Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default The Hunter/Trapper Education Exam!

This might seem silly to some of you but as a 27 year old I am taking the PA hunting/trapping exam and getting my very first hunting license soon. I'm doing this because in spite of growing up in a gunless household, I've grown to love guns during recent times and I'm really interested in becoming less grocery store dependent on meat. I've chosen to go with the independent study option because Centre county classes either don't exist or they fill up REALLY quickly. I'm guessing the exam isn't terribly difficult, as many 11 year olds pass it every year, but does anyone have any tips for me?

Assuming I pass the exam, the next challenge will be to work out the accessibility challenges of hunting, since I use a wheelchair to get around. I have a few ideas already but I'm also considering applying for a vehicle hunting permit for disabled folks. It will allow me to shoot from or around my car, if necessary. Does anyone happen to know anything about hunting from a wheelchair in PA?

Thanks.
    Last edited by righteousbarbarian; October 26th, 2007 at 03:56 PM.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: The Hunter/Trapper Education Exam!

Quote Originally Posted by righteousbarbarian View Post
    This might seem silly to some of you but as a 27 year old I am taking the PA hunting/trapping exam and getting my very first hunting license soon. I'm doing this because in spite of growing up in a gunless household, I've grown to love guns during recent times and I'm really interested in becoming less grocery store dependent on meat. I've chosen to go with the independent study option because Centre county classes either don't exist or they fill up REALLY quickly. I'm guessing the exam isn't terribly difficult, as many 11 year olds pass it every year, but does anyone have any tips for me?

Assuming I pass the exam, the next challenge will be to work out the accessibility challenges of hunting, since I use a wheelchair to get around. I have a few ideas already but I'm also considering applying for a vehicle hunting permit for disabled folks. It will allow me to shoot from or around my car, if necessary. Does anyone happen to know anything about hunting from a wheelchair in PA?

Thanks.
    I don't have any tips on the hunter safety exam but I don't think you should have much trouble with it.

As for hunting access, I know some of the State Game Lands have access roads for disabled folks. That may be a place to start. Another option besides a car may be a quad, if you have access to one. I'm not sure of the laws surrounding their use while hunting but I do know of folks using them to get to their stands on private property. Hope this helps ...

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: The Hunter/Trapper Education Exam!

I took it many many many years ago.. Most of it is common sense questions about safety. Other parts is on game law, types of guns allowed, types of traps, etc..

I think there was 50 questions, all of which were easy. Just pay attention during the class and movies, also read the guide/manual they give you.

If you have a permanent disability, you can get waivers/permits for using vehicles and such to hunt from. I think all that is required is to have your doctor fill out a form for you and send it in. There are some WC accessible places, however most of the Game Lands is woods. You might need friends to assist you if you have to track a hit deer through certain terrain(not trying to deter you). You could probably find a farmer that would allow you to hunt his/her fields from your vehicle/atv too. Dont be afraid to ask a landowner to hunt... sure, you may get turned down a couple times.. but you may also get one to say "hell yeah! theres a 10 point that frequents that field over there and eat my corn.."
    Last edited by knight0334; October 29th, 2007 at 08:54 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!