Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 9mm revolvers?

(Monroe County)

Default 9mm revolvers?

thoughts? personal experience? wondering why they arent more popular and everyone who makes them only does so for a few years.....saw a ruger sp-101 up for sale (pricey...but I'm a sucker for a smallish 3"revolver), thanks in advance everybody

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: 9mm revolvers?

Check out this Charter Arms 9mm (also shoots 380 ACP) revolver. I have this one in my sights as a possible carry gun.

http://gun-specifications.findthebes...-Arms-CARR-9MM
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/441...-revolver.html
    Last edited by Coops; August 23rd, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

(Elk County)

I like them, with reservations.

I currently own two SP101s in 9mm and my heirs will have to deal with their disposition. Great little revolvers, and plenty accurate out to 25 yds. DA and SA pulls are very good, and extraction of empty cases is easy despite their slight taper and tendency to lock in place.

I also own an unaltered Ruger three-screw "old model" Blackhawk in 4-5/8" with 357 and 9mm cylinders. The gun is very accurate with both cylinders.

I did own a S&W 940 in 9mm that shot fine but extraction was a PITA due to poor machining and finishing in the chambers. Brass cases almost had to be hammered out, and nickel plated cases extracted easier but still needed a sharp impulse on the ejector to kick out the cases. I even honed the chambers and although it helped extraction it was still annoying and I sold it.

S&W also made the model 547 in 3" and 4" for a short period of time in the 80s but those are now hot collector items approaching four figures in market price. Extraction was performed by six individual flat spring steel extractor "blades," one for each chamber. While the ejection is positive, the 547 is not worth the current asking price range, IMO.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

I had a Taurus 905c instant backup in 9mm. It was smaller than the normal jframe, or taurus as the frame and window were shorter, I think about 1/2 inch in total. I had no problems with it, and liked it, but someone wanted it more than I did, and offered me more than what I thought it was worth. Nice package as 9mm does not lose as much velocity in a less than 2 inch barrel as does a 357, so not as much muzzle flash. 38+p is about equal in a snubbie to 9mm IMO, and I would go with 357 or 38+p over 9mm. In a 3 or 4 inch barrel such as S&W 547 get a 357 you will be happier.

(Monroe County)

not using moon clips for th Rugers? ...and not in a big rush to see how good th new ppl using th Charter Arms name are doing with metallurgy and revolver timing

(Lehigh County)

i just recently saw one a couple months ago... it was a taurus... had it for sale at xringshooters sporting goods sale (center county)...

(Philadelphia County)

I think their popularity is a reflection of the market views. 9mm is typically a pistol caliber and with highly reliable pistols along the line of glock and sig, buyers would rather have higher capacity and light weight over the guaranteed reliable revolvers with very limited capacity.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Garm3 View Post
    not using moon clips for th Rugers? . . .
    Certainly am.

The Ruger moon clips are somewhat flimsy and readily bend, but the Ranch Products clips are very robust.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Luzerne County)

Got a 9mm SP101 3" when they first come out. Shot all kinds of junk through it. The only problem is with the factory moon clips. They are too thin and cartrages with hard primers will not go off. Got a bag of moon clips from a outfit called "Ranch Products". Now there is no broblems.I can shoot the gun untill it gets so dirty the cylinder will not turn. Take it apart (no tools needed) and let it soak in Hoppies for a few days and then start all over again. Why Ruger does not offer the 9mm anymore is "nuts".

(Lancaster County)

Although I own a .45 acp wheel gun, I pretty much feel that there are so many proven rounds for revolvers that these wheelies are nothing more than a marketing gimmick.