Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Is the RCBS Chargemaster durable/consistent

I'm currently charging with a Lee powder measure, which I've been very satisfied using for pistol powders, but not so much for rifle powder. I'm basically hand dispensing and measuring each load, which I don't mind doing as I'm working up a load, but when I want to crank out rounds, it's too inefficient. I see Natchez is selling the dispenser/scale combo for $280. I don't mind spending that on a sturdy system, but I've read some reviews at MidwayUSA that tell of electronics failures in the unit and/or keypad.

I searched these forums a bit and read a thread or two on these units, but was looking for any updated reviews. Have any fellow members been using this setup heavily for longer than a year without failure? Is the unit as consistant now as when you purchased it? If you did have a failure, what was your experience with their service center?

For now, I don't mind doing it by hand, but I would like to purchase an automated system. Thanks for sharing any experiences you have.

Take care,
    G.

Default Re: Is the RCBS Chargemaster durable/consistent

I don't own one, but my best friends that I reload with do, several of them. it's what I'll be personally buying when I get caught up on a few other things.

Pretty much everything that I've read, and my friends have experienced is that they are the best conventional automated powder scale. They are one of the most accurate, and the fastest. The nice part is there are several ways to make them more accurate and faster. There are directions for how to reprogram them to throw to a certain charge weight, before slowing down, and then trickling. With these types of features, you can program it to work perfectly with certain powders that you normally use, and decrease the time to drop the charge, but still get the accuracy. There's also some small modifications you can make, with pretty much household items that will also make them more accurate. My buddies and others also have found that if they're plugged into something like a power strip, or something that gives a consistent regulated voltage, helps them to be more accurate and not need rezeroing (or very little).

The reviews that I've heard are pretty much the same as a while back. I've heard that RCBS has been working on fixing the keypad issue, so that they're not shorting out. I will say that LOTS of guys on snipershide use and talk about the Chargemaster, whether it's the mods, reprogramming, and the keypad issue. From everything I've read, RCBS has been VERY GOOD about replacing the units that have faulty keypads, and not dragging their feet about it either. I've heard that even when the units are outside of warranty, or on their second or third owners, they have replaced them with no questions asked. So the support has been good for them. You might want to check snipershide to get more information. I also wanted to mention that 6mmBR did some reviews on several different conventional automated powder measures. They review the Lyman, RCBS Chargemaster and PACT powder measures. You can find those reviews here, they check how long to throw, how accurate, how sturdy, how easy to empty, etc; very good reviews. http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

See what you think after you read over everything and weigh it all out in your head. I don't really have a dog in this race, but in a way I do because I've already made up my own mind, lol. I hope that this helps, and just remember that these powder measures aren't a Prometheus or anything ;-).

Oh, and in case you or others don't know what a Prometheus is, here's what they are. http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html There's already a second generation (Prometheus II) that has come out, that throws even faster and just as accurate (or more). Don't get your hopes up though even if you have the money. There's quite a waiting list and I hear it's measured in years, lol.

(Delaware County)

can't comment on the chargemaster, but the ladies Dad has a rock chucker and it's at least 25+ years old with probably 100K reloaded on it..still doesn't miss a beat..not to mention that if you lose a part, rcbs still honors its warranty..we were missing a few drop tubes for the .223 casings and rcbs sent us out 2-3 for free.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

I have had one for about 6 month's now and it is the best thing since sliced bread. So far, very solid and spot on with measurement's, easy to set up and pick your charge. Haven't had any key pad issue's with it, infact haven't had any issue's with. I would recommend it.

(Lebanon County)

I have the charge master as of last year or a touch longer. I bought it with the idea it would dispense a charge while I was doing other things in the reloading process. My buddy/mentor for reloading has one and stated that it was an excellent investment so I took the chance.

I use it only for my rifle loads as I tried pistol powders in it one time and that was enough for me. Titegroup did not want to be dispense with any sort of speed or accuracy. I am absolutely sure I could make it work, but it was only a one time need for a special purpose. I have a 550B and use it in progressive mode for 99.9% of my pistol loads.

I have 2 buddies that come over weekly to reload at my place and I couldn't even begin to guess how many loads that RCBS dispenser has done for me. I can tell you it is A LOT. When I go to the range with one of my rifles that I am shooting for accuracy with, I typically take 200rds of loaded ammo. If it's load development w/ the chrony I am looking to take about 50 - 100 depending on the practice used or the purpose of the load dev. I am throwing this out there because for the past year that little dispenser has worked its ass off with need only to be certain it's level, re-calibrate each time it is turned on, reduce any wind/air movement in the area, and to ensure the scale is not moved during a charge being dispensed. This has been my practice when I use the scale and it has never given me anything by excellent service. I throw powder from Accurate 2520 to 5010 (or H50BMG) and about 15 other powders in between with absolutely no issues.

So in a nut shell here are some tips I have found to be useful

• Keep scale level
    • Keep it calibrated
    • Avoid air movement
    • For large charges (100gr to 200gr+) you can always assist the process by throwing a scoop into the pan early in the dispense process.
    • Try to have it not on the table that you have your press is mounted to as you can increase your output by not disrupting the dispense process with excessive movement

As far as the mods Tomcat made comment on, they are real from what I have gathered and there are some good articles out there on how to do them. I haven't yet, but now that I have yet another heavy charge cartridge it's going to pretty much be needed. There are mods from anything from using a straw to extend the dispensing tube to re-configuring the unit itself.

IMO: This is a must have product. However I have been tinkering with the idea of a very high end powder thrower to expedite the charge process for 50BMG and 338LM. The idea would be to throw the charge a grain or 2 light and use the chargemaster to trickle it off. I am unsure on this is going to be the way I go, as I want to see if I can tinker with the chargemaster to help expedite the charge process a touch

Anyways 5 star rating for certain. Total there are 4 of these units in our immediate shooting group and no one has had anything but excellent performance.

PS> Tomcat....I must spread rep around before giving it to you again? I haven't gave you rep in awhile.... grrr
    Last edited by Fr0sty; August 17th, 2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Edited to adjust timeframe of owning unit. Unsure if it was last year or the year before

(Columbia County)

I've had mine for under a year now... maybe about a year. I've lost count. I've also lost count as to how many thousands of loads I've dispensed with it. I have not had a single problem with it. It is quick and very accurate. With extruded powders it will sometimes dispense .1 to .2 grains over the amount (very rare) when the powder clumps up. But, when it does this, it tells you that you are over. I've made several trips with it to ranges and friends' houses over bumpy and curvy country roads so that it could be used there and all I do is re-calibrate and re-zero and it is ready to go. It is also very quick to 'boot up' when it is first turned on.

Bottom line: Get one. You won't be disappointed... and mine has been very durable.

If you do get one, make sure to close the powder drain valve after cleaning. I've unfortunately forgotten on more than one occasion.

(Beaver County)

I have a charge master also. I love it. Easily over 100k rounds of various calibers I've loaded with it. You won't be disappointed. Just learn and remember how to turn off the annoying beep after every full charge drop. Annoys the better half at 5 AM hehe
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I have a charge master also. I love it. Easily over 100k rounds of various calibers I've loaded with it. You won't be disappointed. Just learn and remember how to turn off the annoying beep after every full charge drop. Annoys the better half at 5 AM hehe
    Holy crap! Over 100k rounds loaded with the chargemaster? Wow. You don't use a progressive with that kind of volume?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Holy crap! Over 100k rounds loaded with the chargemaster? Wow. You don't use a progressive with that kind of volume?
    it's probably a few years old.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Beaver County)

Mines just over 2 years old. I shoot alot. I am also very anal retentive about the presision of my reloads. All my rounds for all my guns are near or match/benchrest quality. Plus keeping a few NFA toys happy means lots of ammo. I process about 5k rounds a month. Gives me something to do when I'm not at work.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast