Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Custom FN Mauser

Hey Guys I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. I just purchased a used custom FN 98 in a 300WSM and what appears to be a Hart Barrel and Break. I am trying to figure out what gunsmith might of put this gun together. The only stampings on the gun besides from the FN stampings and the caliber on the barrel are the initals R.G.M. on the action. Has anyone ever seen these marking before?
    Last edited by Motown; August 17th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: Custom FN Mauser

I know this is kinda pesky to have to do, but, pull the action and look on the underside of the barrel for info. Unless the smith has a really pretty machine to write his info on the barrel where it can be seen, they will hide their stampings
    under the barrel where the wood covers it.
    A lot of smiths don't stamp at all or "sign" anything.

(Berks County)

Bama Man thanks for the reply. I already had it apart the other night and there is no stamping at all on the bottom of the barrel and the only stamping are those initals R.G.M on the action which I realize could of been the first owners initials but I figured I would see if anyone has ever seen them before.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Motown View Post
    Hey Guys I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. I just purchased a used custom FN 98 in a 300WSM and what appears to be a Hart Barrel and Break. I am trying to figure out what gunsmith might of put this gun together. The only stampings on the gun besides from the FN stampings and the caliber on the barrel are the initals R.G.M. on the action. Has anyone ever seen these marking before?
    Back in the middle 1980's there was a gunsmith in central pa.His name was Ralph G Maggiola. Ralph also made investment cast ar 15 lower recievers.HIs initials [RGM]were on each reciever as part of the seriel number
    I sold many of his recievers when Bill Clinton introduced the assualt rifle ban.
    Hope this helps.........

(Berks County)

Gunshop25 thanks for the post that might just explain who it is. The RGM initals are not part of the serial # but are on the front of the action so that could possibly be him. Thanks again