Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Who Needs A Gun?

http://mentalbrushfire.blogspot.com/...needs-gun.html

Who Needs A Gun?

I was out with my family last night and some people noticed my firearm. An older gentleman made a comment that he never needed a gun and would never need a gun. I kindly spoke with him and asked how quickly the police would show up if he needed protection. He admitted that they would likely not show up in time. In fact, they have no legal obligation to protect you according to our judicial system. If this is the case why are people so apprehensive about law abiding citizens carrying a means to defend themselves?

The common question I see on the faces of people who happen to notice my firearm is one of puzzlement mixed with contempt. They simply do not see the reason why I feel the need to carry a gun wherever I go. Why do you need a gun at a park? Why do you need a gun at the grocery store? Why do you need a gun at all?

Now some of you reading this might just agree with those thoughts. Why does someone need a gun? Well, my answer is quite simple: we likely don't. Most of the time there is no reason to carry a gun. In fact, statistically an overwhelming majority of the time I don't need a gun.

So, now that we have established that fact I think I will disarm myself, hop in my time machine back to October 16, 1991, visit a place called Luby's Cafeteria and sit down for a bite to eat. I feel comfortable in the fact that I more than likely do not need my firearm. Little do I know that a crazed madman is about to drive his truck through the wall next to me, get out, and start shooting patrons. I had no idea that I would be among the 23 dead but, hey, who needs a gun in a restaurant?

Well, let's raise me from the dead and hop back in that time machine and visit the year 2007. Our destination is Virgina Polytechnic Institute and being that its a college campus I am absolutely positive that I am not going to need a gun. This is a place of learning not violence. Wait a minute, perhaps someone should have told that to the young Asian man I see walking toward me with guns blazing. 32 dead...I guess they didn't need guns. After all, someone could get hurt.

These are just some of the most horrific tragedies, but there are many more examples you can find if you simply turn on the 6 o'clock news every night. We like to feel safe and no rational person wishes to invite danger but the truth is that we live in a world where not all of us are good guys.

No one knows when bad things will happen they can only prepare. The chances that I will need my gun to defend the lives of me and my family are slim. You are most likely right when you say there is no need for me to carry a firearm into a park or to a library or to a church. But I will gladly bear your contempt for all the times I will not need my gun for the one rare chance that I do so that if that unfortunate occurrence takes place I will not have to live the rest of my life with the regret that I could have saved the lives of those I love but instead followed your advice and played the odds.

We all value different things in this life. We take steps to keep them safe and secure our investments. We insure our houses and we insure our vehicles but when it comes to the most valuable possession we own we throw caution to the wind and leave it unprotected. When the chips are down and life and death are decided by mere seconds no one will be there to help you. The police will always be there for you, of course, but they won't be there to save you; just to clean up the mess. The only person that can ensure your safety is you. You are your own last line of defense.

The next time you see a man with a gun do not ask him why he needs it; just be glad he doesn't.
    Last edited by t1m0thy; August 19th, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: Who Needs A Gun?

This is one of the best posts I've seen you make. This is one of those statements that needs to be circulated around the internet and possible to a TV/newspaper.

Its to the point, and makes perfect logical sense.

I'll try to rep you, although I'm sure it will tell me to spread it around.

(Washington County)

After hearing Suzanna Hupp speak at the rally back in April, I never leave home without being armed. You simply never know and places that are "safe" can easily be turned into a killing zone.

All of us have insurance on our cars. None of us ever wants to make use of that insurance. We aren't "scared" to drive but we have insurance to protect us against the unforeseen accident. Carrying a firearm is exactly the same thing. I hope to never have it leave my holster. I pray that I never need to use it. I'm not scared to leave my house, I live my life, I just happen to bring along some personal defense insurance.

(Berks County)

Somwhere in the archives of this forum there was mention of a sheriff who was at an award luncheon or banquet of some type and when one of the attendees saw his firearm asked if he was expecting trouble. He replied that if he was expecting trouble he would have brought a rifle and a shotgun.

Most if not all of us have heard the comedian Ron White refer to his wife's cooking when the smoke alarm goes off... "Hon, the food is done before that particular timer goes off".
    • The point being, our homes have smoke detectors not because we expect to have a fire, but because we could have a fire.
    • In the kitchen, bathroom and garage our electric outlets are GFI, not because we expect to get electrocuted, but we could.
    • Our cars have air bags, crumple zones andseat belts. Not because we expect to be in an accident but we could be in an accident.

The list could be endless, often our government sees the need to legislate in a fashion that protects us from ourselves.

So, keeping the above examples in mind the next time you hear someone say we need "common sense gun laws" point out that would entail mandatory carry of firearms because we might find ourselves in a situation where we could need one.

(Bucks County)

Great article. If someone asks why you have a gun, you could say "why do you lock your house? Why do you wear a seatbelt? Why do you have insurance? Are you just paranoid?" It's really the same type of thinking. He made a good point that people put effort into securing their belongings, but not securing themselves.

(Centre County)

I agree carrying a gun will increase your chance of survival but unfortanetly it's never a sure thing, sometimes you're caught off guard. Look at the armed Seattle LEOs that were killed in that cafe; or the Pittsburgh LEOs killed by the nut job in the district; and closer to home is the one member Melanie from Lebanon who carried a gun open all the time but it didn't save her life when her husband took both of their lives last year. I'm sitting in the car at the library right now typing this post and someone could walk up to my driver's side right now and empty their gun before I have the chance to grab mine.

(Washington County)

If I knew where bad guys were going to do evil things, I would carry a cop to that time and place.

Until that becomes a feasible thing, I'll just carry my wits and a firearm.

(Warren County)

OP - one of the best posts I've read on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    there was mention of a sheriff who was at an award luncheon or banquet of some type and when one of the attendees saw his firearm asked if he was expecting trouble. He replied that if he was expecting trouble he would have brought a rifle and a shotgun.

You have no idea how much I use this as an inside joke to some of my friends. I believe the quote said just a shotgun (could be wrong about that) So I try to slide that in there anytime I can. If I am watching a movie and I see a guy with a shotgun I'll say "clearly, he's expecting trouble" or...if we're playing a shooter game like Ghost Recon or Battlefield or whatever and I'm picking my weapon loadout, I'll be like.... "well, I'm expecting trouble, so I better bring my shotgun"

because the shotgun is the ultimate badass weapon. Especially when its an automatic shotgun. And an automatic shotgun with exploding rounds. Anyone see The Expendables? Freakin awesome, I think I'll start a thread about that.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by crashland View Post
    I hope to never have it leave my holster. I pray that I never need to use it. I'm not scared to leave my house, I live my life, I just happen to bring along some personal defense insurance.
    "I pray I never need my gun
    But someday if I do,
    May my cause be just,
    My draw be quick
    And my aim be ever true!"

(from The Sheepdog's Prayer)
    Last edited by WALTHERGUY; August 19th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world is and remains immortal.- Albert Pines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast