Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help!

(Berks County)

Default Need Help!

For the retlatively short time that I have owned guns, my better half and I have a S&W J frame 38, a Firestorm 32, a SA XDm 9; and a SAXD 9 SC. My wife loves the wheel gun, I love the two 9s and got the 32 trying to convince the wife she should go to a pistol. For whatever reason, I am now curious about the 40 and 45 caliber handguns. Not sure if it's a temporary lapse in judgement or a good idea. I've heard the story if it doesn't start with a 4 you're undergunned. I'm concerned about recoil. Some say the 40 kicks more than the 45 and others say no the 45 is more kick. One said the 40 is kinda like a mix between a 9 and a 45. The speed of a 9 with mass closer to 45. I've checked the ammo info that Doc posted and just can't seem to make a case for the 40 or 45. For that matter I can't seem to make a case to not stick with the 9's. I should add that the primary purpose of the gun will be to carry for self defense. I would like some factual information. Opinions are welcome, but facts have more credence.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Need Help!

Your biggest problem with expanding your caliber list is ammo, especially if you don't reload. .45 isn't cheap, .40 isn't as cheap as 9mm. Recoil all depends on the gun itself. A big steel framed .45 (say, a 1911) will tame recoil much more than a little Glock 36, or something along those lines. Same with .40. It is a snappier round because it's loaded to higher pressure. Big, heavy gun = Less recoil, doesn't matter what the caliber.
    Last edited by rwb1500; August 15th, 2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Because I have the grammer of a 4 year old. A drunk 4 year old.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    You're biggest problem with expanding your caliber list is ammo, especially if you don't reload. .45 isn't cheap, .40 isn't as cheap as 9mm. Recoil all depends on the gun itself. A big steel framed .45 (say, a 1911) will tame recoil much more than a little Glock 36, or something along those lines. Same with .40. It is a snappier round because it's loaded to higher pressure. Big, heavy gun = Less recoil, not matter what the caliber.
    a+1 very right IMO, I'd prefer a 40s&w over a .45 acp because is hard to find .45's sometimes and they are expensive.
    You can find 40s&w at walmart any day of the week.

Best round for your money: 9mm

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post
    For the retlatively short time that I have owned guns, my better half and I have a S&W J frame 38, a Firestorm 32, a SA XDm 9; and a SAXD 9 SC. My wife loves the wheel gun, I love the two 9s and got the 32 trying to convince the wife she should go to a pistol. For whatever reason, I am now curious about the 40 and 45 caliber handguns. Not sure if it's a temporary lapse in judgement or a good idea. I've heard the story if it doesn't start with a 4 you're undergunned. I'm concerned about recoil. Some say the 40 kicks more than the 45 and others say no the 45 is more kick. One said the 40 is kinda like a mix between a 9 and a 45. The speed of a 9 with mass closer to 45. I've checked the ammo info that Doc posted and just can't seem to make a case for the 40 or 45. For that matter I can't seem to make a case to not stick with the 9's. I should add that the primary purpose of the gun will be to carry for self defense. I would like some factual information. Opinions are welcome, but facts have more credence.
    Here is my input, call it opinion based on facts:
    1) 9mm is adequate with quality ammo for a defense caliber. (as long as the JHP expands as advertised/designed)
    2) .45 ACP and .40 S&W have more recoil, cost more to shoot often
    3) All 3 of the above calibers pass the FBI standard 12" penetration test with similar terminal effects
    4) A 9mm may or may not expand but, a .45 will never shrink....

My advice, if you "WANT" a new gun in a new caliber, get it. Don't think because you have a .38 or 9mm that you "NEED" to get a bigger caliber. I have multiple guns for carry and HD. I would not feel out gunned with anything you have already.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Berks County)

I really appreciate the input so far. Would love to hear more. Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Here is my input, call it opinion based on facts:
    1) 9mm is adequate with quality ammo for a defense caliber. (as long as the JHP expands as advertised/designed)
    2) .45 ACP and .40 S&W have more recoil, cost more to shoot often
    3) All 3 of the above calibers pass the FBI standard 12" penetration test with similar terminal effects
    4) A 9mm may or may not expand but, a .45 will never shrink....

My advice, if you "WANT" a new gun in a new caliber, get it. Don't think because you have a .38 or 9mm that you "NEED" to get a bigger caliber. I have multiple guns for carry and HD. I would not feel out gunned with anything you have already.
    +1

Any handgun caliber is not ideal for self defense. The fact is, if i knew for a fact I was going to come accross an axe swinging mass murderer in the woods, I would carry a 10 gauge shotgun with bear slugs.

Now, since I do not know what I may come accross and since I understand the odds of me even needing to use a gun in self defense are very small, I carry a pistol.

I choose the .40 S&W. It works for me. I am comfortable knowing I have 14 rounds of 180 grain JHP with me ready to rock should the shit hit the fan.

Whatever your comfotable with is what will work for you. I would not feel under gunned with a 9mm. At the same time, I would not feel confident with .45.

(Bucks County)

I don't think it matters what caliber you choose between 9/40/45 as long as you are willing and able to practice with it to become proficient, and most importantly, have it on you or near you when you need it.

It sounds like in your case, you already have the guns you like. Since you asked for facts:

A .22 pistol that you are confident and proficient in and that you carry is better than the custom 1911 that sits in your safe that you shoot once a month.

If you look at ballistic tests the 9mm expands to almost the same diameter of the .45ACP, the difference being the weight of the projectile. If you are carrying for self defense it comes down to what you are more comfortable shooting proficiently, as anyone will tell you it's shot placement that counts. I personally could care less about ballistic testing because it's all controlled environment when the fact is that a SD situation is anything but controlled. That being said if you can't shoot a .45ACP to save your ass(all pun intended) it's useless if you can't hit anything, but if you can shoot the ass out of a gnat at 100 yards with the 9mm that is a better choice. Since you are new to firearms you are going to read a lot of things about caliber and which is the best one; don't believe any of it find out what you like the best. Your wife likes the .38; great gun and caliber I carry a S&W 442 with 135gr +p Speer GDHP and I never feel under gunned with it cause I can hit a 5" steel plate @25yds with 5 out of 5 shots; not that I'm trying to brag but I shoot it better than I shoot my XD9sc or my XD40 4" and I just traded my 1911 for a HK USP 40 but I love my J-frame and always keep it handy so if she likes the .38 let her stick with it cause that's what she is comfortable with. Women are not as strong as us so she may not be comfortable with operating the slide of an auto or she may just like the simplicity of the revolver. Keep this in mind when you think about finding a new caliber especially if it's for SD; shoot the largest caliber that you are comfortable shooting; a bazooka is a 4' piece of crap if you can't hit the target with it. My girlfriend shoot the Kel Tec P32 cause she is recoil sensitive and won't even shoot the .38 and most 9mm guns are too big for her to conceal; and at first I was not all that pleased with the little .32 but as I stated it's shot placement and she is pretty good with it, she'll hit a 4" group @7yds so what more can I ask for. Good luck and practice,practice,practice,practice.

To some people, you are under gunned if you don't have a .50 or 500. Shoot what feels good. You should work up to a larger cal. just to see what you can handle. At one time, all I wanted was a 1911 .45. Then I switched to a .357. Now, for summer carry, I have a Ruger LCR and use .38 +P's or a Bursa .380 because I can hide them better. For a walk in the woods, I like a .40 S&W but will also carry a .32 Mag, .45 or .357. It's what you can use and what feels good.

I have 38 Spl, 9mm, .40 & .45 handguns. I don't feel particularly under-gunned when carrying the 9mm. In fact, since I'm such a poor shot, maybe the increased capacity of the 9mm is a good idea.

The recoil of the .40 is snappier than the .45. The recoil of the .45, (In my guns, at least) is more of a push. Either is manageable for either sex. Ammo for them is a bit pricier & sometimes harder to find than the 9mm.

I've been reloading for over 30 years. If I was starting out & didn't reload, I'd probably pick one cal & stock up on practice & SD ammo for it. That seems to be your case & 9mm isn't a bad choice at all.

On-the-other-hand, if you're like me, maybe you really "need" a new gun. It's kinda' like therapy. If that's the case, go for it.
    Last edited by IronButt; August 16th, 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast