Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Unhappy What is "research"?

I just returned from going to pickup my new Mossberg 590 which I had ordered and when my background check was run, I was told I couldn't buy it because "more research" had to be done. What does this mean? Is there anything I can do get this speeded up? Thanks one and all.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What is "research"?

It means that PICS agents are researching your background because it didn't come up clean. There are a few reasons for this, someone with the same name as you may be prohibited and there was a mix up, your social security # was put in improperly on someones end and it pulled up a prohibited person, or you are actually prohibited because of past convictions and they are researching to get the correct information.

Have you ever been convicted of any crimes?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Chester County)

Nope, no convictions. Not even a speeding ticket for more than 10 years. It's so frustrating. Then there was the change in demeanor of the sales clerk. She looked at me as if to say "What did you do?" I don't like the feeling it gave me. So I guess for now all I can do is wait until whenever, whoever sorts it out?

(Luzerne County)

Usually means PICS screwed up.

Check this out:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...26-2010-a.html

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by xwickslady View Post
    Nope, no convictions. Not even a speeding ticket for more than 10 years. It's so frustrating. Then there was the change in demeanor of the sales clerk. She looked at me as if to say "What did you do?" I don't like the feeling it gave me. So I guess for now all I can do is wait until whenever, whoever sorts it out?
    Most girls are idiots, so keep that in mind. It's most likely a screw up in the system somewhere. I happened to me. The big pain in the ass with this is the time frame to get it all sorted out. You should have gotten a challenge form. Fill it out and send it in right away. You'll get a letter in the mail 30 some days after they receive it with a reason and PICS phone number to call. Give them a call, they are helpful enough for government workers. You can call after you believe they have received your letter. They won't talk to you until they get that. I forget the phone number, but if you do a search for PICS challenge on here you can find it. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by xwickslady View Post
    I just returned from going to pickup my new Mossberg 590 which I had ordered and when my background check was run, I was told I couldn't buy it because "more research" had to be done. What does this mean?
    It means they know who you are and what you've really done.
    You're totally screwed.

Nah j/k

Most likely answer

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Usually means PICS screwed up.

Check this out:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...26-2010-a.html
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    You should have gotten a challenge form.
    You don't get a challenge form unless you are DENIED, being in research just means something out of the ordinary happened.

We seem to get a lot of questions about what is going on when someone is put into "Research" by the PICS.

Hope this helps clear things up.

This is directly from the PSP: (Anything in italics I added for clarification)

Research Response
    Certain situations will prevent a background check from being approved or denied at the time of the initial call. Possible circumstances which may result in a transaction being delayed for research include: Potentially prohibiting records that require additional information or clarification, poor response time on a particular database or a database that is temporarily out of service. If this condition occurs, you (the FFL calling the PICS) will be informed that the background check cannot be completed at this time and that more research must be done before a final determination can be made. The FFL should then inform the customer of the situation.
    Under research status, the firearm dealer cannot let the prospective purchaser or transferee take possession of any firearm. It should be noted that every effort is made to complete research on an individual as soon as possible. Immediately upon completion of the research, the operator is required to call the dealer to give the final decision. It may take as long as 15 days for an operator to obtain the information needed to provide a final decision.

A Pennsylvania firearm dealer cannot transfer a firearm to a non-licensee until the receive an approval number from a PICS representative.

Researched Approvals
    As soon as an operator determines that an individual placed in research may be approved they will contact the dealer. Once an approval number is given to a dealer it is only good until the close of business on the day it is given. In most case, the customer is no longer in the store so the dealer is given the option to call back for the approval number after he has contacted the customer. Under these circumstances, the approval number will be held a maximum of one week. Therefore, if a dealer is called Monday with an approval, the number will be held until midnight the following Monday. If the dealer is unable to contact the customer within this time frame, a new background check must be initiated
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You don't get a challenge form unless you are DENIED, being in research just means something out of the ordinary happened.

We seem to get a lot of questions about what is going on when someone is put into "Research" by the PICS.

Hope this helps clear things up.

This is directly from the PSP: (Anything in italics I added for clarification)

Research Response
    Certain situations will prevent a background check from being approved or denied at the time of the initial call. Possible circumstances which may result in a transaction being delayed for research include: Potentially prohibiting records that require additional information or clarification, poor response time on a particular database or a database that is temporarily out of service. If this condition occurs, you (the FFL calling the PICS) will be informed that the background check cannot be completed at this time and that more research must be done before a final determination can be made. The FFL should then inform the customer of the situation.
    Under research status, the firearm dealer cannot let the prospective purchaser or transferee take possession of any firearm. It should be noted that every effort is made to complete research on an individual as soon as possible. Immediately upon completion of the research, the operator is required to call the dealer to give the final decision. It may take as long as 15 days for an operator to obtain the information needed to provide a final decision.

A Pennsylvania firearm dealer cannot transfer a firearm to a non-licensee until the receive an approval number from a PICS representative.

Researched Approvals
    As soon as an operator determines that an individual placed in research may be approved they will contact the dealer. Once an approval number is given to a dealer it is only good until the close of business on the day it is given. In most case, the customer is no longer in the store so the dealer is given the option to call back for the approval number after he has contacted the customer. Under these circumstances, the approval number will be held a maximum of one week. Therefore, if a dealer is called Monday with an approval, the number will be held until midnight the following Monday. If the dealer is unable to contact the customer within this time frame, a new background check must be initiated
    Hmm. I didn't know that. I was denied, then after sending my letter in to pics and calling them, they told me I was in research. The first letter they sent me said I was in research too. Sounds like it will be easier for the OP then the crap I had to go through. Either way, I am sure it will work out for the OP like it did for me.

(Chester County)

Wink Re: What is "research"?

Thanks to all of you for your helpful (mostly) comments. So for now, I'll just take a deep breath and wait and see what happens. From what you have all said - it seems like it will probably just work itself out. Oh, by the way Kratos - you said "Most girls are idiots, so keep that in mind" I'm a girl, well not so much a girl anymore but definitely female!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast