Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Gun Shop 'Personality'

The wife gives me a hard time occasionally, because I like to search out gunshops when we travel. All she see's is the 'same old - same old' guns in a glass case where I like to see the different 'personality' that every gun shop has.

These are some of my observations as to gun shops in our area:

Shupps Gunsmithing on Druck Valley Rd - John has lots of older rifles (40's thru 90's manufacture) most are trade-in hunting rifles and shotguns. Good to great prices on most of these. John is one of the very best guys in the business and as honest as the day is long. I just picked up a nice Winchester Model 1897 12ga manufactured in 1913. Great place for the C&R shopper. Not much by way of handguns but has a few.

Stonybrook Gun Shop - E. Market St - LOTS AND LOTS of handguns. Prices are good and he can get you just about anything you could possibly want. He has a few consignment guns but his 'bread and butter' is definitly new handguns of all makes and calibers. John has some 'black' rifles and a few hunting and shotguns but nothing old or too unusual. (Other than the 50cal Barrett on his counter!) Great prices and super to deal with.

Hakes - Wrightsville - Lots of hunting rifles and a very well stocked shop with all the shooting accessories anyone could ask for. Prices are good. Lots of hunting rifles and handguns. I bought some reloading supplies from them recently. Very nice people to deal with.

Layman's gun shop - East Prospect - A little of everything. Prices are so-so but nice to browse and see what they have. I think they do quite a bit of consignment. Lots of ammo. Always been nice to me when I am looking around.

Freedom Armory - High end. VERY nice indoor range (Not as big but just as nice as the NRA range in VA). LOTS of handguns and rifles. Mostly black rifles and high end pistols. They do have a good deal here or there on their consignment stuff. Very few shotguns. Quite a good selection of holsters and accessories (5.11 stuff, etc) Lots of tacticool stuff. Range time is expensive.

Anyway......just wanted to share some experiences with the local shops that I enjoy frequenting. Each one has it's strong points and drawbacks. My wife may never understand why I like to shop at so many different shops.....but then again...I may never understand why someone needs 14 pairs of shoes.

(York County)

Default Re: Gun Shop 'Personality'

I have done the same thing when traveling or PCSing into a new area. yes most of the firearms are the same but the shops are very different in how they deal with new folks. I have gone into a shop was not even greeted saw a revolver that I wanted- said loudly to my son that -that revolver would make a nice addition to my collection-still ignored. they still own that gun.

(York County)

I think you are just about spot on with your description on the gun shops around here. You forgot Backwoods though, and have you been to Gun Dealer online on Roherstown rd in Lacaster yet?

They are definately tacticool, very nice guys as well.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

You are right...I forgot to mention Backwoods Outfitters in Columbia.....probably one of my favorite shops!!

Backwoods strikes me as an 'everything' shop. I have seen everything in there from a VERY nice antique Marlin 30-30 to brand new Gen 4 Glocks. Always something worth looking at in there and the family who runs it is top notch. I have bought from them for several years and always glad when I find something to add to the collection!

I have to check out Gun Dealer online......just another place to add to the fun!