Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sig P226... jam-o-matic?

So I went to TargetMaster today and tested out the P226 for the first time today. I have a special place in my heart for Sigs, but with 50 rounds, I managed to jam this gun about 30 times with various FTF, FTE, and I could visibly see the rounds in the mag were at times flipping downward. The gun would also fail to lock open after the last round. Is this a bad Sig or a bad range gun, or a bad magazine?

(York County)

Default Re: Sig P226... jam-o-matic?

probably a combination of all the things you listed. It's a rental so I'm sure they don't do much but a quick cleaning now and then. were you using factory ammo? how was your grip? possible limp wristing? It's most likely just a beat up range gun. Sigs are known for being very reliable

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    probably a combination of all the things you listed. It's a rental so I'm sure they don't do much but a quick cleaning now and then. were you using factory ammo? how was your grip? possible limp wristing? It's most likely just a beat up range gun. Sigs are known for being very reliable
    I was using Remington ammo, my grip was fine, I don't limp wrist, but this Sig was the furthest it could be from being reliable. I hope it was just a dirty beaten up range gun and not a measure of Sig Sauer.

(Bucks County)

Don't use a range gun to evaluate the performance of a Sig. I managed to jam up an XD at the range I go to before (not that I am into that polymer thing).

-Zach

How many different magazines were you using? Sounds like you had a bad magazine or it was not seated correctly. this could cause some of your problems. As for slide not locking back this happens a lot if your not careful and thumb is resting on the release. I do this sometimes when shooting fast or push the gun to multiple targets.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like a bad magazine or magazine spring.

It's hard to know what that rental gun and mag have been through. Most range guns don't get the proper care and maintenance that they should.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Philadelphia County)

It is possible my thumb was on the slide lock, but it didn't happen every time I was empty. I only had the one mag provided with the gun.

(Philadelphia County)

I also noticed that the gun flung the spent casings straight upward, with the hot brass usually landing on my arm or falling between my two arms. Is this the normal way the P226 ejects spent casings?

(Bucks County)

As said above, sounds like a combination of things.

Could be a bad ejector too.

The SIG 226 is a great gun. I would not use this as an example of how a SIG 226 should function.

I'm not a big fan of the new 226's with the rails on them, I like the look of the old style 226, my 226 NSW is a wonderful gun.

Sigs and especially the 226 is noted as one of the most reliable 9mm pistols ever made. The range gun could have a number of problems from worn out slide spring to bad magazine or dirty slide. What can be stated is that is not typical of a Sig 226.

Once at a Gun range testing a GLOCK 17 using the Gun range reloads the G17 had the same problem FTF, FTE and stove piping every magazine. The 92sf test along side the G17 shot everything. That left a bad taste in our mouth about the Glopck 17. Later we found that the G17 with factory ammo would shoot with no malfunctions if the ammo were near factory spec.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast