Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default open carry w/lcfa + retired leo

Hi everyone:
    I am new to this forum and I have a LCFA in PA plus I am a retired LEO.
    My question is, if I OC in PA am I in violation of LEOSA by not concealing?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: open carry w/lcfa + retired leo

No.. There is NO law stating that you must conceal the firearm - except in State Parks.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jond View Post
    Hi everyone:
    You dont need to be a retired LEO or possess a LTCF to legally OC in PA (Outside of Philadelphia)

Hi everyone:
    I presume by LCFA you mean LTCF?
    Regardless concealing is optional.

BTW what is LEOSA?
    Edit:
    Never mind Google is my friend.
    Last edited by God's Country; August 13th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

In PA we have a LTCF, license to carry firearms. What is the LCFA you're referring to? Also, AFAIK with LEOSA you must follow the state laws of whichever state you are in. Meaning, you can carry and have a few beers at the bar or restaurant in PA, but if you're in a state like virginia, you cannot carry concealed and consume alcohol. If you're in a conference center in PA it's legal, but if you're in a conference center in NC you can't carry there because it's against NC state law.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

jond, not to be a dick or anything but, being a retired LEO, which means you have been in the business for quite a few years, and I do respect LEO`s, maybe you could enlighten us a little.

Is the Law Enforcement community that clueless about firearm laws and constituional rights that a retired LEO has to ask a qustion like this on a public forum?

(Chester County)

If you are invoking retired LEOSA (18 USC 926C) pre-emption then you must carry concealed.

But if you are carrying in compliance with state laws there is no need to claim that 926C pre-emption. Therefore the proviso that you carry CC, which 926C prescribes, is not applicable to your Pa carry.

If you travel into a state where a citizen normally can't carry (like NJ) then you would have to invoke 926C preemption but then you MUST also CC. Note: 926C does have restrictions on where it applies.

§ 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
    (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
    (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park
    (c) As used in this section, the term “qualified retired law enforcement officer” means an individual who—
    (1) retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability;
    (2) before such retirement, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest;
    (3)
    (A) before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more; or
    (B) retired from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;
    (4) has a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency;
    (5) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the State’s standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms;
    (6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    (7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
    <snip>
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 13th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
    IANAL

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    jond, not to be a dick or anything but, being a retired LEO, which means you have been in the business for quite a few years, and I do respect LEO`s, maybe you could enlighten us a little.

Is the Law Enforcement community that clueless about firearm laws and constituional rights that a retired LEO has to ask a qustion like this on a public forum?
    Sorry I was about as clear as mud. LTCF. I only recently retired from NJ.
    I Have to qualify here in PA to conceal carry in the US. I often open carry
    in my community and I expect sooner or later someone will call the State Police on the man with the gun me. Then I have a choice, Show them my LTCF or my retired ID and qualification card. One allows me to OC the other does not. If I were still active duty OCing off duty would be in violation of department policy. About six months ago I asked one of our range instructors once I retire how could I live in PA and qualify in NJ and he had no clue. So I found this forum and all the answers to my questions were here, but I haven't seen this one. So the question is am I in violation of anything while open OC in PA as a retied LEO?

(Allegheny County)

No. You don't even need an LTCF to Open Carry (Except in Philly) in PA.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Sorry I was about as clear as mud. LTCF. I only recently retired from NJ.
    I Have to qualify here in PA to conceal carry in the US. I often open carry
    in my community and I expect sooner or later someone will call the State Police on the man with the gun me. Then I have a choice, Show them my LTCF or my retired ID and qualification card. One allows me to OC the other does not. If I were still active duty OCing off duty would be in violation of department policy. About six months ago I asked one of our range instructors once I retire how could I live in PA and qualify in NJ and he had no clue. So I found this forum and all the answers to my questions were here, but I haven't seen this one. So the question is am I in violation of anything while open OC in PA as a retied LEO?
    Actually, when OCing, you would not even have to show them your LTCF, as it is not needed for OCing (on foot)...except in Philly where it is required

ETA: Outdrawn by falcn on that one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast