Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default What's with the gun???

Had to get my friend's father's car towed today. We arrived and he had a caved in winsheild.... someone kicked it in overnight

The state trooper that came was pretty cool. He had a full size 45 GAP Glock and we discussed how he liked it. (he hates it... wishes he had a G17 or a G22....) lol

The towtruck finally arrived and I was wearing no shirt after being in the hot car for an hour of waiting, so even though I decided to CC this morning, my G26 that *was* in CC mode was now clearly out in the open on a Clipdraw tucked in my waist...

The driver came and talked to us for a few seconds and was acting completely normal... then I noticed his head was down. He was either looking at my junk... or at my Glock. My figuring was affirmed when the almost scared question came out with "what's with the gun?" I explained that I normally OC but had decided to CC this morning and since it got so hot, I had taken my shirt off, exposing my pistol. He shrugged it off and continued his job but kept looking at me... (maybe I was gonna steal his truck?) lol

It wasn't that much of an incident but the ordeal with the cop supprised me yet again that he was so willing to talk about his pistol. The situation with the driver wasn't bad either (obviously) but it supprised me that he commented on it. Most of the time people just say nothing. He must have though I was gonna rob him....

Damn those OC'ing criminals! Always flaunting their illegal guns and in expensive holsters too!!!! WTF!?!?!? lol
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Lehigh County)

Red face Re: What's with the gun???

A Glock with a Clipdraw...

Oooh, that makes me cringe!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: What's with the gun???

Quote Originally Posted by snoman View Post
    A Glock with a Clipdraw...

Oooh, that makes me cringe!
    It did to me too, at one time, because it really does sound dangerous "on paper" so to speak.

But then I started thinking about just what sort of action would actually have to happen in order to get some sort of pointy object to either pierce my pants or jam into them hard enough to insert something into the trigger area. One thing is for sure, something sharp comes at my junk area like that, I'm worried about what else sharp and pointy is coming at me that is aimed for the rest of me. Not to mention a non-pointy thing jamming into the trigger area would have to drag along all the bunching up area of my pants, and with enough force not only to pucker itself into the trigger but to keep it there while the force is pushing me backward. I'm 180, not a rooted tree trunk. And it has to get in there far enough to hit the trigger correctly, and disable the trigger safety. Not that difficult, as long as we're making this up, but it is a requirement.

And then, after jamming or piercing into my pants, it has to jerk itself around in a manner that will press the trigger with the appropriate poundage. All while I'm doing my best to squirm off of this whatever-it-is.

After thinking about it methodically, I realized I would have to be basically being tossed about almost like a rag doll stuck on the front of some maniac vehicle or somesuch with a set of bull's horns on the hood while the ghetto hydraulics were making us all hop along to the song Jump Around: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Q0jPyrja0

Now, there's unlikely scenarios, and then there are unlikely scenarios.

I think the biggest danger with a clipdraw is likely to be the same danger with all holsters... Namely, that some bit of clothing gets caught in the trigger guard while holstering, and the carrier's hand pushing down presses the trigger. And that can happen with just about any holster, depending on what you're wearing. I suppose even a tacticool drop leg holster might even be able to suffer that sort of failure, if there's something like a trenchcoat or poncho involved. (edit: of course with lack of attention)

Anyone got stories of a clipdraw being involved in a ND where something pushed through the pants and cause a round to fire, not during a draw/holster action?
    Last edited by JayG23; August 19th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.

(York County)

I actually don't always carry with a round in the chamber.. It's *usually* my BUG.... some times though, like this morning... it's my fulll time gun. Then, I carry with a round in the chamber.... other times though, I carry the pistol in a FOBUS holster.

Obviously.... with a round chambered.

Look down at your pants.
    Now hold your pants out and look down them.
    (not at that...)
    now tell me what you're gonna catch your trigger on with 5.5lbs of force?

more of a mental worry than physical... lol

(Allegheny County)

If you need a backup gun, you're going to need it ready to go the second it's in your hand.

(York County)

that is true....

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post

He was either looking at my junk... or at my Glock.
    I cant believe you used the word Glock and junk in the same sentence! Shame on you !!!

I love my G19

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, it's not like they need to be differentiated :P