Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Exclamation Thinking About a DPMS LR-308 AP4...in NY

I have several questions, though.

First of all, I'd love to hear some comments on what people think about the DPMS LR-308 AP4. Reliable? Acceptable as a carbine or ridiculous?

I've heard mention of a RRA AR-10 copy which can use FAL mags which are much cheaper, would that be a suitable option, and do they have a 16" version of it?

Lastly, I'm wondering about how to make this NY legal. The NY laws require that any rifle with a detachable mag cannot have the following at the same time: a collapsible stock, a flash hider, and a pistol grip. You can have one, but not two. I live in both PA and NY, so this is what I'm thinking:

1) Buy a fixed stock, so when I go to NY I can just attach the fixed stock and leave the collapsible stock in PA.
    2) Have the flash hider permanently attached (which is permissible in NY). While I'd hate to do anything permanent, there isn't much of an option here, if I want the pistol grip, and I do. How much would it cost to have this permanently attached by a gun smith?

Thanks for all thoughts and comments

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Thinking About a DPMS LR-308 AP4...in NY

No one wants to talk about this gun with me ? I'm pretty excited about it, talk to meee.

I have owned three DPMS LR308 and can say they are a great bang for the buck.

My latest rifle came from a trade from someone in NY. Talk about some crazy gun laws in NY.

If you want an adjustable stock, you will need to purchase a carbine buffer and spring for the DPMS. You cannot use the standard DPMS 308 buffer and spring if you want to use an AR15 stock.

Keep in mind that DPMS did a bone headed move and raised their rail height on their new rifles. What that means is that if you want to use an aftermarket handguard that it won't be the proper height.

(Cumberland County)

GET IT!! I love my AP4...great size and plenty of stomp.
    I'll let the legal decisions up to you. On a side note, Cabelas is having a sale 8 19-25...they have the "Oracle" on sale for 999.99. Similar rifle for a lil bit cheaper if your interested just passin on the info. Any questions on the ap let me know... I'll answer what i can.
    Yes its reliable, yes its accurate, yes it kick ass, no i wouldnt want to be on the recieving end. Hard do argue with 19/20rnds of 308!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post

If you want an adjustable stock, you will need to purchase a carbine buffer and spring for the DPMS. You cannot use the standard DPMS 308 buffer and spring if you want to use an AR15 stock.
    Doesn't the LR-308 AP4 come with an adjustable stock? I thought it did.

Assuming that it does, how much would a fixed stock cost me, and would I be able to change them out easily?

Keep in mind that DPMS did a bone headed move and raised their rail height on their new rifles. What that means is that if you want to use an aftermarket handguard that it won't be the proper height.
    What if I wanted to put rails on it, and if that's possible, what rails would be good? (Sorry for my ignorance here, my previous two guns were the Mini 14 and an AK 47, so I have no experience at all with rails for the AR platforms.

Also, do either of you know how much it would cost to have a gunsmith attach the flash hider permanently, or does it already come permanently attached?

(Monroe County)

Jackdaniels when you say "new York" Do you mean new york city? Because i lived in New York up to October 2006 and i had all the other stuff you mentioned, theyre just not legal in New york city, JUst go accross the border into long island and all the gunshops there have anything you want , perfectly legal there. Theyre just not legal in Bronx, Richmond, Kings, Queens and New York counties.

Anything DPMS makes is good quality, personaly i do not like the company but yes they make good stuff, and theyre not just an assembler of firearms they do make certain things.

Nyman

(Bucks County)

I mean the state, and Long Island is where I live. With all respect, are you sure about that? Everything I've read has indicated the opposite of what you said. As I understand it, the State of New York still has the provisions of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban in effect.

(Monroe County)

Stop reading and go out to the stores and see for yourself, go a regular gunstore not to Dick's in Roosevelt field mall, start off with my Friend's store in Garden city park T&T Tactical , they sell all the Black Guns , they are not a hunting oriented shop though they do sell everything, ask for the Manager Stan.

If you are further out East go to Hunter Sports in Massapequa, the owner is very nice, he also just built a new range in the forest out in the long island pine barrens close to Calverton., They sell all the Black Guns you will ever need.

Stay out of the 5 boroughs of NYC and you'll be alright.
    In NYC all firearms have to registered and you need a license even for long guns, the only "assault rifle" NYC allow is the Ruger Mini14, about 7 years ago they stop registering even SKS's.

Nyman

(Washington County)

mrnyman, you're giving some bad adive. All of NY state is subject to ridiculous laws.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

Reference Page 4, under the Assault Weapons blue heading. There is no distinction between NYS and NYC. This can be confirmed in other sources. Just try getting a post-ban 30 round mag shipped to a location, anywhere, in NY from a reputable dealer.

Regardless of what is sold at stores, and what I have personally seen sold at the Syracuse gun show, you still have a lot of prohibited items in NY state. It isn't worth the risk of getting spotted by someone who knows what you're up to at the range and feels like ratting on you. The range I frequent in Rochester had a mini lecture on this when you joined the club. Don't go there with "assault weapons" because a lot of off duty police and even some ATF agents frequent the club. It's BS, I know. I would bet 1 out of 3 NY state firearm owners are breaking one of NY's gun laws some how, with the majority not knowing.

Also, according to ATF standards, the muzzle brake is supposed to be pinned AND welded, with specifications to the welding standard. I think silver solder is supposed to be used. Ridiculous.

I can't wait until I don't have to spend half the year in NY ever again.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

lol, I'm a college student as well.

I've talked to some more people from Long Island who have all confirmed my thoughts regarding the gun laws. I also called the store you were talking about mrnyman, and they confirmed that you cannot have a flash suppressor or collapsible stock. Please be careful with the advice.
    Last edited by JohnDaniels2006; August 18th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast