Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Any rod & gun clubs accepting new members?

We live in the Herminie area and would like to join a local club. Are any of them accepting new members that anyone knows of?
    TO HIM THEREFORE WHO KNOWETH TO DO GOOD AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN. James 4:17]

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Any rod & gun clubs accepting new members?

I think youngwood sportsman is always accepting new members.

(Allegheny County)

also Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmans club is accepting members
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Westmoreland County)

Trafford sportsmans is always accepting new members

We have an indoor pistol range that is open to the public on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday evenings and Saturday afternoon

Come out and check us out and shoot a little bit.

(Westmoreland County)

LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

(Westmoreland County)

I'm new to shooting - my first rifle will be in this week (a Savage Mark II FSS ) and I'm looking for places to go shooting to sight in the scope and get some experience under my belt.

Was looking around the Norin area for any public/outdoor rifle ranges but couldn't find anything (closest I found was A&S Indoor Pistol down towards New Stanton). Anyone have any recommendations for public rifle ranges in the area?

And as a follow-up:

After searching the Westmoreland section of forums, seems most people end up joining clubs. The two previous replies in this thread for Traffords & White Oak gun clubs are both very close distances to me - but forgive the newbie question, what's the proper etiquette for joining a gun club?

Both places have websites with good information about their ranges & events, along with a membership/join section - but all the clubs seem to require sponorship (which makes perfect sense) as part of their application process.

But if you're new to the area, how are you supposed to find a sponsor? Do most of these clubs have public tours or meet & greet events for new folks?

Regards,
    Steve

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Norun6 View Post
    I'm new to shooting - my first rifle will be in this week (a Savage Mark II FSS ) and I'm looking for places to go shooting to sight in the scope and get some experience under my belt.

Was looking around the Norin area for any public/outdoor rifle ranges but couldn't find anything (closest I found was A&S Indoor Pistol down towards New Stanton). Anyone have any recommendations for public rifle ranges in the area?

And as a follow-up:

After searching the Westmoreland section of forums, seems most people end up joining clubs. The two previous replies in this thread for Traffords & White Oak gun clubs are both very close distances to me - but forgive the newbie question, what's the proper etiquette for joining a gun club?

Both places have websites with good information about their ranges & events, along with a membership/join section - but all the clubs seem to require sponorship (which makes perfect sense) as part of their application process.

But if you're new to the area, how are you supposed to find a sponsor? Do most of these clubs have public tours or meet & greet events for new folks?

Regards,
    Steve
    Trafford's Indoor Pistol Range is open to the general public on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday Evenings from 7:30 to 10:00, and on Saturday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:00pm (Call first). Monday nights they have their indoor bowling pin shoot. It is open to non members also. That's a really good time to get to know some of the members. The indoor pin shoot is for pistols of any caliber up to 44mag (we shoot paper targets). Almost everybody shoots 22s for the indoor shoot.

The indoor range is 25 yards long. Rifles can be used as long as they shoot one of the permitted pistol calibers.

I believe that their trap range is also open to non members on Friday evenings after 6:30, Sunday mornings after 12:30 and Wednesday mornings after 9:30am. On Wednesdays all the retired folk shoot, and they are always happy to lend advice to newbe shooters.