Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Luzerne County)

Default My latest project

A LONG time ago,when I was just a little gunsmith,I was shooting a LOT of PPC with a funny gun.Well,tons of .38s and wearing out my Lou Chamillo Smith 64 was getting old,for practice,I decided that a POC .22 Colt Police Positive I had would make a nice foobie practice gun.I took off the barrel,cut it straight in the lathe,and put a heavy barrel shroud over it I made from aluminum.I was gonna make a fake copy Aristo rib for it,so I put the gun in the mill,and started cutting the whole top flat..Half way through the first cut..THE VISE BROKE!!!! Cutter buzzed right through the cylinder,barrel,damaged the frame..Well,I didn't appreciate that,so I proceded to pretty much use what was left as a hammer..LOL!! It's registered,so,in a drawer it sat for 30 years.Fast forward to now..My buddy and I are shooting in his back yard.He lives in a development,but his back yard is in the woods.We can shoot there,but only pellet guns,and .22's with CB caps.. Well,I dug out the old derelict mess,headed to Empire gunshop in Danville,bought a nice Marlin/Glenfield Microgroove barrel that I cut down,tapered,chambered and threaded,straightened out the damage I did to the old girl,removed the DA parts from the action,and made a nice set of wood for it from an old Marlin stock I had laying around from scratch.I put the chamber right in the barrel,ala Ruger Hawkeye,and I built a breach block from steel.The block has a .45 auto firing pin and spring I shortened to fit the block,and it's mounted to the old crane,opens just like any Colt revolver..I added a custom nose to the hammer to strike the firing pin.Now the cool surprise..Since I'm shooting CB caps out of it,it's chambered for .22 short!! I figure if I ever really want to change it,it's a simple matter to bang it out to .22 LR or Mag later.It shoots FANTASTIC!! I shot it before I painted it,a 10 shot group at 25 yards was smaller than an aspirin!! It's not done,it had a scope on it,it hadda go,just too cool not to have a set of target iron sights.The front is from the new barrel,it's just stuck on there for the pic,gotta make the rear from an old Millet I screwed up years ago,fished it outa the garbage,LOL!! It's painted with caliper paint.The stocks need more work,don't know why,but the forend is lighter than the grips,same wood from the same stock,same stain,same everything,but they came out different colors..Who knows..I'm gonna finish them up real nice,though..............Wait till ya see NEXT weeks project..[Heh heh...]

Last edited by ROBOWOP; August 15th, 2010 at 12:15 AM.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: My latest project

WOW, you sure have alot of ingenuity

(Luzerne County)

So when doo I get to try it out?

We gotta find a range.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

That is fantastic. If you ever want to let it go, add my name to the looooooonnnnnnnggggggg list.

(Perry County)

thats a work of art,nice job