Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Anyone here into hand-to-hand training?

Nope, not really into that stuff myself... Though I did beat the crap out of some guy that swore up and down he was a second degree black belt in some nonsense... I guess they didn't teach him the proper technique on how to handle a 6 foot tall, 300 pound guy jumping on you and trying to bite your face off... lol

However, when he woke up, he no longer wanted to fight anyone. He opted for a brisk jog instead...

Martial arts are great, and if I had spare time and money, I would look into it. However the fact that I can pick up and throw a 200 pound guy, gives me piece of mind for the moment... lol

Where can I learn me some Steven Segal shit? He's my hero... lol
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Americans like taking it to the ground for some reason.
    prolly cause we wrestled in high school.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    prolly cause we wrestled in high school.
    That's exactly right. It's just a bad place to be in a fight without a cushy mat, a single opponent and a ref making sure everyone fights nice.

(Bucks County)

MMA is really popular where im from (san jose, ca), ive trained a few times with my buddy at AKA (american kickboxing academy). I dont know if anybody follows UFC or WEC but, some good fighters have come out of there. I've learned that you sort of take hand to hand combat for granted when carrying a gun (you dont need hand to hand), and its kind of eye opening when somebody 25 lbs less than me would toss me on the mat or get me with some crazy ass submission. i definately have respect for anybody who trains for this stuff...not as easy as it looks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    It's just a bad place to be in a fight without a cushy mat, a single opponent and a ref making sure everyone fights nice.
    can be, i agree.

on the other hand, assuming a single opponent, if you aren't worried about fighting nice and you are the one who initiates going to the ground (or reacts better to going to the ground), the fact that there is no mat can be a good thing. throws are much more effective when the person you are throwing lands on asphalt instead of a mat, for example.

also, going to the ground is a good way to neutralize superior striking capabilities of your opponent. the old boxer vs. wrestler argument...standing up, the boxer wins, but they won't be standing up for very long...and, once on the ground, the wrestler wins.

but, yeah, nothing beats a good strike to the throat or a thumb to the eye. and, against multiple opponents, i would also agree you need to do everything you can to avoid going to the ground.

(Chester County)

It's good to hear so many of us don't singularly rely on firearms for protection.

In my opinion- small circle Jui-Jutsu, Chi'Na, and any art that emphasizes knee and elbow strikes are very effective in 'street' altercations; both to beat up someone or simply to control the adversary. I had a friend who was well versed in these. He taught me a lot of things, it's a shame I don't remember much. Many times, controlling a situation (small joint locks) is much better than actually harming an attacker. For one, there is a lot less negative feelings after the fact. Many times if someone knows that you can and will effectively beat the living shit out of them (excuse my language) if they attempt to escalate the situation any further than necessary, they will most often times back down.

One very important aspect of any martial art that many people over look, is a basic understanding of human anatomy. In some respects, this can give someone more of an advantage over an opponent than being stronger and/or faster. Knowing where a strike will deliver the most pain/debilitation (ex.- side kick to inside of knee) is one of, if not the most, important aspect to self defense. Any goon who is tall and heavy can throw punches. If the punches are ineffective, easily blocked or dodged, what's the use?

I would highly recommend the book Self Defense: Nerve Centers and Pressure Points by Bruce Tegner. The author uses words and illustrations to show which strikes would deal maximum damage to an adversary; as well as how said strike would effect an opponent of smaller, equal or greater stature.

One last point- it's easy to talk about fighting, self defense and everything in between. However, to actually use these skills quickly, correctly and efficiently in a self defense situation is a completely different story. The only thing left to do is train, train, and train some more. That being said... I gotta hit the gym!
    Last edited by tec; October 25th, 2007 at 04:02 PM.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Lawrence County)

What is the official term for getting someone in a head lock and gouging their eyes while sticking your pinky finger up their nose until it bleeds? Used that one before...

My way of fighting is this, make them not want to continue fighting you...

And dear God, if you're going to try and kick me, know how to kick... Don't throw your leg at me like a stone and then look dumbfounded when I catch it and crack your knee... lol
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Anyone here into hand-to-hand training?

Chazman: What is the official term for getting someone in a head lock and gouging their eyes while sticking your pinky finger up their nose until it bleeds? Used that one before...

man that right there is funny....
    i think the official term is "im so blitzed i thought i was givin a fishhook but i got the job done anyway"

im not one for the hand to hand so much. i think i would be intrested but like hawk said it takes a tremendus amount of up keep. Guess i havent had my ass kicked bad enough to know how valuable it is...

(Erie County)

Basic martial arts experience is : DanZan Ryu Jujitsu, Judo, Kenpo Jujitsu, Escrima, and Silat Serak. I've enjoyed all of these for the better part of 10 years (not all at the same time). Two basics things I've learned from my training: 1. A well executed throw on a hard surface will end most fights 2. Knowing how to manipulate an opponents joints is good knowledge. Keep in mind, you need to practice, practice, practice. You need to develop the muscle memory. The martial arts should be both practical and fun, both of these will keep you going back to continue your training.
    When the government has a knife at your throat and a hand on your wallet, it matters not whether it is the left or the right hand.

(Fulton County)

most people dont fight back.....just a thought

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast