Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Reloader

(Cambria County)

Default New Reloader

I am a Brand New reloader. My wife just got me the Hornady Lock n Load AP for my birthday and I will probably have a million questions that probably seem petty to all of you. I just want to make sure I am doing things safe.

1. Is there any risk of primers going off when my loader is putting them up in the case?

2. Should I use the hand de-burring tool on every casing?

3. Is it possible to run a "ground wire" on my loader to reduce the static electricity that builds up in the powder hopper?

(Chester County)

Default Re: New Reloader

Visit www.ultimatereloader.com/?p=453 and also go to http://www.youtube.com/user/hornadymanufacturing and watch the Lock N Load AP Instructional video series. These things will help you immensely, but you likely will run into problems. Starting on a progressive may be a bit much, but if you're mechanically inclined, it should be easier.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherWeaponSystem View Post
    I am a Brand New reloader. My wife just got me the Hornady Lock n Load AP for my birthday and I will probably have a million questions that probably seem petty to all of you. I just want to make sure I am doing things safe.

1. Is there any risk of primers going off when my loader is putting them up in the case?

2. Should I use the hand de-burring tool on every casing?

3. Is it possible to run a "ground wire" on my loader to reduce the static electricity that builds up in the powder hopper?
    #1 yes but very very small and thats if your trying to use undue pressure or being ruff with things.,Wear safety glasses if its a big concern to you

#2 You can if you want but I only do if the case mouth looks rough .If you do deburr them you only need to do them once in their lifetime.

#3Yes its possible to ground the press or powder thrower,But your worrying too much.

This is a hobby that should be relaxing and enjoyable part of shooting,Yes there are some dangers and you are handling flamable powders and explosive primers. BUT your building not a Nuclear weapon .Relax do as much reading on the subject as you can .Reloading is only a series of mechanical steps that need to be done in a certain order nothing more nothing less. Its so easy a caveman can do it!!!! gain the knowledge first, follow the direction and take things slow till you get a handle on things you'll be fine.

Tim

also mindfull of how you bullets shoots, if you feel a weak load, field strip the gun and look to make sure there's no stuck bullet. don't shoot too fast at 1st and don't let other shoot your ammo until you are confident with them.

when you 1st set up it might take a while and it can frustrated but once everything is dailed in, it'll be smooth and you'll be shooting for less then 1/2 the cost of factory loads.

(Westmoreland County)

Its always best to side with safety, most of the BS reloading tragedy stories you hear, are just that, 99% of the time, it is someone not paying attention, or playing around with something they should not be. If you get a good reloading manuals, Hornady, Lee, or Lyman too name a few, read the beginners section, you will be fine. As said Smokeless powder will not explode and a ground wire would be a waste of time. As long as you use your Manuel as a Bible to start and have a good set of calipers to start. You want your OAL. Or (Cartridge Over All Length) Right. No one on here will give you a bad time about honest questions. One thing I will add, Do not get loads off the Net, you do not know who it is coming from.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post

#2 You can if you want but I only do if the case mouth looks rough .If you do deburr them you only need to do them once in their lifetime.
    Tim
    I deburr every time I trim the case length. How often you trim will be determined by what cartridges you load and how 'hot' you load them.

I second the loading manual advice, Lyman has the best how to section in my opinion.

Dale

(Susquehanna County)

On your very next trip to the store to get supplies buy 2 reloading manuals instead. Speer #14, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Sierra and others are all very good. Once you have the books read the "how to" sections and the sections covering components so you understand the differences in powders and primers. Make sure you have a good scale, a set of good steel calipers and an inertia bullet puller (it's the reloaders "eraser") and know how to use them before you assemble one cartridge.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    On your very next trip to the store to get supplies buy 2 reloading manuals instead. Speer #14, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Sierra and others are all very good. Once you have the books read the "how to" sections and the sections covering components so you understand the differences in powders and primers. Make sure you have a good scale, a set of good steel calipers and an inertia bullet puller (it's the reloaders "eraser") and know how to use them before you assemble one cartridge.
    Follow Brick's advice.
    Brick, very positive advice.

(Cambria County)

Thank you everybody for the advice.