Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default So I just ordered...

...a black Bushmaster ACR Enhanced. It will be in on Friday. However, because there's no way in hell I can pay for it until next week, I'll have to be patient. ::Sigh:: My girlfriend is gonna kill me but that's alright. My only complaint is that I'm not thrilled about the BUIS, just your run of the mill Magpul MBUS. I know it was originally a Magpul designed weapon so it keeps with the theme, but I figured for the price of the weapon it deserves better back ups. I will probably end up getting Troy HK style sights, and an Eotech 516 sometime down the line.

Now here's the part that's gonna get me flamed...

It came down to the ACR and the SCAR. I'm a big FN fan, having purchased the Five Seven and PS90, but I'm a total whore for Bushmaster. I currently have three, and they all run awesome despite my constant abuse. I have owned many ARs over the years and found I'm not much of a snob on the subject matter. The ARs I used to own from Colt, Armalite, and DPMS all ran well and pretty much gave me similar results (depending on configuration, of course). I just wouldn't buy a real cheap one, probably no CAI or Del-Ton... but that's about it, so Bushmaster is kinda my go to AR since I find them so be of pretty good quality and of reasonable pricing. But I digress...

I opted against the SCAR for a couple reasons. My old roommate and good friend (cmr076) just got one, and so did another friend as well as his father. So there's already 3 SCARs within my group of shooting buddies, meaning I kinda have it accessible if I really wanna shoot one. I was impressed with the one pin break down on them as well, but I have a couple major gripes with it. The SCAR overheats like a mofo, I'm talkin after 30-60 rounds you don't wanna touch the handguard unless you have a vertical grip or at least good rail covers. I also noticed that the stock iron sites are a bit finicky, and from factory they sit pretty high up and require a good bit of adjusting before you get them dialed in. Today we couldn't get the EOtech dialed in because the sight was bottomed out and the rifle was still shooting lower. This is perhaps because the 516 model has a raised base(7mm higher than normal) on top of an already high mounting position and since we were indoor the target was pretty close. My final reason was that after having 3 buddies with one, I just had to be different. I'm totally that guy. Goin' against the grain... plus the whole Bushmaster whore thing.

Sorry for the book but I hope that was informative for people considering one of these. Now flame as necessary.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: So I just ordered...

Why would anyone flame you? It's your money, you are free to buy whatever you want...

Personally, I want to get a SCAR or ACR in the near future. That being said, on the ACR, I haven't heard enough reviews, or even shot one yet to make the decision. So be sure to give feedback on how you like it!
    III%

(Bucks County)

i've seen and handled both the ACR and SCAR and i'll go with the SCAR when I have enough money to buy one. the SCAR 17s in 308 are now hitting stores so i may have to wait another year until the prices settle down so i won't have to pay a premium to have one.

(Montgomery County)

There's a lot of SCAR fanboys round these parts, I've already caught some flak from my friends for going ACR, I figured people wouldn't care for my gripes about the SCAR, although I was trying to be objective. If I get a SCAR in the future, I'd def rather have the .308 model, although I'm not thrilled about paying $80 a mag for it, because I like to keep a healthy stash of those around.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by JB19Kilo View Post
    There's a lot of SCAR fanboys round these parts, I've already caught some flak from my friends for going ACR, I figured people wouldn't care for my gripes about the SCAR, although I was trying to be objective. If I get a SCAR in the future, I'd def rather have the .308 model, although I'm not thrilled about paying $80 a mag for it, because I like to keep a healthy stash of those around.
    I think the main problem, is that the ACR has yet to be proven. With the amount of hype it received prior to release, and the price tag it had for an unproven gun, people became very turned off initially. I believe it's at the point where the ACR needs to be proven by customers, and through durability, reliability, and quality.

The SCAR on the other hand, has proven itself, and lives up to expectations.

Like I said, be sure to let us know how it works for you, and any reviews you have of it when you can. If it truly is a weapon to be praised, people need to know it, so it's important to get the word out...
    III%

(Montgomery County)

Well nike I agree, I kinda took a shot in the dark with this one. I myself don't know as much about the ACR as I do about the SCAR. It is a lot to pay for a weapon I don't know about in terms of long term reliability. I suppose my logic is that I use bushmaster, and it's always been good. And I use Magpul products, and they always see of good quality. I did have the chance to handle a non-enhanced ACR and I really liked how it felt, I just didnt like the lack of a real rail system (although yes you can buy rails to attach) and I didn't care much for the stock, but the enhanced has a UBR if I recall correctly.

(Schuylkill County)

If I had the money right now, I'd certainly give it a shot as well. (I have a Bushmaster AR too)
    III%

(Allegheny County)

I would LOVE an ACR if it came without the M203 notch and instead a normal barrel profile, 1/7 twist, cold hammer forged, and was reliable.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

I wasn't aware of any major reliability issues with the ACR platform. I could see how some people don't like the 1 in 9 twist but that's actually what I normally use. As for the M203 notch, as far as I've seen all the new ones are rail mounted(as my username implies I was a soldier). But I suppose it could be more of an asthetic thing. I have entertained the idea of getting a spikes tactical 37mm but even with the adapters ammo for it is. Kinda scarce. Seems more tacticool than practical so I opted against it.

(Allegheny County)

I dont want the M203 notch because it makes no sense to have a barrel get thinner and then expand back out. This is why I use a Noveske N4 light barrel.

On 1/9, I like to have the greatest potential. That being said, I am not very likely to every want to shoot a 45gr bullet, and most likely to use a 75gr bullet. The longer bullets need the 1/7.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast