Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cranberry Township preemption violation, no carry allowed?

I'm headed out to Cranberry today and wanted to show off my new Sog Aegis tanto to my brother. Anticipating the usual yuppyville battle cry, "Is that legal!? I don't think it is." I decided to be overly prepared by checking Cranberry's ordinances to insure that on the federal, state, and local level my new toy was in the clear. I haven't found any ordinances regarding knives, but apparently I've been risking a $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail every time I've gone there because I CC.

http://www.twp.cranberry.pa.us/Docum...w.aspx?DID=168

Chapter 6
    Conduct

Firearms
    §6-101. Use of Firearms Restricted.
    No person shall, except in necessary defense of person or property, use any rifle or handgun within the Township of Cranberry except as herein provided.
    (Ord. 51, 11/23/1970)

§6-102. Permitted Uses of Firearms.
    No person shall, except in necessary defense of person or property, fire or discharge any rifle or handgun within the Township of Cranberry except in hunting season or during regular hunting season on his or her own property or on property of another where he has obtained written permission of the owner and has such permission in his possession or except on an approved rifle range as provided for in §6-104.
    (Ord. 51, 11/23/1970; as amended by Ord. 81, 8/3/1974)

§6-103. What Constitutes Use of Firearms.
    Rifles or handguns shall be deemed to be used within the terms of this Part if they are carried by any person, regardless of whether or not the firearms have been, are being or are intended to be discharged. The mere act of carrying said firearms at any place other than an approved, rifle range shall be sufficient under this Part to include their use, except where a permit for carrying has been issued by the County of Butler. The transporting of said firearms by automobile or other conveyance through the Township, which said firearms are not loaded and are being transported, shall not be
    deemed to be a violation of this Part.
    (Ord. 51, 11/23/1970)

Am I reading this right, CC and OC of any firearm, rifle, or shotgun are effectively banned? Please, someone correct me. If I am reading this right, who do I inform about preemption?

Default Re: Cranberry Township preemption violation, no carry allowed?

Townships can legally ban the discharge of firearms, but not the legal carry of them.

Cranberry is in violation of state law by stating that just carrying a gun is illegal.

(Montgomery County)

That's how I'm reading it too. Good job uncovering that blatant violation. This should definitely be pursued.

(Venango County)

That sure is what it looks like to me..... Unless of course you have a "permit" issued by Butler County. Looks like this one needs to be fought.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster668 View Post
    That sure is what it looks like to me..... Unless of course you have a "permit" issued by Butler County. Looks like this one needs to be fought.
    The twp. clearly does not understand the law... because a non-prohibited person can OC there without this so-called permit.

(Armstrong County)

Didn't a whole bunch of us eat at a Chinese buffet last year OC'ing?
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Allegheny County)

my guess is they do not enforce the carrying portion of that ordinance but have never taken the time to actually revise it. (note the ordinance is 40 years old.)

kinda like pittsburgh never bothered to repeal the AWB that is still on the books...they just don't enforce it.

drives me nuts. these ordinances should be changed/removed rather than just not enforced. i've tried to get pittsburgh city council to officially repeal our illegal gun ordinances (AWB, no OCing, etc.), but they refuse. and, apparently, as long as they don't enforce them, there is nothing anyone can actually do about it (other than lobby to have them repealed...which gets one nowhere in pittsburgh--though it may have some effect in cranberry).

i carry (though concealed since that is how i carry) in cranberry twp often as my sister and BIL live there. personally, i would not worry about this ordinance at all.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I love that buffet

Yeah, prob just old and needs updated. Email Kim Stolffler
    activist@fyi.net
    and get in touch with Rep Metcalfe. Im sure you wont have much problem getting it revised.

(Butler County)

As a resident (and assuming that I am in town), I probably can head to next month's board meeting.

(Butler County)

Surprise that was adopted in 1970. That was before or just the beginning of the build up. At that time the majority of of the township was farmland, fields and woods.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast