate the stock) I believe that it will take the double stack mags and has not been altered (it has the two dimples) Any thoughts? I would like to have a preban but have spent a few thousand on guns in the past few months and don't really want to spend a ton of money. If it is cost effective and possible, I can build this the way I want it over time keeping the dent in my wallet smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: A chance for a Norinco AK Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    it's around $500. Is it worth the money?
    Definitely not. Even if you are already counting taxes and the transfer fee as part of the $500. I feel you could get a much better deal by keeping an eye on the classified section here.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Wayne County)

Those look like MAK 90's.. If you want to change the furniture to resemble an AK , to be legal you'll have to use American made parts.... No big deal, the parts are readily avaailable..

(Philadelphia County)

I'd pass if you don't like the thumbhole stock. The angled receiver means that putting on new furniture will not be a simple swap.

You might be able to find someone somewhere who is convinced Norinco's are super dooper AKs worth MORE than $500, in which case maybe you make a buck but I don't really think it's worth the trouble.

(Butler County)

Sell you my Norinco MAK-90 for less than that. Nice beater gun but not exactly a collector's item. Damn thing hangs every now and then on the Russky hollow points... Need to fix that eventually. 'course I've been saying that for years now...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    I'd pass if you don't like the thumbhole stock. The angled receiver means that putting on new furniture will not be a simple swap.

You might be able to find someone somewhere who is convinced Norinco's are super dooper AKs worth MORE than $500, in which case maybe you make a buck but I don't really think it's worth the trouble.
    Not all mak90's have a slant cut receiver.

$475 - $500 seems to be the going rate for mak90's. If it is $500 out the door, not a bad deal. If it's $500 plus transfer, tax, etc then it isn;t such a great deal.

(Mercer County)

Since I know very little about AK's, just what I have read on this site and researched a little. Can you answer me this. The milled reciever, which is what I would like instead of stamped, are they talking the entire reciever being milled or just the upper? I assume just the upper, but not 100% sure. Could anyone post pics that show both. In this case it would help a great deal.

i think there is a value on an arsenal-assembled rifles, and the MAK-90's were the last arsenal assembled-rifles of the AK variety, except for the WASR's that aren't near the quality of fit or finish.

i think $500 is an ok, not great, price. especially if you want to shoot it. i'll agree that if you can't live with the thumbhole it might not be the best choice for you, though.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Since I know very little about AK's, just what I have read on this site and researched a little. Can you answer me this. The milled reciever, which is what I would like instead of stamped, are they talking the entire reciever being milled or just the upper? I assume just the upper, but not 100% sure. Could anyone post pics that show both. In this case it would help a great deal.

"Upper" and "Lower" refers to rifles that are built with two part receivers like ARs and the like. An AK has only one receiver (the dust cover doesn't count). If it's milled, it's milled; period.

Milled AKs are rarer, stiffer, and heavier - none of those atributes helps with accuracy, reliability, or longevity (in fact they switched to stamped receivers because they last longer).

Maybe you can tell but I'm not especially smitten by milled receivers...
    Last edited by Willie D; August 24th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    "Upper" and "Lower" refers to rifles that are built with two part receivers like ARs and the like. An AK has only one receiver (the dust cover doesn't count). If it's milled, it's milled; period.

Milled AKs are rarer, stiffer, and heavier - none of those atributes helps with accuracy, reliability, or longevity (in fact they switched to stamped receivers because they last longer).

Maybe you can tell but I'm not especially smitten by milled receivers...
    I thought that they switched to stamped recievers because they were cheaper, easier and faster to make? I can see your point. A milled reciever could be subject to cracking and such I suppose. However, I would think you would burn a few barrels and thousands upon thousands of rounds before this would happen? However, you never know, "made in china" after all! Please correct me if I am wrong here with my thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast