Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default AOW question and home defense

ive had an 870 as a HD for ever. its a old police trade in. i am interested in making it an AOW and buying or "machining" the barrel to 12" +/- just a bit longer than the factory mag tube cap. My thoughts being a handgun could possibly over penetrate and realistily i doubt i would need more than a 4 rounds ( weapon is stored cruiser safe) for hd. a shorter weapon would maximize manuverability and increase retention capability. i have also pondered buying a youth stock or removing about 1" from the stock as well. a lighter, shorter gun would allow better use with my support hand, opening doors using phone, etc. a weapon light will be attached, not sure how yet. i prefer remington HD loads utilizing #2 AND #4 shot in a high brass hull ( patterns well, feeds well and seems quite lethal at close range and would have less over penetration concerns verus larger size buck)

my question(s) are: is this possible? Is this an SBR or an AOW? Can it be done with just an AOW stamp or would infinge on some regulation i dont know about. does anybody have a source for factory 12" barrels (as i really dont want to have to buy a jig for drilling the bead site.

any feedback on this would be appretiated. most people i have spoken with about this give me the old " dude just use your AR cause .223 kills everything and dissinagrates in hard cover" i love my AR but i dont think that .223 works that way. i even have le frangible on standby, i just have some concerns about using an AR for HD, like in the event of a self defense incident i want to keep my rifle not donate it to my locale police force for one.

(Washington County)

Default Re: AOW question and home defense

As posted in the other thread:

I think you have some reading to do before making this decision, and probably some training.

http://theboxotruth.com/

Read up before you think you are good to go and your walls are bulletproof

From the test done the AR -15 with the right ammo is safer then 12 gauge with dnl ood buck or slugs. In the end we have to decided what is best for us I stlil
    like the 12 gauge ability to make multiple hits with one shot also its ability to hit moving target easily.

Personally I think the AR-15 is over kill for HD but I won't feel under gun with it just I'd pray that most of the rounds hit my expected target or scattered in dry wall as tested, .223 hp suppose to do that. I like options but I still like old faithful. U can't go wrong with a 12 gauge, but with new information the AR is an option.

(Jefferson County)

See your other thread in the NFA section.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    From the test done the AR -15 with the right ammo is safer then 12 gauge with dnl ood buck or slugs. In the end we have to decided what is best for us I stlil
    like the 12 gauge ability to make multiple hits with one shot also its ability to hit moving target easily.

Personally I think the AR-15 is over kill for HD but I won't feel under gun with it just I'd pray that most of the rounds hit my expected target or scattered in dry wall as tested, .223 hp suppose to do that. I like options but I still like old faithful. U can't go wrong with a 12 gauge, but with new information the AR is an option.
    Agreed, i definatly dont doubt that lethality of .223. and i have way more round s down range with my AR than a shotgun. my concern would be after action "perception". ill leave it at that. check some Masaad Ayoob work. he addresses legal issues quite well.

(Lancaster County)

do some checking into the NFA rules and try and find a class thee dealer to talk to.while I have a couple of black rifles I to will stick to my 870 for HD.as Clint Smith says it will remove body parts at close range.if you want to really make your 870 the best it can be.go to VANG COMP SYSTEMS.he worked my 870 over and how far out you can get small groups with OObuck has to be seen to believe.he's not cheap but good work never is.hope this helps crazywolf

(Bucks County)

What you are describing is an SBS, or Short Barrelled Shotgun, not an AOW. If you changed the stock to a pistol grip and had a short barrel it would be an AOW. You have a few things to consider:

1. If you have to use a short barreled shotgun indoors, without hearing protection, you will most likely suffer permanent hearing damage. A shotgun with a standard barrel (18" or more) is probably much less likely to cause permanent damage.

2. Any shotgun load that does not penetrate multiple interior walls will NOT be suitable for self-defense. The only solution to this problem is to be sure of what is behind your target and the walls behind your target.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    What you are describing is an SBS, or Short Barrelled Shotgun, not an AOW. If you changed the stock to a pistol grip and had a short barrel it would be an AOW. You have a few things to consider:

1. If you have to use a short barreled shotgun indoors, without hearing protection, you will most likely suffer permanent hearing damage. A shotgun with a standard barrel (18" or more) is probably much less likely to cause permanent damage.

2. Any shotgun load that does not penetrate multiple interior walls will NOT be suitable for self-defense. The only solution to this problem is to be sure of what is behind your target and the walls behind your target.
    It would still be a SBS. Changing a shoulder stock out for a pistol grip doesn't negate the fact that it was once a long gun. Once a should stock has even been attached, it is lawfully a long gun from there on out. For it to be a AOW, it has to be a smooth bore pistol that has never had a shoulder stock attached.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 23rd, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It would still be a SBS. Changing a shoulder stock out for a pistol grip doesn't negate the fact that it was once a long gun. Once a should stock has even been attached, it is lawfully a long gun from there one out. For it to be a AOW, it has to be a smooth bore pistol that has never had a shoulder stock attached.
    You're right, my mistake.

(Lehigh County)

I thought you might be interested in this....

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

AG