Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default desiccant packs, ultra cheap!

Hello everyone,
    I'm a newbie to this site. In fact this is my first post. I recently bought a few thousands rounds of ammo to store. I had been hoping that the price was going to come down. However, it seems that just the opposite is happening. So like many others, I have begun to stock up a few thousand rounds at a time. Almost as appaulling is the price of a few bags of desiccant to toss into the ammo can. I don't mind spending a buck or two but I would rather buy more ammo than blow money on desiccant. After a search on google, I was able to come up with a cheap solution. Went to the local craft shop and picked up a 1.5lb bag of silica gel for $12.00. At the same shop I found little sheer drawstring bags 15 for $3.00. Just like the kind you see at weddings with mints or whatever stuffed in them. just fill one up tie the drawstrings and presto one desiccant bag to toss in an ammo can. I'm sure that ths little trick is well known but figure that it never hurts to revisit an idea.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: desiccant packs, ultra cheap!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info. Great idea.

(Butler County)

I think I read somewhere that disposable hand warmers work.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a newbie to this site. In fact this is my first post. I recently bought a few thousands rounds of ammo to store. I had been hoping that the price was going to come down. However, it seems that just the opposite is happening. So like many others, I have begun to stock up a few thousand rounds at a time. Almost as appaulling is the price of a few bags of desiccant to toss into the ammo can. I don't mind spending a buck or two but I would rather buy more ammo than blow money on desiccant. After a search on google, I was able to come up with a cheap solution. Went to the local craft shop and picked up a 1.5lb bag of silica gel for $12.00. At the same shop I found little sheer drawstring bags 15 for $3.00. Just like the kind you see at weddings with mints or whatever stuffed in them. just fill one up tie the drawstrings and presto one desiccant bag to toss in an ammo can. I'm sure that ths little trick is well known but figure that it never hurts to revisit an idea.
    If you have access to a sewing machine, stitch across the top opening so you don't have to worry about a trail of dessicant whenever you move the bag.

(Washington County)

I wouldn't go sewing the bags just yet.

If you're using the silica gel stuff I've seen, then it is rechargable. You stick it in the microwave to remove the moisture from it that it removed from the air and then you can use it again. It has little peices in it that change color from red to blue to indicate the moisture content. My mother used that type for drying flowers. I don't know if it's the same type you found.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    I wouldn't go sewing the bags just yet.

If you're using the silica gel stuff I've seen, then it is rechargable. You stick it in the microwave to remove the moisture from it that it removed from the air and then you can use it again. It has little peices in it that change color from red to blue to indicate the moisture content. My mother used that type for drying flowers. I don't know if it's the same type you found.
    Yea, same stuff but it already had blue crystals, perhaps these turn red or some other color? I should probably check with some of the extra. As far as sewing, that is why I got the little bags with a drawstring. They can be reopened easily.