Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Rifle for target competition and critters

I'm still undecided. I want a rifle for target competitions and the same rifle to be used on woodchucks, coyotes, etc. I've been told 22 mag, 22/250, 223, and 243. Convince me. Which one!

(Perry County)

Default Re: Rifle for target competition and critters

What kind of competitions are you considering? I believe you will find that being competitive will require a rather limited selection.

(Westmoreland County)

I agree it all depends on what type of competition you want to shoot it in . I would rule out the 22mag.though for either there are better choices. For varmits the rds. you have listed are fine theres also the 222, 260 ,308 with proper bullet selection. the 243 along with the latter two would also do well at longer distance , again with proper bullet selection.

(Luzerne County)

What kind of competitions are you considering?
    Exactly. For top end competitions you will find calibers like 6mmPPC, 30 BR, 30 Aardvark, etc. All custom chambered rifles and handloaded ammo.

(Berks County)

Also, IMO the .22WMR (mag) is to light for Pa coyotes. Yes, people use it and bag coyotes every year, but if you are out after coyotes primarily and not fox, then I'd up the caliber.

(Franklin County)

Be specific re what kind of competition, what kind of critter hunting (range, terrain, conditions. Maybe someone will try to convince you of something... or maybe not.

(Luzerne County)

I would use this rifle for woodchucks, coyotes, etc. My local gun club has competitions for sporting rifle. It would not be used for the high end competition. i'd like to use it for Appleseed also.

(Franklin County)

If you're shooting under 300 yards, and you don't reload, a .223. Factory ammo is plentiful and cheap. Light and slow bullet, so wind is a major factor in achieving accuracy.

If you're shooting 300 - 500 yards, a 22-250; flat trajectory, very fast, not as much sight adjustment required as a .223. Factory ammo is available but more expensive than the .223. Light but fast bullet - wind is a factor.

If you might want to move up to deer sized game, a .243. Factory ammo as pricey as 22-250, can be as accurate but not as fast/flat trajectory. About the same effective range as 22-250. Heaviest but slow bullet - wind is a lesser factor.

I wouldn't buy a 22 mag to shoot anything except house cats and smaller. Max effective range is probably 150 yards at best- but cheapest ammo.

I'm assuming you don't reload, or you wouldn't ask these questions. Suggest you go to Walmart and price ammunition... it can be expensive for competition, practice and 'plinking', although you won't get enough shots at critters to make it a major factor. Without practice, the liklihood of knocking off enough critters to make it fun is minimal - but practice can be fun (and expensive).

I would select a 22-250, but I reload. I'm guessing a .223 might be better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    Exactly. For top end competitions you will find calibers like 6mmPPC, 30 BR, 30 Aardvark, etc. All custom chambered rifles and handloaded ammo.
    This also depends on the type of competition. There's TONS of styles of competitions where 6 PPC, 30BR, BRX, etc. don't hold a candle to other calibers. There's also other competitions where you have caliber limitations, sometimes only .223 or .308. In tactical rifle competitions, you don't see many BR chamberings.

(Perry County)

For the Woodchucks and Coyotes you will need a rifle that is manually operated, not a semi. If you want excellent accuracy, and yuo probably will for the informal match shooting, I think a bolt gun might be best. Perhaps a Savage Model 10 or 12 in .223 would be Ideal?

For Appleseed I really think a .22 rifle is a better idea, unless money is no object. They can shoot over 400 rounds in the two days. For the difference in price you can literally buy a Marlin 795, extra mags, tech sites & sling, then you will have a perfect set-up for appleseeds. Also, one wants an auto for this training as the firing is on a rather tight time line and an auto is a big advantage. I managed to make rifleman with both a bolt gun and a semi, believe me when I say you want a semi. I like the 795 by Marlin and they can be purchased for <$150 with a $25 rebate fro Marlin. Another popular choice is the Ruger 10/22 (in fact this is by far the most popular rifle at the 4 I've attended). Appleseeds are a great idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast