Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is 38 +P as good a defensive round as 9mil?

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    wtf does it have to do with it you ask? 38+p or 9mm , either will stop any man. But I can see that you guys on this forum are similar to most on any other forum. Very aggresive and quick to get jumpy and not be open minded. Once one person disagrees with something, everyone jumps on the wagon. Thought maybe that since were mostly all from pa and firearm enthusiast that this forum would be diff. Sorry if I offended you guys so much. Let us never fear a .22lr at close range. The round tickles
    Dude - relax.
    I'm not disagreeing with anyone.

I'm simply saying the OP asked a specific question,

Is 38 +P as good a defensive round as 9mil?
    and you start posting about 22's and 45's.

No shit a 45 is better than a 22, but that wasn't the question that the OP was looking for an answer to.

Personally, I think that unless you are carrying anything smaller than a 12 gauge loaded up with 1 oz slugs, and a LAWS rocket as a BUG, you are severely under gunned.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Chester County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

1000 dollars to any of you that will let me shoot you in the gut with a .22lr at 10 yards. Better yet 50 yards. Pm me. cash in hand. Sling shot my ass. I will be using a .22lr in a ruger handgun and you will have to sign a waiver. Ok lets see if we have any takers.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Dude - relax.
    I'm not disagreeing with anyone.

I'm simply saying the OP asked a specific question,

and you start posting about 22's and 45's.

No shit a 45 is better than a 22, but that wasn't the question that the OP was looking for an answer to.

Personally, I think that unless you are carrying anything smaller than a 12 gauge loaded up with 1 oz slugs, and a LAWS rocket as a BUG, you are severely under gunned.
    no bad blood man. Im just seeing to much of a pattern of people thinking that a .22 isnt a good enough defense round. Im astounded by this. I do not carry one because im more of a .45 cal fan

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post

You could shoot someone in the meat of the thigh, with a .22lr, and have it pass straight through and that person would fall to the ground in agony screaming not to kill them, or they might pass out.
    Or they might hop around on the other leg yelling "Fuck, ahhhh, shit, that really hurt!" Then maybe they'd kick your ass because you're not very quick at reloading your .22 derringer... *rolls eyes*

.22 is just about the worst defense caliber there is (.25 acp not included) for defense. This is common knowledge. Is it better than a pointy stick? Yes, arguably, depending on the heft of your stick...

The only good reasons to carry a .22 are either deep, deep concealment or as a back up to a back up (Which is silly anyway in the age of tiny polymer .380s.)

I saw an episode of Cops once where officers were responding to a shooting. They got there and there was a shirtless guy pacing up and down the street, swearing and yelling "Damnit it hurts, ouch. That dude shot me." He got shot right in the chest, top of the pec. Later the cops found the gun used. They layed it on the hood for the camera man. It was a Ruger Bearcat.

I'm sorry this is totally of topic OP. I too was interested in a balistic comparison between .38 and 9mm. Sorry you got trolled.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

back on topic-
    here is a link to a handgun ballistics chart

http://waterguy.us/handgun.htm

some interesting info there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Or they might hop around on the other leg yelling "Fuck, ahhhh, shit, that really hurt!" Then maybe they'd kick your ass because you're not very quick at reloading your .22 derringer... *rolls eyes*

.22 is just about the worst defense caliber there is (.25 acp not included) for defense. This is common knowledge. Is it better than a pointy stick? Yes, arguably, depending on the heft of your stick...

The only good reasons to carry a .22 are either deep, deep concealment or as a back up to a back up (Which is silly anyway in the age of tiny polymer .380s.)

I saw an episode of Cops once where officers were responding to a shooting. They got there and there was a shirtless guy pacing up and down the street, swearing and yelling "Damnit it hurts, ouch. That dude shot me." He got shot right in the chest, top of the pec. Later the cops found the gun used. They layed it on the hood for the camera man. It was a Ruger Bearcat.

I'm sorry this is totally of topic OP. I too was interested in a balistic comparison between .38 and 9mm. Sorry you got trolled.
    no. i do appologise to all of you senior members for side tracking the whole thread with my very first comment and bringing .22s into discussion.
    I also have to comment about some dude wobbling around with one functional leg kicking someones ass. If that was the case, I would turn the gun on my self to save from the embarrasment later on lol

(Bucks County)

The OP asked a simple question and got 15 responses and only 2 had anything to do with his question. Don't know why .22lr got into it but it is what it is. IMHO the 9 is a better defensive round. My we are a fiesty bunch.

(Montgomery County)

so according to the chart:

a 38spl 125gr JHP shot out of a 4" barreled gun, travels 945 feet per second and creates 248 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

a 9mm 115gr JHP shot out of a 4" barreled gun, travels 1225 feet per second and creates 383 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

There isn't any reference made as to which guns where used when getting this data.
    There is less energy wasted with bullets shot through pistols (bottom feeders) than there is with bullets shot through revolvers due to the gap between the cylinder and the beginning of the barrel. I don't know exactly what percentage of energy is lost.

So to finally answer the OP's question, all other things being equal, 9mm is a more effective round than 38spl

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    so according to the chart:

a 38spl 125gr JHP shot out of a 4" barreled gun, travels 945 feet per second and creates 248 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

a 9mm 115gr JHP shot out of a 4" barreled gun, travels 1225 feet per second and creates 383 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle.

There isn't any reference made as to which guns where used when getting this data.
    There is less energy wasted with bullets shot through pistols (bottom feeders) than there is with bullets shot through revolvers due to the gap between the cylinder and the beginning of the barrel. I don't know exactly what percentage of energy is lost.

So to finally answer the OP's question, all other things being equal, 9mm is a more effective round than 38spl
    And....with 3x the rounds in a magazine.....that would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    Ok then. You guys most know alot of people that love to get shot by .22s and keep coming for more. If you got shot by a .22lr at any range below 100 yards, you would be on the ground screaming for an ambulance. Alot of people carry .22 for defense. Its a good concealable weapon. I personally carry a .45 becuase I like the .45. All Im saying is caliber dont mean crap. .22 will do its job very well and leave an attacker cryin like a baby or possible kill him. Wake up people
    Not so much. There have been thousands upon thousands of people shot by much larger calibers that keep on going without being drugged up. It will all depend on the mentality of the individual.

I saw a guy hit in the chest by 7.62x54 and keep on fighting, and another by .22lr in the leg and screamed like a little girl. So in short YMMV.
    "Kicking the darkness until it bleeds light."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast