Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Advice wanted on Quad Rail for an AR15

I have a Stag Model 2 that has the flat top receiver and standard handguard. I am looking to upgrade to a quad rail handguard. I'm not looking for brand recommendations (yet) because thats the chevy vs ford debate. What I would like to know is should I look for a simple drop in replacement or a do-it-yourself free float. I don't want to spend a fortune for a free-float that I have to take to a gunsmith.

For example, Daniel Defense offers the EZ CAR 7 that drops in just like the standard handguard. They also offer the Omega 7 that free-floats with no permanent modifications to the rifle. According to the DD site, the EZ sells for $159 and the Omega sells for $285. I know I could find them cheaper eslewhere, but my main question is - Is it worth the extra $125 for the free float?

My rifle is used for target/plinking/eventually 3-gun shooting (nothing professional) and a SHTF gun. I would like to mount a foregrip, tac light, and I'll probably have to move my EoTech forward once I get the 3x magnifier.

Opinions welcome, Thanks in advance!
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you.

(York County)

Default Re: Advice wanted on Quad Rail for an AR15

If you aren't looking for brand recommendations....what exactly are you looking for?

For DIY free-float, I'm a fan of drop in kits like Vltor's CAS-V, but that's towards the higher end of your price range. By the time I tricked mine out how I wanted it, I probably could have built/bought a new upper and a cheap lower and had a whole 'nother rifle.

(Franklin County)

I am definitely open to some brand recommendations. I'm looking to stay around $150-200 if possible. But if it'd be worth my money, I could go to $250. It'd be nice to go less so I have some cash for other add-ons.

I guess what I'm really after is will a standard drop-in quad rail (DD, Midwest Industries,Troy, etc) serve the needs I mentioned? I'm not into uber-precision shooting, so would I notice a big difference is going to a free float system? If I won't notice a big change, I'll look for something in the $150 range and save some money.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you.

(Allegheny County)

I'd reccomend the DD Omega, I have one on my AR and it's a simple install. It's also a FF DI and solid as a rock. Here's a pic on my AR.

Or you can get a KAC M4 RAS kit which you can pick them up on ar15.com reasonably cheap. They come with the rail panels and VFG and I seen them selling for new in the 125.00-150.00 range brand new.

(Philadelphia County)

I've gone through a bunch of these, bought, tried, sold... dropped in, FF with proprietary barrel nut, FF attached to delta ring assembly, and FF attached to standard barrel nut. After all the trials, I found that the FF with proprietary barrel nut, although takes the most work, makes me the happiest. Everything else seemed to be work-arounds.

The drop-ins generally leaves that gap between the rail and the flat top. VLTOR CASV-EL solves this, but raises the top rail up and prevents proper co-witness. I think the CASV-S has the step down to rectify co-witnessing, but it only work on midlength gas system; otherwise, you'll have to replace the FSB with a LP gas block.

I tried the Ergo AR Z FF drop-in, which requires only the removal of the delta ring, but the quality was poor and it didn't fit my billet upper. (BTW, there is a trick to removing the delta ring without have to Dremel it off or removing the FSB, if you go that route, let me know, I'll show you).

I ended up with a DD 12" Omega X FSP, which were for a period on sale for $179 from many sellers. I absolutely love the look, the weight, and the quality of the DD rails. Here's the final for good measure.

I had/have Troy, Magpul MOE drop-in, CASV-EL, POF-USA predator, and YHM too. I still have a VLTOR VIS and a Badger Ordnance waiting to be built.

A few other considerations:
    1. Check the weight, YHM rails are really heavy. Even the CASV-EL adds about 1lbs. Troy makes great rails and lightweight too.

2. Watch for rails that require special tools. These can be half the cost of a gunsmith installation fee.

3. Rail covers are musts! They make the rails look better and really soften the sharp metal edges.

4. Keep an eye our for sales. Don't hesitate to buy 2nd hand, but do price research first.

Overall, I'd add a few bucks and get a DD true FF and have it installed by a professional.

Good luck.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; August 13th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I've gone through a bunch of these, bought, tried, sold... dropped in, FF with proprietary barrel nut, FF attached to delta ring assembly, and FF attached to standard barrel nut. After all the trials, I found that the FF with proprietary barrel nut, although takes the most work, makes me the happiest. Everything else seemed to be work-arounds.

The drop-ins generally leaves that gap between the rail and the flat top. VLTOR CASV-EL solves this, but raises the top rail up and prevents proper co-witness. I think the CASV-S has the step down to rectify co-witnessing, but it only work on midlength gas system; otherwise, you'll have to replace the FSB with a LP gas block.

I tried the Ergo AR Z FF drop-in, which requires only the removal of the delta ring, but the quality was poor and it didn't fit my billet upper. (BTW, there is a trick to removing the delta ring without have to Dremel it off or removing the FSB, if you go that route, let me know, I'll show you).

I ended up with a DD 12" Omega X FSP, which were for a period on sale for $179 from many sellers. I absolutely love the look, the weight, and the quality of the DD rails. Here's the final for good measure.

I had/have Troy, Magpul MOE drop-in, CASV-EL, POF-USA predator, and YHM too. I still have a VLTOR VIS and a Badger Ordnance waiting to be built.

A few other considerations:
    1. Check the weight, YHM rails are really heavy. Even the CASV-EL adds about 1lbs. Troy makes great rails and lightweight too.

2. Watch for rails that require special tools. These can be half the cost of a gunsmith installation fee.

3. Rail covers are musts! They make the rails look better and really soften the sharp metal edges.

4. Keep an eye our for sales. Don't hesitate to buy 2nd hand, but do price research first.

Overall, I'd add a few bucks and get a DD true FF and have it installed by a professional.

Good luck.

Al

What he offers here is great advice. I have the drop-in VLTOR CASV-M with a low profile gas block installed, as well as a propietary front sight post (more $$) to allow proper co-witnessing. None of the options above are impossible to install yourself, but you will have to invest in the right set of tools to do some basic things (armorers wrench, punches, allen keys, etc.). If you take your time and do it right you should have a good product at the end. If you don't want to make the investment, looking at a whole new upper is probably your best bet.

(Wyoming County)

I like the rails by yankee hill. Holds great and looks good.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooker8 View Post
    I like the rails by yankee hill. Holds great and looks good.
    +1 for YHM

Can't bring myself to spend $250+ for a handguard. Drop-in aluminum handguards are more expensive than a similar free-float handguard, and the free-float handguards aren't that difficult to install.

The lightweight YHM may not work well with Larue mounts because the center of the dovetail is cut away, but the Diamond handguards are almost as light.

The Spike's Tactical handguards may be worth a try too.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Be careful with YHM, they can be heavy as hell. Do you really want to make a light gun heavier?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Wyoming County)

If you go to a local shop you can hold both...
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast