Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Anyone here into hand-to-hand training?

I've always been a fan of various martial arts, anyone else? When your rifle is out of ammunition, pistol is gone, and trusty blade at the bottom of a river; knowing how to break elbows and snap tendons is certainly useful. Does/has anyone here train in any type of fighting art? I used to, stopped for a while, and now I am starting to get back into it. Your thoughts?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

Default Re: Anyone here into hand-to-hand training?

I have extensive training in hand to hand combat. As a young boy I studied Tae Kwon Do for 2 years. Then in my teens I studied Jeet Kune Do for rougly 2 years as well. When I got to college I started taking Krav Maga (also for 2 years), it was much closer to my personal style of fighting. I will say that it did feel a bit lax though compared to the discipline that I had received from my other martial arts schools. After I stopped studying Krav Maga I trained for 8 months with a friend who was a 3rd degree blackbelt in Aikido, and sparred quite frequently with a friend who had been studying Brazilian Jui Jitsu for 2 years. Currently I study a martial art called Jing Te Jutsu, which is a legit style although it is not widely known. It is a combination of Judo, Karate, Aiki-jitsu, Wing Chun Kung Fu, Kali, and Japanese Jui Jitsu, and some other minor contributions from other styles. I love martial arts, they are just such a part of my life that I cannot get away from them anymore. If anybody has any questions about any of those systems, or possibly others that my friends have studied, I'd be more than happen to discuss these things and how one system might fight you better than another.

(Bucks County)

Martial arts are more likely to help you than a gun. Any close range conflict is first a combatives issue(*), and only then a gun issue.

In that spirit: RIP, Carl Cestari.
    Last edited by dgg9; October 25th, 2007 at 02:30 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    I've always been a fan of various martial arts, anyone else?
    Yes, since age 10, and on and off since then: Goju Ryu, TKD, Choy Li Fut, Southern Praying Mantis, also a more modern amalgam style with grappling, etc.

(Allegheny County)

it's not always considered a martial art, but i wrestled in high school and in freestyle tournaments for many years during and after high school.

i found that wrestling is very useful in street fighting (was also a bouncer in college which got me in a few scraps).

i think krav maga looks really interesting, but i've never actually studied it. if anyone from the pittsburgh area is into krav maga and wants a training dummy, lemme know...you can practice beating on me as long as you teach me what your doing along the way

i also read a book called "attack proof" which describes a fighting style they call "guided chaos". it seems really interesting also...like it would actually be useful in a real fight. i've never had a chance to actually practice it, though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i also read a book called "attack proof" which describes a fighting style they call "guided chaos". it seems really interesting also...like it would actually be useful in a real fight. i've never had a chance to actually practice it, though.
    A lot of that book is about the "internal" martial arts. Yes, they CAN be street effective, but that depends on the instructor far more than the hard styles.

(Chester County)

In your area....
    http://www.kirkspma.com/index.cfm?page=4
    Krav Maga, BJJ, and some other stuff.
    http://www.mrstuartsmartialarts.com/
    FIGHT (www.fight2survive.com) - updated Krav with better weapons training

http://www.mccormickkarate.com/

Also FIGHT, and some other stuff.

I could honetly recommend the first two from personal experience, and have heard good things about the 3rd.

The stuff they all teach is for use in combat, not "sport" or competition where fancy kicks earn more points. Almost all of the techniques can cause permanent injury/ death if you do them correctly. You'll learn eye gouging, ear clapping, throat ripping, shoulder dislocating, finger "de-meating", and neck breaking...

These classes are 18+ and designed for folks who want to learn how to prevail in a fight for their life.

These skills are important when you STILL have your gun in your holster too!
    If you get a guy who's less than 6 feet away from you and has a blade in hand...you better deal with that blade before you deploy your handgun, or you'll just be trading a cut for a shot, and you'll both die.

(Allegheny County)

I don't think most people realize (or are willing) to put the effort into the continuous practice required for effective hand to hand self-defense. You can pretty much throw out 90% of the martial arts taught in the US because they are not designed or practical for street fighting. In addition, if your not in shape how long do you think you can fight "all out", a minute or 2 maybe? If you can't end the fight in 10-15 seconds it's gone to long. Krav Maga is probably one of the best fighting systems out there for real self defense applications, but the closest schools are in Ohio. Second choice, Boxing or Brazilian Jujitsu. All of these are a waste for self defense if you don't practice it on a regular basis and for the rest of your life.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Hawk, check out the FIGHT system....
    http://www.fight2survive.com
    They took most of the striking from Krav, and combined some weapons stuff from Kapap, and Lotar. I belive the disarms are stronger than many in Krav.

They have a REALLY good set of training materials...if you have a partner to spar with, you can really learn a lot of the material without making it to class.

I know of one instructor for the system who learned from the DVD's, then when he went down for the instructor cert all but walked through the process.

If you have a partner and the energy to put into it, you can learn a lot from the training materials. The techniques are simple, and brutal. Each school goes through all of the material every 4 months, then repeats it. It's setup to train like a military system...where you learn everything all at one, then keep going back over A-Z every time through. No waiting years to get to the weapons stuff, and you go over the basics with just as much frequency.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    In your area....
    http://www.kirkspma.com/index.cfm?page=4
    Krav Maga, BJJ, and some other stuff.
    I've done a good deal of combatives training, first with Krav Maga, then with Nick Hughes of Fight Survival Training, which kind of took the form of going to north Carolina for a week to train, then getting togeather with other students in a basement in Philly and training. In the area i can recommend that top link there. Ernie Kirk is another Disciple of Nick Hughes. Trained there for a bit, but it got to expensive for my budget.

I've recently started with a Judo club in the area with the following thoughts:

1. My standup fighting and striking is already solid.
    2. With MMA now being one of the most popular sports, more people are going out and training BJJ and so-forth. People wrestle in HS and college. Americans like taking it to the ground for some reason.
    3. I don't like being on the ground for obvious reasons. I can fight there (my technical ability is decent, my willingness to maim and fight dirty is exceptional but not always appropriate), I can also get booted to death there.
    4. Judo has great takedown defense since you want to stay on your feet.
    5. For obvious reasons, I like my opponent to be on the ground (so I can boot him to death).
    6. Judo emphasizes putting the other guy on the ground without necessarily following him.
    7. Judo can be trained at full speed and force against live opponents.
    8. If you take a Judo throw and take away the pads...getting hit with the earth will ruin ones shit.
    9. Nick Hughes told me it was a good idea.
    10. Nick can kick my ass so i listen to him.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast