Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Smile LTCF renewal today

I went to the Bucks courthouse today to get my LTCF renewed. Spoke with several deputies in the process. ALL OF THEM were helpful, friendly, courteous, and actually seemed to enjoy assisting citizens with their needs. UNBEFUCKINGLEIVABLE!!! I was truly impressed.
    When the deputy working the counter first told me, at the start of the encounter that the fee is $46, I resisted. I explained that state law is that the fee is capped at $25 or $26, I can't recall. She knew this and explained about the plastic license being much sturdier. I explained about warminster cops being thugs and a-holes, and I prefer the paper license so I can pee on it once in a while. She asked why and I told her for the same reason I pee on the registration and insurance cards, "So the a-hole gets a handful of stinky piss-stained document. If they are going to rob me, well, i am at least going to enjoy it". Three deputies and four ladies sitting and standing nearby all grinned at that. They know the score. She talked me into the plastic license. Well, I am a sucker for a pretty girl with a wonderful attitude.
    After they got the paperwork filled out she took me back to take the picture. It is taken in a room with a sign that reads "holding cell". I acted like I didn't want to go in there. She had issues with the machine not working, so we sat there and waited for someone to help get it running. We passed the time with me telling her jokes and funny stories. Eventually it got itself back up, and she proceeded.
    We discussed OC and what a welcome surprise to find that she knew all the laws and fully supports it. I told her about my hometown cops being total a-holes and thugs with badges and she was aware of the Warminster cops. Not on her 'favorites' list either.
    Anyway, when was the last time you had to go and do business, at the courthouse, got overcharged in the process, had a great time, and walked away wishing it had taken longer? That is how I felt as I walked out of the courthouse today! I actually found a government employee that was pleasant and helpful. Actually , I found a whole department of them.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: LTCF renewal today

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    I actually found a government employee that was pleasant and helpful. Actually , I found a whole department of them.
    That was probably just a side effect over their excitement and enthusiasm over breaking the law.

18 PA.C.S. 6109(h): (1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19.
    (2)(ii) An additional temporary fee of $5 shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License to Carry Modernization Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury.
    (3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.
    (4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
    (7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.
    18 Pa.C.S. 6109(e)(3): The license to carry a firearm shall be designed to be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be in a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
    37 Pa.Code. 33.115: (a) The Pennsylvania license to carry firearms (as defined in section 6102 of the act (relating to definitions)) form, shall be constructed as a three-part form, 3 inches by 5 3/8 inches in dimension, on white paper. The issuing authorities, that is, county sheriff or a chief of police for a city of the first class, shall utilize the form as prescribed by the State Police.
    (d) Under section 6109 of the act (relating to licenses), the original shall be issued to the licensee and be valid for 5 years from date of issue, unless revoked sooner. The first copy shall be transmitted by the issuing authority within 7 business days by first class mail to the State Police, Attention: Firearm Unit, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17110. The second copy shall be retained by the issuing authority for 6 years.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    That was probably just a side effect over their excitement and enthusiasm over breaking the law.

and outright telling you they know all about what the law says...

As the other guys have stated... basically if they want to give you a "much sturdier", laminated LTCF that's fine...but just charge you $25 for it.

You fell for the old "a pretty girl will get 'em to pay more" routine

(Bucks County)

yes and no. I see all the points you are making, but I was just pleased to have found a few of "my" employees to be in possession of a courteous attitude and the ability to be nice. This contrasts greatly with the horrible jack booted thugs in Warminster.

there is something in the works to rectify the incorrect billing. I am sure there will be a way to recoup losses when that happens.

(Bucks County)

there is something in the works to rectify the incorrect billing. I am sure there will be a way to recoup losses when that happens.

Recoup by who? Us? Don't count on it. All he has to say is you "chose" the higher price "option"....

(Dauphin County)

Not only is there no point in waiting on a thing that is by no means sure; you have the power right now to start the process to receive the refund. I have no idea why you'd wait for someone else to carry that weight for you. You won't be the first or last person affected by the strongarming by the sheriffs office; the next guy will be conned, too, and it will continue until something is done -- by someone -- by anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Recoup by who? Us? Don't count on it. All he has to say is you "chose" the higher price "option"....
    There is no such thing; AxiTech was essentially denied a license. His document may legally represent licensure per 6109(e)(3) based on what it bears, but you will notice also in (e)(3) that the license shall be uniform and prescribed by the state police, which they have done at 37 Pa.Code. 33.115. Neither the sheriff nor the licensee can 'choose' any type of license; it doesn't get any more clear than 33.115(a).

That failure to issue a paper license is criminal, one way or the other, either by the UFA or the nonfeasance statute for county officers.
    § 33.122. Fines and other penalties.
    This chapter is promulgated under the authority contained in the act, and will be prosecuted as a violation of the act.
    § 6119. Violation penalty.
    Except as otherwise specifically provided, an offense under
    this subchapter constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    and/or
    16 P.S. 411 or 16 P.S. 3411. If any county officer neglects or refuses to perform any duty imposed on him by the provisions of this act, or by the provisions of any other act of Assembly, or by any rule of court, or other provision of law, he shall, for each such neglect or refusal, be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500).

His failure to perform a positive ministerial statutory presumably opens him up to removal from office.

So, AxiTech should file a private criminal complaint charging 6109(h)(7), 33.115, and 16 p.s. 411/3411. If the DA denies it, he should appeal. If he can't get the DA or the judges to care, he should refile a complaint alleging only the summary charge (6109(h)(7)), and prosecute it himself, asking for restitution upon conviction, and there will be his refund.

(Northampton County)

I'm going to skip past all the "You paid too much" responses and get to this...

I actually found a government employee that was pleasant and helpful. Actually , I found a whole department of them.
    The great majority of the time, folks are just folks, doing a job and making a living, looking to get through the day without having shit roll downhill at them from some PITA higher up the ladder, and if they can have some fun too then it's all gravy.

When I went and got my initial license almost 6 months ago in northampton, the lady in one office stayed a bit late for me the first day and the deputies downstairs held off starting their end-of-day processing until after I got there, which was also past their closing time.

The old proverb about a drop of honey catching more flies than a barrel of vinegar really counts, especially with folks who generally have as little power over the details of their job as the rest of us do with ours. Nobody likes being worked like a dog all day every day, just like nobody likes being kicked around and treated like a trained cur either.

I'm glad you exercised your humane right to be nice. I'm glad those folks in the office weren't burned out on dealing with citizens with bad attitudes, so they could respond with their own friendliness.