Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Musser's Outdoors Ephrata, PA

I have always been satisfied with my visits there. Are there cheaper options?.........probably but: it's close, it's not wal-mart and he carries real black powder. Hoping a business "goes under" just because you don't like the prices seems a bit unreasonable.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Hoping a business "goes under" just because you don't like the prices seems a bit unreasonable.
    Out of the four somewhat local LGS that I've been to recently, they've had the worst prices by far. Their prices have always been on the high side. They're the closest LGS to me. That sounds like a good enough reason for me to wish they'd go under, so that maybe someone else can take over with somewhat reasonable prices.

Or, I guess I could just continue purchasing my ammo and accessories at Walmart or online retailers and drive to an LGS that's further away for reasonably priced firearms.

What does constitute a valid reason for hoping a business "goes under", since shitty prices doesn't qualify?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by fttfbass View Post
    Out of the four somewhat local LGS that I've been to recently, they've had the worst prices by far. Their prices have always been on the high side. They're the closest LGS to me. That sounds like a good enough reason for me to wish they'd go under, so that maybe someone else can take over with somewhat reasonable prices.

Or, I guess I could just continue purchasing my ammo and accessories at Walmart or online retailers and drive to an LGS that's further away for reasonably priced firearms.

What does constitute a valid reason for hoping a business "goes under", since shitty prices doesn't qualify?
    I'm not looking for a fight. I don't wish failure on any business just because they are not the lowest price. If they are currently sucessful, then apparently someone is buying at their prices. I also question how you can be sure that the failed business would be replaced by another LGS.

(Lancaster County)

I believe the reason why Walmart is able to sell ammo, or any product as cheaply as they do is because of the sheer volume of product that they buy from their suppliers. The more they buy, they cheaper they can get it for.

Smaller shops would have a tougher time getting good prices on ammo unless they're buying large quantities. So their selling price directly reflects the price of which they purchased it.

Personally, I don't begrudge any business selling any product for whatever price they want. If they want to sell it, that's fine, I don't need to buy it, and I can shop somewhere else. The market will decide to if that business can stay open or not.

To wish failure upon a business that is doing what they can to provide jobs in a community and sell a product that I believe most users of this forum enjoy I feel is kind of silly. The more LGS's that are in an area the better as it provides competition and decent selection in a small area.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

I did some transfers there with another PAFOA member a year or so ago and the transfer was cheap plus they gave us a discount for doing multiple guns. I was happy with the transfer prices.

I stopped in about three weeks ago and they had FN 5.7x28 for 39.99 a box, it was higher than it was a year ago but still much cheaper than online. If you can find it online it is about 60.00 a box

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    I'm not looking for a fight. I don't wish failure on any business just because they are not the lowest price. If they are currently sucessful, then apparently someone is buying at their prices. I also question how you can be sure that the failed business would be replaced by another LGS.
    I'm not looking for a fight either. So, please don't take it that way at all.

Wishing failure on them may be a bit harsh. Some people seem to be satisfied with their service and prices. After reading through this thread, some haven't been satisfied with their service. And I noticed I'm not the first one to complain about their current prices.

Here's a price comparison on 7.62x39 (all Tulammo except for the Wolf HP from Aimsurplus), which is what I've been in need of lately (it's a new caliber for me at a bad time):

Walmart-$5.17/box (I have managed to get 18 boxes in the past 2 weeks without going out of my way to find it)
    >>>Most online retailers, that have it in stock, would go here<<< (I got 5 boxes of Wolf HP for $5.77/each with a .50 cal ammo can. The cost of shipping didn't increase when I added the ammo to the .50 cal can that was already in my shopping cart.)
    Trop-$6.99/box (meh)
    Shyda-$7.99/box (huh?)
    Mussers-$8.99/box (WTF?)

If they would go under without being replaced by another LGS, then I guess things wouldn't change much for me. I'll still continue to avoid that building and take my money elsewhere.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I believe the reason why Walmart is able to sell ammo, or any product as cheaply as they do is because of the sheer volume of product that they buy from their suppliers. The more they buy, they cheaper they can get it for.

