Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PT1911 safety finally broke

After two years and about a thousand rounds out of my Taurus 1911 and specifically keeping an eye on the ambi safety for breakage.......the damn thing finally fell apart. (Of course the most inconvenient time.)

The safety was still functional as a standard, left side safety. The right side fell right off and luckily into my hand as I clicked it up and prepared to holster. After making sure the gun was functional and safe, I continued to shoot.

Later on I put the safety back together and it functioned fine, but I was able to wiggle it back out of the gun pretty easily which tells me that it will fall out again for sure.

Should I just fix it and keep the factory safety in it or get a better after market safety? What is a good aftermarket safety?

Also, I thought of this - I've always owned and shot 1911's with the standard safety. Being left handed I wanted to try an ambi safety and after buying the PT, I realized there are pros and cons with the ambi but I still like it better than the standard. The thought crossed my mind that why don't I just put a safety on the right side only - not ambi but a reversed standard, kind of like a dedicated left handed safety. Is that possible on a 1911?
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Centre County)

Default Re: PT1911 safety finally broke

Quote Originally Posted by iamhistory View Post
    Also, I thought of this - I've always owned and shot 1911's with the standard safety. Being left handed I wanted to try an ambi safety and after buying the PT, I realized there are pros and cons with the ambi but I still like it better than the standard. The thought crossed my mind that why don't I just put a safety on the right side only - not ambi but a reversed standard, kind of like a dedicated left handed safety. Is that possible on a 1911?
    This wouldn't be possible unless you had the whole gun modified because of the way the internal parts go together. If you notice where the right side safety goes through the frame it is just a round hole. The left side of the frame is machined completely different to accept the safety mechanism. The complete insides would have to be modified in many ways and you'd probably have to modify the slide stop lever, etc. also.

Now it is possible that someone out there makes a true left handed 1911, but I've never heard of one (that doesn't mean that they don't exist, just that I've never seen one advertised). No one made a true lefty AR until Stag did and they apparently sell pretty good.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

thanks Xring. i realized that when i read your post. wasn't paying attention enough i guess.

anybody use the Wilson Bulletproof safety? i heard they are top notch.

(Beaver County)

I replaced my factory safety with a Fusion ambi safety. I haven't had any issues since.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-Colt-AMBI-T...efaultDomain_0

(Lawrence County)

If it's just a tongue and fork design you can just tighten up the fork some and it will quit working out.

If you go aftermarket it would be Wilson Combat or Ed Brown in my book. Either will need fitted. Both have a tab that fits under the right grip that keeps them from working out.

LycanPMforquestionsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Luzerne County)

Most aftermarket safeties have a tongue on them that goes under the right grip.I had a friend that was left handed,and thought like you.I built him a left hand only Swenson Safety 20 years ago..Coincidentally,he died a while ago,I ended up with his series 70 Gold Cup,which just happened to have that safety on it..And I immediately replaced it with a RHO Wilson..Not sure if it will function properly in your gun though,really should be looked at by somebody who knows what they're doing..Where do you live? I'd sell it cheap..

(Venango County)

Yea, not a fan of the ambi safety at all! IMHO the whole tongue and fork design is a half ass after thought at best. Just more parts to break.... I put an extended STI left side only safety (std RH shooter) on my PT1911 and it's one of the best safety actions on a 1911 that I have ever felt. BTW, if you are not a mechanical person or you don't know anything about "gun smithing" it would be best to have a professional do this replacement since it sometimes it requires a bit of fitting.

Lycan......it is indeed a tongue/fork type design. I put it back together and it works fine, but with a little tugging it does end up coming out again. How do you tighten it up?

The left handed shooter safety is intriguing. It doesn't seem to me that would be that hard of a design to make up. I am no engineer or machinist and I have several designs that seem viable in my head just thinking my current safety problem through. It ain't rocket science that's for sure.

Thanks for he suggestions guys. I have checked out the fusion, wilson and a few others. I'm hoping to not drop $50 to put a safety in. But it is what it is.

(Lawrence County)

You carefully pinch the fork to tighten it up. Mine are typically tight enough that I need to tap them in with a wooden dowel and use a small crewdriver to pry them out.

Go too hard, however, and you can snap the fork.....then it's time to buy a new one.

Lycanwhichisn'tthathardtofitthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

The next time it comes out just put a little loctite between the tongue and fork, that is what Taurus will do anyway if you send it back to them.

A lot of these after market parts on the market are patented, if Taurus were to use their designs they would be paying millions of dollars of their profits in royalties because they make thousands of 1911's, the small makers making $1500 1911's dont mind using the patented parts they just pass the cost onto you.
    Wilson , King's , C&L , Ed Brown etc. all hold patents on 1911 parts.
    That is why your Taurus is only cost $600, they make every part of it, i believe the only thing they are paying the license on making is the Novak and Heinie sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast