Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Am I the only one who prefers tube fed .22 rifles instead of magazine fed?

After shooting my Marlin model 60, I realized how much I prefer tube fed .22 rifles instead of magazine fed. Most magazines hold 10 or less rounds while my rifle holds 17 rounds. Plus it is a lot easier on the fingers to load than the magazines.

Sure I can't have 10 magazines ready and waiting, but I really don't care. It loads so fast I don't even think about it.

While buying a Marlin 81 (tube fed bolt action), the guys at the store were kind of poking fun at the rifle for being old and not having magazines.

So is it just me or are tube fed rifles way more fun?

-Zach

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Am I the only one who prefers tube fed .22 rifles instead of magazine fed?

As specially more fun when loading for your kids. I have always liked my tube fed 22's more.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Am I the only one who prefers tube fed .22 rifles instead of magazine fed?

I have never cared for tube fed rifles. Something about the tip of the one bullet resting against the primer of another bugs me.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

22's are rim fire

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rflynn View Post
    22's are rim fire
    Still has a primer. Thats part of what makes the boom. Right?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Somerset County)

For a hunting rifle, I find a magazine nice because it keeps shells contained in my pocket if I'm in and out of vehicle or the house and need to unload. Also, when my son and I go to the range, one of us loads magazines while the other just shoots.

On the other hand, unlike a removable mag, it's pretty hard to forget a tube magazine.

And I don't like the mags that stick way out, it interferes with carrying the rifle.

But I could live with a tube fed if that was all that was available.

RE: primers. A rimfire has the primer compound in the rim not a central primer. So the nose of one bullet shouldn't be resting on anything but brass case. In addition, you need the front edge of the rim supported when you strike it so that the case is crushed and the primer set off.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; August 22nd, 2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

(Bucks County)

The priming mixture is spun into the rim. There is no mixture in the center of the head of the case.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

I have a marlin model 60 as well. The tube is ok but sometimes I would prefer the mag over the tube like when making the gun safe or when the need to remove rounds that were not fired and need to be removed from the gun.
    Other wise its fine.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    . . . Sure I can't have 10 magazines ready and waiting . . .
    Yes you can.

I use inexpensive plastic tubing from McMaster-Carr, and cap them with soft vinyl caps that fit the tubing. I cut the tubing to length for the capacity desired, cap one end, load the tube, and cap the open end. It's nothing to have eight or 15 tubes ready to go in a separate gun case, having done all the loading at home.

www.mcmaster.com -- the "super" hardware store.

EXCEPTION: With my High Standard Sport King Rifle and Carbine, a separate mag tube "speedloading tube" is not required. A High Standard engineer in the early 60s patented the idea to place the cartridge loading window at about 2 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock position. This way, 22 cartridges are placed in the gap between the barrel and the mag tube anywhere FORWARD of the cartridge loading window, and with the rifle tipped just right, a string of 22s will zzziiippp right into the mag tube in the blink of an eye.

BTW: I love leverguns, so I automatically love tubular mags.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: Am I the only one who prefers tube fed .22 rifles instead of magazine fed?

Tube-fed .22's - reminds me of my days at Boy Scout Camp, MOST of a lifetime ago!

Anyone still MAKE a good tube-feed .22? I oughta get one for my boys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast