Open to The Public
    Saturday 9am to 5pm
    Sunday 9am to 3pm
    Admission is $7.00 for anyone 12 and up
    Parking is Free

More info, http://www.TheGunShows.com

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Appalachian Promotions- PA Expo Center

I just commented on this upcoming August show back in the June show thread...I didn't think anything was being posted and just now noticed this was posted yesterday.

A few of us are planning on heading out to this one. It used to be really good until vendors started selling things like white socks and fishing wader boots and other non gun related items. Slowly the number of tables shrunk to about half of what they were supposed to potentially have.

I haven't been out to this one in about 2 years. I'm less than 10 minutes away...so we'll give it another chance and hope this is going to be half decent. It would be great to see 1,000+ tables.

(Lehigh County)

I went to the last one, it was disappointing, only half the hall was full, I did see Tophat there , that is where I buy my targets and supplies and I handled a few guns I wanted to see, but again it was half the previous size.

(Carbon County)

I'm going to give this show a shot Saturday afternoon. I'll be there with my little girl. She loves gun shows.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Adams County)

I will be set up there. This should be a good show with a lot more vendors then last time. I will have a Kel Tec RFB there and some complete uppers for $399.

(Monroe County)

It's always the way . . .

Counting the hours until we put my wife's relatives back on the plane for home in a couple of days. They've been here for the past five weeks and especially the spoiled brat 7-year old boy has gotten on our nerves. He's like a korean version of Dennis the Menace.

Anyway, we need to drive them over to JFK in NYC during late afternoon on Saturday to catch an International flight. Very glad that air fares from South Korea are quite expensive. They won't be back until I'm probably dead.

Perhaps I can make it down there on Sunday morning.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; August 21st, 2010 at 03:39 PM.

(York County)

Ok show, not too large but there were some interesting guns, including a SPAS-12. Several hex Mosin Nagants were still there when I left earlier. Nothing there to go out of the way to see, but decent if you are close by. Plus Cabela's is only 30 minutes away from the show.

(Northampton County)

Was there on Saturday with my girlfriend and daughter and was able to pick up a GSG-1911 for $300 out-the-door....pics of it are in the Gun Pictures forum.
    Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

(Monroe County)

Might suppose that if a person was into hunting or had an interest in black aluminum and plastic AR15 type items, then the gun show at the so-called Pennsylvania Expo Center in Allentown was okay.

Went down there first thing Saturday morning with some cash in pocket looking for something in the shorter carbine realm such as a Marlin 336 or even an SKS. Seemed that most of the private sellers wandering around had oddball hunting rifles in some truly ancient and obscure cartridges that to my uneducated ear sounded like 2.76 wombat and 3.67 poindexter. Other old timers were strolling around carrying rustic looking double barrel shotguns with “for sale” signs attached. Another person was holding a fine looking Winchester Model 1886 with octagon barrel having nice patina. Asked him if it were 45-70 caliber. (Had actually owned one like it many years ago in 45-70.) The man answered “no” and said that it was another nutty caliber like 43-30 or some other friggen numbers. Of course I nodded in the affirmative, as if I knew what he meant. The man’s price was $3,885.00. Might be a good deal for a handsome Winchester wall hanger but not in my house.

Then there was the pleasant, but strange gentleman over on the right side of the room standing in front of an almost empty vendor table. He was leaning on a three-foot tall, shiny silver cylindrical pointed object. The only item on that table was that stainless steel missile nose cone bearing a hand printed price tag (scotch tapped on) showing “$450 or B.O. or will trade for a gun.” Not kidding! The tentative seller seemed disappointed that there were no takers and was last seen carrying his missile nosecone headed for the front door.

The big room was stuffy and getting uncomfortably warm by the time I bailed out about 11:20 a.m. There looked to be just one ceiling fan turning for ventilation. That cement floor is also quite tough on persons with back injuries or mobility problems. People were seen here n’ there sitting on folding chairs resting. Talked with a couple of those seated and they all seemed to share my own problem of ruptured disks and other spinal problems. The building is a former warehouse style home supply store and there is no accommodation for walking comfort.

There was a book seller there that walked away when I approached his table. When asked a question about a specific Brown Bess musket book, the vendor looked over and then ignored me while strolling back to a cohort seated behind the table. Perhaps I look like a poverty stricken bum? Told my wife that she’s needs to dress me better.

Received similar rude treatment from an antique firearms and militaria dealer there. He had an assortment of stuff surrounded by, "Do Not Touch" signs. This included some Indian Wars cavalry doo-dads, a yellow boy Winchester carbine, a civilian non-military Sharps short rifle along with a couple of Civil War era model 1858 Remington pistols and two Peacemaker Colt six guns. There also was an assortment of pennants and other nazi crap. Remember back in the 1960s dealing almost full time with mostly German WW2 militaria items.

Made a comment to the guy that I had never seen an actual non-ground Ernst Rohm SA dagger before. Have owned a couple of ground versions years ago, I understand the subject matter. There was an SA dagger within a sheath along with photo of an engraved blade below inside the case. Didn’t see an actual item as described. Never did find out the story as the guy turned his back on me in mid sentence and returned to screwing around with a laptop computer. I just write off that behavior to another self important gun show dealer idiot.

Will say one thing positive about the event. Unlike most other gun shows, the aisles there are super wide and a person is not crowded, There are no human traffic jams. Also . . . one dealer did have a sizable selection of Russki Mosin-Nagant rifles for $100.00 each . . . take your pick.

Though I brought along a dozen or so Benjamin Franklin hundreds in the wallet, nothing at all was purchased. Summing up . . . I don’t think I’ll go back there again.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; August 21st, 2010 at 03:37 PM.

(Pike County)

im coming from NJ and looking for some AR furniture. Am I wasting my time? the last post seems to turn me off. approx 1.5 hr ride for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast