Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Xd subcompact finish looks dull? (PICS)

Well i called Springfeild Armory and talked to 2 techs today about this and they told me the procudtion date is April,2009 so it has the Melonite in on the slide and with that tratment it should look "Satin" finish or kind of dull. But i am not sure..... I put it up to someones XD service .45 and that finish is almost glossy and shiny. Here is a pic or two, tell me what you think and if you have one if yours is like this....... Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Thank you SSgt.Tim Chambers......

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Xd subcompact finish looks dull? (PICS)

It looks dry. Notice by the take down lever and the slide stop that the shine is still there, that's because there is residual cleaner/protectant/oils there from when you clean your gun. You're just not getting it on the rest of the slide. Just wipe it down with a light coat of protectant and it will get its sheen back, just like when you took it out of the case for the first time.

Pick up one of these silicone gun clothes. Get your gun cleaned off, then wipe it down with one of those. It coats it with a light layer of protectant and gives the sheen back. You should do this relatively often to whatever guns you carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

So when i wipe it down with Remington oil and wipe it off some should stay but doesn't? I have never had a problem like this or maybe it is just the finish? I bought it used so i am not sure how it looked out of the box. The previous owner hardly shot it and it is pretty much brand new, i do know he carryed it though since the sights were worn out and i had to redo them

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeeper View Post
    So when i wipe it down with Remington oil and wipe it off some should stay but doesn't? I have never had a problem like this or maybe it is just the finish?
    From the pictures provided I'm not seeing anything abnormal. Just keep a light coat of protectant oil on the slide, it will help keep the gun protected from environmental wear, minor scratches, and rust. Or buy one of those silicone gun rags and wipe it down. The rag is saturated with a protectant that will do the things I listed above. I don't think the slide isn't keeping any oil on it, you're probably just cleaning it all off. If you clean too much of it off it will loose its sheen after it dries out fully.

Are you putting any oil on the exterior of the slide when you clean it?
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    From the pictures provided I'm not seeing anything abnormal. Just keep a light coat of protectant oil on the slide, it will help keep the gun protected from environmental wear, minor scratches, and rust. Or buy one of those silicone gun rags and wipe it down. The rag is saturated with a protectant that will do the things I listed above. I don't think the slide isn't keeping any oil on it, you're probably just cleaning it all off. If you clean too much of it off it will loose its sheen after it dries out fully.

Are you putting any oil on the exterior of the slide when you clean it?
    Yes i put rem oil on the slide and wipe it down and pretty much of completely or else it is greasy.... so maybe i am using to much, and i use the rem oil spray not my tubes of it. I also use a dry rag to wipe it down...

Im used to doing my rifles and putting them in the safe since i do not use them much... Maybe a dif process for the pistols?

(Cumberland County)

You actually want a light layer of oil on the gun. You don't want to wipe it totally clean. Now that doesn't mean the steel should appear wet, just slightly glossy. Don't be shy with the oil, just make sure you don't gunk up any moving parts too much. Also, a Hoppe's Silicone gun rag can be had for about 6 or 7 bucks at any sporting goods store, Dicks even has them. Pick one up and wipe the gun down everytime you handle it. Pretty much everything Jcabin said. Oil is your friend, and a silicone rag or two is a very good investment.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeeper View Post
    Yes i put rem oil on the slide and wipe it down and pretty much of completely or else it is greasy.... so maybe i am using to much, and i use the rem oil spray not my tubes of it. I also use a dry rag to wipe it down...

Im used to doing my rifles and putting them in the safe since i do not use them much... Maybe a dif process for the pistols?
    Well, there you go. My guess is that you are completely removing all the oil from the slide. That "greasy" feeling you're talking about is normal. Like I said, keep a real light coat on it, and yes it will be slightly "slick" to the touch. That means you know the oil is there, but it shouldn't be dripping wet or have a thick coating to it.

If you're having trouble using the spray, pick up one of those silicone gun rags and wipe it down with that after you're done cleaning it like you normally do, but don't wipe the oil off until it's bone dry.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, i will grab one tomorrow and try it, never used one before. I appriciate your help....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    You actually want a light layer of oil on the gun. You don't want to wipe it totally clean. Now that doesn't mean the steel should appear wet, just slightly glossy. Don't be shy with the oil, just make sure you don't gunk up any moving parts too much. Also, a Hoppe's Silicone gun rag can be had for about 6 or 7 bucks at any sporting goods store, Dicks even has them. Pick one up and wipe the gun down everytime you handle it. Pretty much everything Jcabin said. Oil is your friend, and a silicone rag or two is a very good investment.
    Thnaks, i will grab one and try it, and try not to leave it greasy but yet a light coating......

(Berks County)

Smile Re: Xd subcompact finish looks dull? (PICS)

Silicone cloth works wonders on mags and on the wood furniture on the rifles too. Been using it for years.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast