Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Is 38 +P as good a defensive round as 9mil?

Im not into ballistic comparisons so Ill just ask you experts. Is a good 38+P hollow point as effective/more effective than 9 mm HPs for a defensive round?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Is 38 +P as good a defensive round as 9mil?

.22lr @ center mass round would quickly end an attempt at your life. I suppose if you live in the ghetto and are amungst crack heads and meth heads that keep walking with holes in their chest, you might want to step up to a .50 desert eagle. Desert Eagle will cause enough massive trauma in their chest where the invinceble drugs wont work any more. True story

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    .22lr @ center mass round would quickly end an attempt at your life. I suppose if you live in the ghetto and are amungst crack heads and meth heads that keep walking with holes in their chest, you might want to step up to a .50 desert eagle. Desert Eagle will cause enough massive trauma in their chest where the invinceble drugs wont work any more. True story
    That's an awful lot of mythology there. Are you writing a gun owners gag book?

A .22lr center of mass won't do much physical damage unless it hits something critical, like the heart or spine, and even then that person may have a few seconds of fight left in them. You can hit the lung, or some other organs, and it might take hours or days for them to die. You could also pass straight through flesh and not hit anything vital at all. This could be said for .38, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, so on and so forth. From the research I've done you're not going to see any significant difference until you get into rifle calibers. A 9mm, or a 45acp for that matter isn't going to obliterate flesh coming out of a 5 inch barrel from 5 yards away.

You could shoot someone in the meat of the thigh, with a .22lr, and have it pass straight through and that person would fall to the ground in agony screaming not to kill them, or they might pass out.

.38spl is not better than 9mm going by the ballistics tests that have been done. That being said, 9mm isn't better than .38spl if the person holding the gun doesn't know what to do with it. Get some training.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Actually thats bad advice that can actually get someone killed, not all the crackheads and methheads are "in the Ghetto" they are in Suburbia too , heck some of your neighbors might be crackheads, cokeheads too, more drugs are consumed in "nice neighborhoods " than any Ghetto believe it not , just that its more private.
    The point is to be aware regardless of where you are.

No the .38 special is not the equal of the 9mm but it is one heck of a good defensive round, i have no problem carrying it from time to time and i own .40's , .45's , 9mm, .357's and .357 Sigs.
    the .38 is a good round that will be around for a much longer time than it is already.

Nyman

(Chester County)

Ok then. You guys most know alot of people that love to get shot by .22s and keep coming for more. If you got shot by a .22lr at any range below 100 yards, you would be on the ground screaming for an ambulance. Alot of people carry .22 for defense. Its a good concealable weapon. I personally carry a .45 becuase I like the .45. All Im saying is caliber dont mean crap. .22 will do its job very well and leave an attacker cryin like a baby or possible kill him. Wake up people

(Montgomery County)

Is 38 +P as good a defensive round as 9mil?
    WTF does .22lr have to do with the question in the OP???

I think mrnyman answered the question pretty well.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Monroe County)

Ok then. You guys most know alot of people that love to get shot by .22s and keep coming for more. If you got shot by a .22lr at any range below 100 yards, you would be on the ground screaming for an ambulance. Alot of people carry .22 for defense. Its a good concealable weapon. I personally carry a .45 becuase I like the .45. All Im saying is caliber dont mean crap. .22 will do its job very well and leave an attacker cryin like a baby or possible kill him. Wake up people
    I am awake, unfortunately, and claiming that one round from a .22lr COM will drop anyone except those high on PCP is really bad advice and can get good people killed. Alot of people carry a .22lr because the guns are ultra concealable, the ammo is dirt cheap, it's easy to control, and they listen to people like you who tell them it only takes one round COM to drop an attacker.

.22lr is garbage, and anyone who carries one should have put some serious thought into it. If I hear them say "it only takes one shot COM with a .22lr. Bob" I'm going to help them understand there are better options out there, because they are clearly, and dangerously misinformed. I wish everyone would carry, and a .22lr is better than nothing. It's also something I would NEVER consider when reliable, reasonably priced, high value pocket guns like the ruger LCP are available, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    WTF does .22lr have to do with the question in the OP???

I think mrnyman answered the question pretty well.
    wtf does it have to do with it you ask? 38+p or 9mm , either will stop any man. But I can see that you guys on this forum are similar to most on any other forum. Very aggresive and quick to get jumpy and not be open minded. Once one person disagrees with something, everyone jumps on the wagon. Thought maybe that since were mostly all from pa and firearm enthusiast that this forum would be diff. Sorry if I offended you guys so much. Let us never fear a .22lr at close range. The round tickles

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    No the .38 special is not the equal of the 9mm but it is one heck of a good defensive round, Nyman
    Correct answer.

As far as a 22lr, can it do the job "YES" of course so could a well placed stone from a sling shot but I wouldn't recommend either.

(Perry County)

wtf does it have to do with it you ask? 38+p or 9mm , either will stop any man. But I can see that you guys on this forum are similar to most on any other forum. Very aggresive and quick to get jumpy and not be open minded. Once one person disagrees with something, everyone jumps on the wagon. Thought maybe that since were mostly all from pa and firearm enthusiast that this forum would be diff. Sorry if I offended you guys so much. Let us never fear a .22lr at close range. The round tickles
    no one is denying that .22lr isn't going to hurt. hell, I wouldn't doubt that most people would run at the sight of a gun.

that's not the point though. You want to be able to stop ANY threat as quickly as possible if your life is on the line. There are a lot of variables (clothing, resistance to pain, etc) and a .22lr won't be able deal with all of those variables.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast