Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Is the world going to end? (Beretta content)

Last Saturday when I was at the range, I managed to jam my otherwise without a hiccup Beretta 92FS. Well technically I didn't do it so much as the extractor failed to fully extract the last round before attempting to feed a new one.

It wasn't a difficult jam to clear but it was a bit time consuming should I need the gun. This is my daily carry gun. Should I replace just the extractor spring or the extractor itself as well? The gun continued to function without problems afterward.

I put maybe 100 rounds a week through it at most. I clean it regularly and detail stripped it no more than a month ago.

Also, I ordered a new locking block directly from Beretta USA and had the item at my house the next day with standard ground shipping. Is Beretta trying to turn their lousy customer service image around?

So not only did I have a jam in a 92FS but Beretta shipped my product in a timely fashion. I feel like the world is spinning backward.

-Zach

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Is the world going to end? (Beretta content)

I wouldn't account a single FTE to worn parts. You have to remember, guns are just mechanical devices and sometimes they fail to operate correctly even if they are in 100% condition.

Does the extractor appear to be worn? It really never hurts to replace springs though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

My 92F did the same damn thing yeasterday!!!
    Extracter failed to pull empty, and slide tried to load the next round. After that single FTE, she ran just fine the rest of the day.

I was bit dumb founded to be honest with you...

My 92F is near a 1/4 of century old(1988 produced). While it does not appeared to be fired much, replacing all the spring may not be a bad idea...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

Now the real question is, does anybody make a complete spring kit for the gun at a reasonable price? I find paying 3$ and change for a trigger spring to be absurd.

Additionally, I keep seeing a "spare parts kit" for sale, but I don't need extra magazine followers, locking blocks (I just bought one), hammer springs or hammer spring caps...etc...It just seems like an awful lot of parts that I am paying for that I don't want or need. I just want all of the springs.

Perhaps it doesn't exist or perhaps my google-fu is weak.

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

All mechanical devices can and will fail. The above video is a great drill to practice. There is no reason that a malfunction should take any long period of time. Practice, practice and then practice some more.

Do not feel bad about the Beretta. They all jam, even the venerable Glock.

It is a great idea to replace all of the springs in a carry pistol every 3000 rounds or two years. Sure, it costs money but so does maintaining any other machine.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

The service pak at the bottom seems fair to me @ $19.
    http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...ID1/mID2/dID36

My 92F was my first handgun I bought 20 yrs ago and is still my go to, trust my life to, most reliable pistol...I have had to replace nothing on it yet.
    Last edited by Beardog; August 13th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

Do not feel bad about the Beretta. They all jam, even the venerable Glock.

It is a great idea to replace all of the springs in a carry pistol every 3000 rounds or two years. Sure, it costs money but so does maintaining any other machine.
    You're wrong. Glocks never jam.

(hides and waits for a chair to be thrown)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    You're wrong. Glocks never jam.

(hides and waits for a chair to be thrown)

I always prefer to settle things in a more manly way, like a pissing contest.

The major causes of the malfunctions I have seen in my experience with autoloaders is user error, ammunition quality and pistol problems. In that order.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post

All mechanical devices can and will fail. The above video is a great drill to practice. There is no reason that a malfunction should take any long period of time. Practice, practice and then practice some more.
    Got to agree with ya. I actually load a few rounds per hundred so they won't feed correctly, or will fail to fire just so I can practice it real time when Im out at the range.
    "Kicking the darkness until it bleeds light."

(Monroe County)

My M&P pro series used to do this same jam all the time... I can clear it with my eyes closed. Dont tell the army they might get pissed to here that their baby isn't perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast