Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sidesaddles?

(Franklin County)

Default Sidesaddles?

In the next two to four weeks, I plan to add a shotgun to my inventory (my first). I'll be traveling to an out of down dealer to pick it up.

I'd like to have a sidesaddle for this gun, and the dealer has *some* accessories in stock, but I'm wondering what things I should consider when making a choice on which sidesaddle to purchase. Depending on those factors, I may prefer to just order one online.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Sidesaddles?

Tac-Star side saddle, should be found anywhere from $20 to $30 in your local shop or gun show, any more than that and you're getting ripped off.

I love the thing, looks like it's very sturdy. I have it for my Mossberg 500. There is one problem, one of the screws that passes through the receiver and the mounting plate on the side saddle is NOT long enough as the bolt keeps coming off after a few rounds. I'm either going to have to get a longer screw, or get some kind of loc-tite to keep it in place. Otherwise the front half of the side saddle will swing off and catch your face if you aren't careful.

There was alot of time spent jamming excess plastic out of the molding on some of the parts, it was really frustrating. I would recommend this side saddle but it's likely not going to fit/function perfectly without some tooling around.

That's my quick review on the side saddle by tac star.

ETA: The directions that come with the tacstar side saddle are absolutely worthless. I googled the assembly directions to have a few of my questions answered. Over all wasn't hard to figure out, just a hassle because it doesn't come good to go out of the box.
    Last edited by jcabin; August 17th, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post

I'm either going to have to get a longer screw, or get some kind of loc-tite to keep it in place.
    Blue lock tite...Blue...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Blue lock tite...Blue...
    yeah, the only problem is I -think- you have to take that screw out to disassemble the receiver at some point. How hard is lock-tite to get off?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    yeah, the only problem is I -think- you have to take that screw out to disassemble the receiver at some point. How hard is lock-tite to get off?
    the blue lock tite is the non permanent one. a lot easier to get off than the red one

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    In the next two to four weeks, I plan to add a shotgun to my inventory (my first). I'll be traveling to an out of down dealer to pick it up.

I'd like to have a sidesaddle for this gun, and the dealer has *some* accessories in stock, but I'm wondering what things I should consider when making a choice on which sidesaddle to purchase. Depending on those factors, I may prefer to just order one online.
    I've got some ?s on where you are going on this build....

Given that you are looking for a side saddle, I'm ASSuming either a Remmy 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. Am I close?

Next question: Pistol Grip Only, "Standard" stock, or "Tactical" stock.

Pistol grip only or "Standard" and you are receiver mount only.

Some of the tactical stock systems offer stock or stock-adapter-mounted side saddles.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

If you get a top-folding stock (they were and are made for the 870 and the 500), you can put a shell holder on the stock arm. Watch "Terminator 2" and look at what Linda Hamilton has in the steel mill.

If you put a Sidesaddle on the left side of the receiver, there are several considerations. They make a reduced size unit that keeps the serial number visible when it's installed, but it only holds I think 4 shells. I'm not sure of the law on this, I don't think "covering" the serial number is remotely in the same class as "altering" or "defacing" it, but they sell the thing for a reason.

The standard unit interferes with the forearm on some models. Use the police forearm, it's smaller so it won't go back as far when you rack it.

You have to be careful when tightening the screws that pass through the receiver, if you torque them too much you can squeeze the receiver and bind the bolt.

Next time you're in town, swing by and I'll show you one mounted on an 870 and one on a 500.

Check my classified ads at the links below, I have some pics of shotgun forearms, a top folder and a sidefolder. There are lots of options.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Sidesaddles?

I use the Tac-Star model on my Mossberg 500. Got it at Dunham's for about $25, as I recall.

Sidesaddles have been around since at LEAST the early '90's - I put one on a Winchester 1300 ca.1993, so they're pretty much a proven commodity these days!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    . They make a reduced size unit that keeps the serial number visible when it's installed, but it only holds I think 4 shells. I'm not sure of the law on this, I don't think "covering" the serial number is remotely in the same class as "altering" or "defacing" it, but they sell the thing for a reason.
    Yeah...and I'm sure it's for those Neo-communist constitutionally exempt states such as New Jersey, Cali...etc.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    I've got some ?s on where you are going on this build....

Given that you are looking for a side saddle, I'm ASSuming either a Remmy 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. Am I close?

Next question: Pistol Grip Only, "Standard" stock, or "Tactical" stock.

Pistol grip only or "Standard" and you are receiver mount only.

Some of the tactical stock systems offer stock or stock-adapter-mounted side saddles.
    It's a Remington 870 Express Tactical. It will come with a standard stock, but I plan to put a Knoxx stock on it at some point, once my employment change gets taken care of.

If you put a Sidesaddle on the left side of the receiver, there are several considerations. They make a reduced size unit that keeps the serial number visible when it's installed, but it only holds I think 4 shells. I'm not sure of the law on this, I don't think "covering" the serial number is remotely in the same class as "altering" or "defacing" it, but they sell the thing for a reason.

The standard unit interferes with the forearm on some models. Use the police forearm, it's smaller so it won't go back as far when you rack it.
    I'm not concerned about the S/N issue. I don't like the idea of losing two rounds, but I'm also not keen on taking a brand new gun and modifying it with a dremel so it will operate with the sidesaddle installed. Someone else (not on this forum) commented that a police forearm is hard to come by, but I haven't even explored that claim much. I'd much rather change the forearm out as opposed to chopping the original. I'd like to be able to put this gun back to factory condition if I sell it at some point in the future.
    You have to be careful when tightening the screws that pass through the receiver, if you torque them too much you can squeeze the receiver and bind the bolt.
    Hadn't considered this. Thanks for mentioning it. Perhaps I should just consider a butt cuff for the time being.
    Next time you're in town, swing by and I'll show you one mounted on an 870 and one on a 500.
    I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm going to be up Allentown way some time over the Labor Day weekend.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast