Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Shoulder Holster Question

I've been looking at various CC holster options that will be comfortable when sitting down for long periods of time. I am curious as to how a shoulder holster would work under a t-shirt. Do they conceal well enough under the arm (full size XD40 and I wear loose fitting, comfy t-shirts)? Would I be able to wear the holster on bare skin under a shirt or would an undershirt be a better move(looking for feedback on comfort from those who have tried on bare skin)?
    If the shoulder holster isn't the best move for this, any suggestions for holsters that would give me the lowest chances of ever printing yet allow decent access (I normally carry in a Blackhawk SERPA II at 4 o'clock)?
    Thanks in advanced!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Shoulder Holster Question

Quote Originally Posted by 0hW0rd View Post
    I've been looking at various CC holster options that will be comfortable when sitting down for long periods of time. I am curious as to how a shoulder holster would work under a t-shirt. Do they conceal well enough under the arm (full size XD40 and I wear loose fitting, comfy t-shirts)?
    The short answer is no: it will print abominably. Also, you'll never be able to draw a gun readily in shoulder holster from under a T shirt. You'll need a cover garment of some heft to make a S/H work.

(Bucks County)

I agree that will not work. For sitting down, look up the galco sky cops holster. It's a high ride cross draw owb (outside the waistband) holster, designed for air marshalls that will be sitting on a plane for long periods of time. It will probably be a much better option than a shoulder holster under a tee shirt.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The short answer is no: it will print abominably. Also, you'll never be able to draw a gun readily in shoulder holster from under a T shirt. You'll need a cover garment of some heft to make a S/H work.
    A couple detectives around here wear a shoulder rig and you can't even tell they have guns under their jacket. You can toss on a light hoodie and conceal, or just a sweater. This depends on the gun, holster, and your body composition.

I wouldn't discount shoulder rigs, they're just not for everyone. I will admit they are best worn with a cover garment (jacket, vest, hoodie, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    A couple detectives around here wear a shoulder rig and you can't even tell they have guns under their jacket. You can toss on a light hoodie and conceal, or just a sweater. This depends on the gun, holster, and your body composition.

I wouldn't discount shoulder rigs, they're just not for everyone. I will admit they are best worn with a cover garment (jacket, vest, hoodie, etc)
    I am not in any way discounting the shoulder holster option. What I am discounting, as a concealment non-starter, is a shoulder holster worn with a T shirt as the sole cover garment.

Beyond that, the light cover garment is problematic. Sure, you can wear a really light cover garment over a s/h, a la Miami Vice, and it looks great in front of the mirror as long as you don't move. But the slightest breeze, or indeed, sudden moves you make, tend to open up the cover garment and people can see inside. Half the time you end you up buttoning the cover garment 2/3 of the way up, unless it's as heavy as a coat.
    Last edited by dgg9; August 22nd, 2010 at 07:22 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Beyond that, the light cover garment is problematic. Sure, you can wear a really light cover garment over a s/h, a la Miami Vice, and it looks great in front of the mirror as long as you don't move. But the slightest breeze, or indeed, sudden moves you make, tend to open up the cover garment and people can see inside. Half the time you end you up buttoning the cover garment 2/3 of the way up, unless it's as heavy as a coat.
    Same thing can be said for people who carry OWB with a cover garment. It's happened to me on a few occasions.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Bucks County)

Same thing can be said for people who carry OWB with a cover garment. It's happened to me on a few occasions.
    The crucial difference is that you can easily OWB carry at the 4:00 position, which is behind the visible horizon for passersby. If your shirt billows open, no one need see anything. With a shoulder holster, the gun butt is right there, precariously close to the front of the cover garment. It's natural and often unavoidable that the cover garment opens up slightly with breeze or movement. It's not nearly as often that it billows so open that the back of the garment flies up...that can be prevented easily enough with practice.

Essentially, to conceal with a s/h, the front of the cover garment must hang flat, sight up and down, and stay pinned close to your body, and can't billow open more than a tiny amount. This is an unnatural restriction for any garment, but especially a light garment like an unbuttoned oxford shirt or the like. It's one of those things that TV and movies deceive you into thinking is easy.

To conceal with an OWB behind the 3:00 horizon is much, much more forgiving.
    Last edited by dgg9; August 22nd, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

(Erie County)

Thanks for the feedback so far. Concealment is super key with where I will be so I can't chance going OWB as much as I'd like to. I ran an uncle mikes IWB for a while but was constantly having to pull my t-shirt back down over the butt, which is fine with me 99% of the time...but not at this location.
    Have any of you tried the 5.11 holster undershirt? With my options being don't carry at all or carry deeply and give up some speed with accessing it, I'd much rather give up the extra few seconds than not have it at all. For reference, I am 6'2 and a lean/cut 175lbs.

(Monroe County)

That shirt looks really cool, no idea if it works or not to be honest.

Also, uncle mikes holsters are complete trash/garbage/fecal matter/scum, you get the point. Get a quality IWB holster, AND a good gun belt which can be had from 5.11 for about $30 and you won't be having to do any adjustments at all. Check out the Crossbreed supertuck IWB holster, it's quite amazing from what I've heard. I bet half the forum has one.

(Erie County)

That shirt looks really cool, no idea if it works or not to be honest.

Also, uncle mikes holsters are complete trash/garbage/fecal matter/scum, you get the point. Get a quality IWB holster, AND a good gun belt which can be had from 5.11 for about $30 and you won't be having to do any adjustments at all. Check out the Crossbreed supertuck IWB holster, it's quite amazing from what I've heard. I bet half the forum has one.
    Yeah, I'm super interested in the shirt and the few reviews I have read seem to be positive.
    My dog ate my uncle mikes a few weeks ago after he found it on the dining-room table (sans gun). I was looking at the Blackhawk retention strap CC holsters but didn't find one at my LGS that fit my XD well. I already have a Blackhawk gun belt so I'm already set with that.
    I have been looking at the Crossbreeds for a bit now and would get one in a second for normal CC but still think using something like that is risking it too much in this situation. Im almost thinking I'm going to have to keep it in my bag when I'm sitting down.
    Is there a S/H made that draws down so I could pull it strait down from reaching up under my shirt?
    I wish hoodie weather would hurry up and get here so I can stop stressing this...I'd look somewhat odd wearing a hoodie in this 90* weather I think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast