Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: A chance for a Norinco AK Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    A gun shop down the road has a Norinco AK for sale just like the one in the picture. It's post ban with the tangs cut off and no bayonet lug. I forgot to notice if the supressor was welded or not. Anyway, it's around $500. Is it worth the money? Can the tangs be put back on legally and would this be cost efective? (I hate the stock) I believe that it will take the double stack mags and has not been altered (it has the two dimples) Any thoughts? I would like to have a preban but have spent a few thousand on guns in the past few months and don't really want to spend a ton of money. If it is cost effective and possible, I can build this the way I want it over time keeping the dent in my wallet smaller.
    Is it worth it?... Eh, not really. On the conservative end, you're looking at another $100-$150 (probably more considering the slant cut receiver) to convert it to an AK that looks like an AK. This is just plain silly when you can get other AK models (which have functional muzzle attachments, bayonet lugs, and the appropriate configuration) for $379-$500

There is some value in the fact that the Chinese guns were arsenal made, but does it translate into actual improved performance? No, it doesn't. For the most part, an AK is an AK.

You mentioned wanting a "pre-ban" AK. At this point in time there is little real value to a "pre-ban" gun. There is no ban anymore, as long as you've got the required 6 US parts you're good to go with whatever mags/configuration you like.

On an AK those parts are usually as follows:

1. Pistol Grip-There is no difference in the performance of a US made grip vs. a "pre-ban" grip.

2. Receiver-While the receiver is US made, it's not like a pre-ban AK is an original military receiver. A semi-auto AK and a fully automatic AK have very different internal receiver parts. Their country of origin is irrelevant.

3. Fire Control Group - This is actually 3 parts. Few people will argue that original military AK triggers are desirable in any way. The Tapco G2 that is installed on most current model AK's has become the industry standard and performs better than an original military trigger on a semi-auto variant.

4. Gas Piston- It's a metal rod. American's make metal rods just as well as the Eastern Euro's or the Chinese.

5. Muzzle Brake - This part must only be US made if it's detachable. There are huge differences in AK-74 brakes that are made in the US vs. original. You're not talking about an AK-74 however. The standard AK-47 slant cut brake is commonly made by US manufacturers and works exactly like the original.

Long story short, don't waste your money on a pre-ban AK. You can buy lots of ammo with that cash!

Now, the milled vs. stamped debate...

Many people mistakenly beleive that "real" AK's are made with milled receivers. This is simply untrue. The Russians only used milled receivers for a short period of time until production could be perfected on the stamped receivers. They have been made on stamped receivers ever since.

Gun consumers in the US market like milled receivers because of an idea of perceived value or enhanced quality. In truth, there is zero difference in actual performance.

Milled receivers are heavier and incompatible with many replacement parts and are not interchangeable with the parts/furniture from the vast majority of other AK's.

There are lots of nice AK's out there right now, and prices seem to be steadily falling. If you just want a decent shooter or SHTF gun, grab a WASR. They aren't the prettiest of all the AK's, but the problems they used to have are long gone--they function well and are dirt cheap.

If you want a nicer one, check out www.atlanticfirearms.com. They have a good selection of quality AK's. Remember, when looking at their site anything referred to as simply "Romanian", is a WASR. There are better prices on WASR's on other sites and even in local stores or on the classifieds here.

Good luck in your search. AK's aren't like other guns. What makes them great is their rugged durability, factors that we would look for in other guns really don't mean much when it comes to AK's.

(Mercer County)

Thanks MAK47 that is some good advice I will take into consideration. +1 to you.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    Is it worth it?... Eh, not really. On the conservative end, you're looking at another $100-$150 (probably more considering the slant cut receiver) to convert it to an AK that looks like an AK. This is just plain silly when you can get other AK models (which have functional muzzle attachments, bayonet lugs, and the appropriate configuration) for $379-$500

There is some value in the fact that the Chinese guns were arsenal made, but does it translate into actual improved performance? No, it doesn't. For the most part, an AK is an AK.

You mentioned wanting a "pre-ban" AK. At this point in time there is little real value to a "pre-ban" gun. There is no ban anymore, as long as you've got the required 6 US parts you're good to go with whatever mags/configuration you like.

On an AK those parts are usually as follows:

1. Pistol Grip-There is no difference in the performance of a US made grip vs. a "pre-ban" grip.

2. Receiver-While the receiver is US made, it's not like a pre-ban AK is an original military receiver. A semi-auto AK and a fully automatic AK have very different internal receiver parts. Their country of origin is irrelevant.

3. Fire Control Group - This is actually 3 parts. Few people will argue that original military AK triggers are desirable in any way. The Tapco G2 that is installed on most current model AK's has become the industry standard and performs better than an original military trigger on a semi-auto variant.

4. Gas Piston- It's a metal rod. American's make metal rods just as well as the Eastern Euro's or the Chinese.

5. Muzzle Brake - This part must only be US made if it's detachable. There are huge differences in AK-74 brakes that are made in the US vs. original. You're not talking about an AK-74 however. The standard AK-47 slant cut brake is commonly made by US manufacturers and works exactly like the original.

Long story short, don't waste your money on a pre-ban AK. You can buy lots of ammo with that cash!

Now, the milled vs. stamped debate...

Many people mistakenly beleive that "real" AK's are made with milled receivers. This is simply untrue. The Russians only used milled receivers for a short period of time until production could be perfected on the stamped receivers. They have been made on stamped receivers ever since.

Gun consumers in the US market like milled receivers because of an idea of perceived value or enhanced quality. In truth, there is zero difference in actual performance.

Milled receivers are heavier and incompatible with many replacement parts and are not interchangeable with the parts/furniture from the vast majority of other AK's.

There are lots of nice AK's out there right now, and prices seem to be steadily falling. If you just want a decent shooter or SHTF gun, grab a WASR. They aren't the prettiest of all the AK's, but the problems they used to have are long gone--they function well and are dirt cheap.

If you want a nicer one, check out www.atlanticfirearms.com. They have a good selection of quality AK's. Remember, when looking at their site anything referred to as simply "Romanian", is a WASR. There are better prices on WASR's on other sites and even in local stores or on the classifieds here.

Good luck in your search. AK's aren't like other guns. What makes them great is their rugged durability, factors that we would look for in other guns really don't mean much when it comes to AK's.
    Help me out here would you.

People keep talking slant receiver. What makes you so sure it is a slant cut? Mine is not.

While the 1994 AWB is over, the ban on importing Chinese made AK's is not.

These mak 90 receivers are thicker than normal receivers.

I am almost positive that mak 90 receivers are not US made.

OP
    If you are just looking for a shooter, I agree. Don’t waste your money on a preban Chinese AK. If you want a gun that can never be imported again - give it a go.

i disagree with this statement - i've had two WASR's - one was accurate but had canted sights, and the other wouldn't group for crap at 50 yards but looked pretty. a lot of CAI rifles, including my Yugo UF, are assembled sloppily. my ban-era Norinco has none of those problems. yes, i would prefer it didn't have a thumbhole but the target doesn't seem to know the difference.

imo, ban-era rifles can be a real bargain for the shooter. i got my Colt HBAR and Norinco for a song because they don't have evil features that frankly i don't miss and probably wouldn't use. one-man bayonet charges aren't too effective, anyway.

my argument is, if you want to shoot it, get the ban-era Norinco. if you want it to look like an AK and don't care about fit or finish and are willing to accept a poor shooter if that is your luck of the draw, get a WASR. if you want an AK that looks like an AK and shoots reasonably well, spend some more $$ and at least get an Arsenal or other carefully-assembled parts rifle OR spend some obscene $$ on a pre-ban Norinco. if you want an accurate AK spend even more obscene $$ on a Krebs or custom-built AK

as for the rest of your comments i pretty much agree

to the OP - whatever you get, remember it wasn't designed for accuracy and the economical ammo you feed it wasn't either, so don't go complaining it doesn't do 1MOA. otherwise, have fun!
    Last edited by chauncey; August 24th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Chauncey, Guns4fun, and MAK47 are all correct.

I say get what your wallet dictates.

There is some merit to saving the money-spent for ammo by buying a cheap blasting WASR - which embodies the true spirit of the rough and tumble, rude, crude, and lewd AKM.

And likewise; just as much to be said for the who-freakin-cares-over-a-bayo lug CHICOM AKM that will never be imported again.

A wee tad of collectibility or exclusivity - vs. blastability.

If you do get the Norinco, try and live with the thumbhole for awhile - you might like it and it will allow you time to save for a set of Ironwood stocks made specifically for the MAK.

If you get the WASR - you'll never feel guilty if it gets bounced around in the trunk a bit. It was built to take it.

And feel blessed that you have the ducats to be able to make the choice.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Monroe County)

Its a MAK90, theyre currently going for $500-700, to convert it you'll need a 922 kit, all the parts houses sell them, no biggie, also the receiver cut is no biggie Tapco sells a converter for that, .

If youre not into AK's i think you should leve it for a collector like me.
    The MAK 90 has one of the best Chrome lined barrel and chamber you will ever see on any gun, the Chinese out did themselves on this one, it also has a 1.3 mm reciever which also makes it strong and heavy, the Wasr is crap compared to a MAK90, it also has a double hook hammer and no crooked sights like on a WASR etc. also a medium to havy barrel that is cut for air cooling, also a supewrb trigger with none of that awful backlash you get on some of the EUro guns, i could go on for Days.

Nyman

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Help me out here would you.

People keep talking slant receiver. What makes you so sure it is a slant cut? Mine is not.

While the 1994 AWB is over, the ban on importing Chinese made AK's is not.

These mak 90 receivers are thicker than normal receivers.

I am almost positive that mak 90 receivers are not US made.

OP
    If you are just looking for a shooter, I agree. Don’t waste your money on a preban Chinese AK. If you want a gun that can never be imported again - give it a go.
    Most MAK90s are slant cut ... or should I say the majority are slant vs. straight. It's safe to assume that most are slant.

You are correct that MAK90s are 100% foreign made receiver and all. Most guns that have American made receivers are kit guns. MAK90s are not. EDIT after re-read MAK47's post. I don't think he is talking about the MAK90s specifically. He is saying in general, the receiver can be a US part and it is a one of the only options for Kit built guns.

To the OP. In relation to other MAKs, $500 is a pretty good price. Is it "worth it". That's up to you. Can you get a WASR for under $400? Yep. Can you spend $1000+ on other AKs? Yep.

You have to decide WHY you want an AK. Is it for punching holes in paper, SHTF, collection, etc. That will help you decided. If it's for punching holes, get the cheapest AK you can find and spend the extra money on mags and ammo.

Now ... I do have a bit of a collectors bug in me so I have plunked a decent amount on an AK before and that's fine .. but when you boil it down they are all AKs and will last a lot longer then we will be alive.
    Last edited by mojo; August 27th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Just wanted to mention this ...

There is value to a "pre-ban". In practical sense, no but in reality there is. Why? Because collectors have and will pay a premium for them. That gives them value.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Mercer County)

Just n update. I bought it! I yanked the stock off the back. It is NOT slant cut. Nice rifle, I think it is a nice addition to my collection.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12