Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Truglo Power-Dot Archery Site

Ok....I've been looking on-line at this bow site: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat600320_feat

It's the Truglo Power-Dot bow site. Now, from what I've read it's similar to a red dot for a rifle or handgun.....but I can't seem to find out some specific details about it. So....let me ask here and maybe someone who knows can help:

1) This appears to be a "fancy" electronic one-pin sight. If I set the "pin" on 20 yards.....do I then need to hold the pin.....say at the top of the deer's back if the deer is standing at 35 yards? (Assuming a flat terrain)

2) The info says "Adjustable one-hand for quick ranging". Exactly what the heck does that mean? I have a range finder that I can use with one-hand. This mumbo-jumbo makes no sense to me.

3) And finally....and most importantly.....is this gizmo legal to use in Pa.?

Thanks for any input you can provide.....'cause Truglo marketing people suck at this.

Dave

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Truglo Power-Dot Archery Site

I could be wrong, but it used to be illegal to use projection sights during archery hunting bit I don't know if that is still around.

personally there is no way I would put this on my bow, especially for hunting. KISS. the LAST thing you need is something that must be turned on while you are in a tree.

It acts like a single pin sight, you would adjust it for the different yardage. most people who shoot a single pin either set it for 20 and never shoot over 30 or set it for 25.

I would suggest going with a 3 pin sight
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Westmoreland County)

Dredly,

Yeah.....it's not a projection sight...not like a lazer projection beam (Beam me up Scotty). It's just a dot in the center of a non-magnifying piece of glass.

I already have a 3 pin sight.....I guess I wanted to understand for the price.....does this work that much better than my existing sight?

Dave

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Dredly,

Yeah.....it's not a projection sight...not like a lazer projection beam (Beam me up Scotty). It's just a dot in the center of a non-magnifying piece of glass.

I already have a 3 pin sight.....I guess I wanted to understand for the price.....does this work that much better than my existing sight?

Dave
    nah, its just a cool new gadget. and i believe it is a projection site in that it has a laser that shines on a piece of glass.. i think which MAY make it illegal... the law is really fuzzy about it

Electronic Devices: 2) Lighted pins on bow sights and
    scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as they don’t cast a beam.
    Any device used as a sight or scope on any firearm, bow or crossbow that
    projects a light beam of any kind onto the target is unlawful.
    So I dunno... buit based on reviews I wouldn't get it

"it took a while to setup and get it to stay without sliding. It targeted nicely once set up in a nice indoor range. It allowed me to be very accurate in an indoor range and even in a nice overcast day, but and i mean but if its a bright sunny day you can kiss the dot in the site goodbye. I spent two weeks working on this site and falling inlove with it and then i went to shoot outside on a bright sunny day and said wheres the dot. I first thought the battery was dead. no the battery's ok i turned up the brightness no no dot. I took it inside and ill be damned the dot shows up. I then walk outside no dot. Its a great and accurate site but if i cant see it what good is it."
    Last edited by Dredly; August 20th, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Westmoreland County)

Hey Dred....thanks for finding that review!! For the price of this site....you better be able to see it no matter what. I'd hate to have that 48 point 350lb buck standing broadside on a nice sunny day....only to find out I can't find the damn dot!!!!

Thanks for your input!!

Dave

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I could be wrong, but it used to be illegal to use projection sights during archery hunting bit I don't know if that is still around.

personally there is no way I would put this on my bow, especially for hunting. KISS. the LAST thing you need is something that must be turned on while you are in a tree.

It acts like a single pin sight, you would adjust it for the different yardage. most people who shoot a single pin either set it for 20 and never shoot over 30 or set it for 25.

I would suggest going with a 3 pin sight
    +1 for you dredly, this has the potential of ruining a hunt without any advantage. Especially since this sight is 'water resistant', that could really suck.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"