Smaller shops would have a tougher time getting good prices on ammo unless they're buying large quantities. So their selling price directly reflects the price of which they purchased it.

Personally, I don't begrudge any business selling any product for whatever price they want. If they want to sell it, that's fine, I don't need to buy it, and I can shop somewhere else. The market will decide to if that business can stay open or not.

To wish failure upon a business that is doing what they can to provide jobs in a community and sell a product that I believe most users of this forum enjoy I feel is kind of silly. The more LGS's that are in an area the better as it provides competition and decent selection in a small area.
    And then Streaker needs to step in and knock me down a notch.

I agree. They're a small store. Obviously, prices are going to be a bit higher because they can't buy huge quantities of items at a time. I understand that and supported them previously by spending my money there.

After seeing their current prices, my money will always go elsewhere. Mussers prices aren't even remotely competitive right now on anything that I've price checked.

If others are willing to pay much higher prices to support their local LGS, I can't fault them for that.

(Lancaster County)

And then Streaker needs to step in and knock me down a notch.

I agree. They're a small store. Obviously, prices are going to be a bit higher because they can't buy huge quantities of items at a time. I understand that and supported them previously by spending my money there.

After seeing their current prices, my money will always go elsewhere. Mussers prices aren't even remotely competitive right now.

If others are willing to pay much higher prices to support their local LGS, I can't fault them for that.
    I think your previous post provides a perfect example of what I was saying.

Walmart-$5.17/box
    Trop-$6.99/box (meh)
    Shyda-$7.99/box (huh?)
    Mussers-$8.99/box (WTF?)

Walmart == Huge purchasing power
    Trop == Large Purchasing power
    Shyda's == Medium Purchasing power
    Mussers == Small Purchasing power.

Without looking at their purchase orders and their accounting books there's no way to know what they're charging vs what they're buying for. I'd be willing to bet that their profit margin is very tight and they're only making a small amount over what they're buying it for.

That's economics 101. I buy where I can for the best price that I can, so I probably wouldn't buy ammo up there either. But I found their staff to be friendly and helpful the few times that I was in there, a huge improvement over when it was Trout Run. I take into account the whole picture when it comes to stores, not just prices.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think your previous post provides a perfect example of what I was saying.

[/B]

Walmart == Huge purchasing power
    Trop == Large Purchasing power
    Shyda's == Medium Purchasing power
    Mussers == Small Purchasing power.

Without looking at their purchase orders and their accounting books there's no way to know what they're charging vs what they're buying for. I'd be willing to bet that their profit margin is very tight and they're only making a small amount over what they're buying it for.

That's economics 101. I buy where I can for the best price that I can, so I probably wouldn't buy ammo up there either. But I found their staff to be friendly and helpful the few times that I was in there, a huge improvement over when it was Trout Run. I take into account the whole picture when it comes to stores, not just prices.
    I didn't think Mussers prices were all that bad before the panic buying BS. They were somewhat competitive and extremely local to me. Spending an extra $40-$50 for a pistol at my local LGS over a big chain store was worth it to support the local small business (after all it really is as simple as economics 101).

I didn't experience any of the trash talking by staff that other posters eluded to, unless I was the one that they talked trash on after I left.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight on their current prices. Let's just chalk this up to me being a penny pinching bastard.

(Lancaster County)

I didn't experience any of the trash talking by staff that other posters eluded to, unless I was the one that they talked trash on after I left.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight on their current prices. Let's just chalk this up to me being a penny pinching bastard.
    Salespeople are always going to trashtalk customers, every place that has a sales staff does it. The problem is, it should never be done on the sales floor in front of customers. I reprimanded several sales people over the years when I was a store manager for trash talking customers on the sales floor.

It's really no different than employees trash talking their boss, but that should always be done out of earshot of their boss. It's just a way of venting, and some customers can be very exasperating to deal with.

When I go into any store I look for basic salesman skills, do they greet you as you enter? Do they ask you if you need assistance without being a pest? Are they willing to answer questions without making it seem as though you're wasting their time? Failure to be a decent sales person will turn me off to a store more than prices will.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast