Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default SA 357. Virginian Dragoon or Ruger Blackhawk?

I have a 7.5 barrel blued Virginian Dragoon in 357 that I got for under 300 dollars. It shoots very accurate and is a fine looking revolver. I took it into a shop for some gun smithing (the spring that engages the cylinder lock is getting worn) and the shop owner told me he is always looking for Dragoons. He offered me an even swap for a used SS Ruger Blackhawk with what looked like a 6.5 inch barrel. That gun had white grip panels that I assume were not ivory. Anyway the Rugers price was 399 which is over a hundred dollars more than I paid for my gun so it should be a no brainer but I dont think I want to do it. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: SA 357. Virginian Dragoon or Ruger Blackhawk?

Found this .... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Mow_much_i..._dragoon_worth

Oh and of course, we'd all enjoy seeing a picture or ten.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post

Oh and of course, we'd all enjoy seeing a picture or ten.
    Ill get pics up when its back from the gunsmith. (if I dont bring the Ruger home instead). I had pics up here but I took them off photobucket for some reason and now I cant find them in my computer.

Its hard to beat a Ruger Black hawk for durability and reliability in SA pistols, I've always wanted a 43/4 barrel or 5" 357 Ruger BH.

The Virginian Dragon is a fancier revolver sometimes and closer copy of a Colt but with all the downside more delicate. It is a good strong revolver but I like the Ruger with Ivory grips just as nice looking in the end.

Either one would be a win, win situation. I personally prefer Ruger. If you already like the VD keep it.

(Jefferson County)

Since most replacement parts for the Dragoon will have to be handmade, you may want to consider taking up the offer if you want a shooter. Now if you want a wall hanger, or want to invest in having parts made, keep the Dragoon. It's possible to have a spring made for it, or modified from some other gun or piece of machinery.

The Virginian Dragoon receivers are absolute tanks, but their clockwork is a little more delicate than the Ruger's.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

I have a .44 mag Super black hawk hunter in SS 7.5" barrel. I think its one of the best SA revolvers made. Its huge, heavy and accurate. If you missed a bear you could club it to death with it. My opinion. Its the pic in my avatar
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I have a .44 mag Super black hawk hunter in SS 7.5" barrel. I think its one of the best SA revolvers made. Its huge, heavy and accurate. If you missed a bear you could club it to death with it. My opinion. Its the pic in my avatar
    You could do the same with the Virginian Dragoon seeing how it's bigger than the Blackhawk.. lol

Dragoon on the left, (old)Vaquero on the right(virtually the same as the Blackhawk)
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!